Canadian Sweetheart Eugenie Bouchard Moves to 3rd Round at Wimbledon
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 27, 2014 8:49 AM EST
Canadian tennis star Eugenie Bouchard reached the 3rd round at Wimbledon for the second consecutive time. Bouchard defeated Silvia Soler-Espinosa 7-5, 6-1 in the 2nd round. The 13th seed is going to play against no. 20 Andrea Petkovic from Germany in the next round.
Eugenie Bouchard of Canada waves after defeating Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia in their women's singles tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014.
Bouchard must be aware that she was defeated in the 3rd round at Wimbledon in 2013. It was Carla Suárez Navarro from Spain, who won the match against Genie 7-5, 6-2. The Canadian player, unseeded during her earlier stint at Wimbledon, has grown as a player since then. The young tennis sensation from Westmount, Quebec will try to match her achievements at the French Open and the Australian Open earlier in 2014, where she reached the semi-finals, losing to Maria Sharapova from Russia and Li Na from China consecutively.
The Montreal girl earlier posted a photo on Twitter with Jim Parsons, most famous for playing Sheldon Cooper on the CBS sitcom The Big Bang Theory and called him her "most positive supporter." Bouchard's popularity in her native country has grown tremendously over the last few months. That may have been the reason why Coca Cola decided to sign a 3-year contract with her, making her the face of Coke and Diet Coke in Canada.
Another Canadian Milos Raonic has also reached the 3rd round at Wimbledon. This was the first time in his career that he advanced so far at Wimbledon. Raonic, the no. 8 seed from Ontario, beat Jack Sock from the United States 6-3, 6-4, 6-4. He had 3 breaks of serve, 38 winners and 13 aces. It took him less than 90 minutes to secure the win. Raonic credited his "solid level of concentration" for winning it in 3 straight sets. Raonic said that his performance on grass had improved since he first played at Wimbledon.
Other Major Results
Rafael Nadal defeated Czech player Lukas Rosol -6, 7-6 (6), 6-4, 6-4 in the 2nd round. Rosol was the one who had defeated Nadal in 2012 in the same round.
Roger Federer, who was eliminated in the 2nd round in 2013, won against Gilles Muller of Luxembourg 6-3, 7-5, 6-3.
Serena Williams took 49 minutes to beat South African Chanelle Scheepers 6-1, 6-1.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues