Despite $2 Billion Loss Due to Plummeting Iron Ore Prices, Mining Magnate Gina Rinehart Is Still Number 1 on BRW Rich 200 List
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 27, 2014 10:01 AM EST
Despite losing $2 billion in the last 12 months due to plummeting iron ore prices, mining magnate Gina Rinehart is still Australia's richest person and topped the 2014 BRW Rich 200 list released on Thursday.
Her fortune is down to $20.01 billion from $22.02 billion a year ago. Nevertheless, Rinehart's wealth is thrice that of Anthony Pratt, the second richest person in Australia and the chief executive officer of Pratt Industries.
On third place is Crown CEO James Packer with an estimated wealth of $7.19 billion, while fourth placer is Frank Lowy of Westfield Group with a wealth of $7.16 billion.
There are now 14 women on the billionaires' list from only 6 in 1984. To be included in the list, one must have a minimum $250 million wealth, which was only $10 million in 1984. The average wealth of those in the list zoomed to $968 million from $29 million and average age also increase to 64 from 56.
Stricken off the list is Wotif.com founder Graeme Wood after he failed to reach the $250 million benchmark due to falling shareprices and a series of shares sales. Five were also delisted because of death, including Perth developer Len Buckeridge and Harvey Norman co-founder Ian Norman.
Here is the top 10 list.
1. Gina Rinehart - $20.01 billion
2. Anthony Pratt - $7.64 billion
3. James Packer - $7.19 billion
4. Frank Lowly - $7.16 billion
5. Ivan Glasenberg - $6.62 billion
6. Hui Wing Mau - $6.35 billion
7. Andrew Forrest - $5.86 billion
8. Harry Triguboff - $5.5 billion
9. John Gandel - $4.08 billion
10. Kerr Neilson - $3.35 billion.
Rinehart's billions comes from Hancock Prospecting, a mining company that her father, Lang Hancock, founded. However, the Rinehart family is currently divided after three of Gina's adult children filed a lawsuit seeking her removal from the family trust which has a value of $5 billion.
Gina has stepped down, but insists on appointing an independent trustee to replace her, while eldest daughter Bianca wants to take her place. The case is still ongoing.
YouTube/News Corp Australia
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc. Stock Surge Observed as Hedge Funds 'Feasted' Ahead of iPhone 6 Launch
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Vodafone Buys Ericsson Equipment to Replace 5-Year-Old Network Technologies
- Small Businesses Claim Positive Financial Situation but Negative on Outlook
- Perfume Maker Elizabeth Arden Blames Poor Q4 Financial Results on Justin Bieber Scent
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists