Luis Suarez Gets Four Month Ban And 9-Match Suspension: Watch Him Bite Bakkal, Ivanovic and Chiellini [VIDEOS]
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 27, 2014 11:01 AM EST
Luis Suarez has been suspended from any football-related activity for four months. He is also banned from playing in nine official matches for his national team effectively taking him out of the 2014 FIFA World CUp. Uruguay are set to play against Colombia on June 28. He has been found guilty of unspoting behavious towards another player according to a statement in the official FIFA Website.
Uruguay's Luis Suarez holds his teeth during the 2014 World Cup Group D soccer match between Uruguay and Italy at the Dunas arena in Natal June 24, 2014. Italy's Giorgio Chiellini accused Suarez of biting his shoulder.
The FIFA Disciplinary Commitee has made the decision on charges made against Suarez in the incident in which he bit Italy's Giorgio Chiellini during Uruguay's group stage clash against the Azzurri. Suarez was seen jostling with Chiellini and leaning into Chiellini's shoulder. When they both hit the ground, they both appear to be in pain with Suarez clutching his teeth and with Chiellini pulling away his collar in an attempt to show the referee that he had been bitten. No call was made during the match but FIFA launched an investigation and have reached a decision before Uruguay's next match in the ongoing tournament.
Suarez is not only banned from playing but he is also banned from entering a stadium where Uruguay will be playing during the length of his ban. He is also being ordered to pay a fine of 100,000 Swiss Francs.
What is perhaps a big factor here is that this would not be the first time that Suarez will be charged with biting an opponent and getting penalised for it. Back in 2010 wile playing for Ajax Amsterdam, Suarez bit PSV Eindhoven player Ottman Bakkal. He served a seven game penalty after this incident.
Watch Suarez bite Bakkal:
*Video from YouTube/Shazzy Mazzy4
Just last year, Suarez was involved in yet another biting incident this time at English club Liverpool. Suarez bit into the arm of Chelsea FC's Branislav Ivanovic. He served a longer sentence that time with a 10-match suspension. Both bites occured during local league games and while publicized, his latest stunt is the biggest yet and this being he third offense, questions are being raised as to whether FIFA will ban him in international competition as well as in club football.
Watch Suarez bite Ivanovic:
Video from: Youtube/aliyanzz
Psychologists believe that Suarez reats this way when frustrated and biting is his instinctive reaction. In an email sent to Reuters, Eva Kimonis, senior lecturer at the School of Psychology at the University of New South Wales in Australia said that Suarez can stop his habit of biting people when frustrated but it won't be easy.
"It's likely that he did not give thought to the serious repercussions of his actions given his violent history in the sport until it was too late, at which point he acted injured. While common in early childhood, biting in adults is rare. It may be one manifestation of a broader, long-term pattern of misbehavior that involves other forms of aggression - hitting, bullying, shouting, physical fighting - and is common to people with particularly hot tempers and impulsiveness." Kimonis said.
"If there is an acceptance that this is a problem then individual work on identifying and modifying his stress signature would be helpful, This is not quick. Changing habits of a lifetime takes commitment, effort and persistence over months but the impact can be powerful." added Dr. Corinne Reid a clinical psychologist from the School of Psychology and Exercise Science at Murdoch University in Western Australia,
Watch Suarez bite Chiellini:
*Video from: YouTube/FIFA World Cup 2014 Brazil
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff