Canadian Sweetheart Eugenie Bouchard Moves to 3rd Round at Wimbledon
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 27, 2014 8:49 AM EST
Canadian tennis star Eugenie Bouchard reached the 3rd round at Wimbledon for the second consecutive time. Bouchard defeated Silvia Soler-Espinosa 7-5, 6-1 in the 2nd round. The 13th seed is going to play against no. 20 Andrea Petkovic from Germany in the next round.
Eugenie Bouchard of Canada waves after defeating Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia in their women's singles tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014.
Bouchard must be aware that she was defeated in the 3rd round at Wimbledon in 2013. It was Carla Suárez Navarro from Spain, who won the match against Genie 7-5, 6-2. The Canadian player, unseeded during her earlier stint at Wimbledon, has grown as a player since then. The young tennis sensation from Westmount, Quebec will try to match her achievements at the French Open and the Australian Open earlier in 2014, where she reached the semi-finals, losing to Maria Sharapova from Russia and Li Na from China consecutively.
The Montreal girl earlier posted a photo on Twitter with Jim Parsons, most famous for playing Sheldon Cooper on the CBS sitcom The Big Bang Theory and called him her "most positive supporter." Bouchard's popularity in her native country has grown tremendously over the last few months. That may have been the reason why Coca Cola decided to sign a 3-year contract with her, making her the face of Coke and Diet Coke in Canada.
Another Canadian Milos Raonic has also reached the 3rd round at Wimbledon. This was the first time in his career that he advanced so far at Wimbledon. Raonic, the no. 8 seed from Ontario, beat Jack Sock from the United States 6-3, 6-4, 6-4. He had 3 breaks of serve, 38 winners and 13 aces. It took him less than 90 minutes to secure the win. Raonic credited his "solid level of concentration" for winning it in 3 straight sets. Raonic said that his performance on grass had improved since he first played at Wimbledon.
Other Major Results
Rafael Nadal defeated Czech player Lukas Rosol -6, 7-6 (6), 6-4, 6-4 in the 2nd round. Rosol was the one who had defeated Nadal in 2012 in the same round.
Roger Federer, who was eliminated in the 2nd round in 2013, won against Gilles Muller of Luxembourg 6-3, 7-5, 6-3.
Serena Williams took 49 minutes to beat South African Chanelle Scheepers 6-1, 6-1.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People