Canadian Sweetheart Eugenie Bouchard Moves to 3rd Round at Wimbledon
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 27, 2014 8:49 AM EST
Canadian tennis star Eugenie Bouchard reached the 3rd round at Wimbledon for the second consecutive time. Bouchard defeated Silvia Soler-Espinosa 7-5, 6-1 in the 2nd round. The 13th seed is going to play against no. 20 Andrea Petkovic from Germany in the next round.
Eugenie Bouchard of Canada waves after defeating Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia in their women's singles tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014.
Bouchard must be aware that she was defeated in the 3rd round at Wimbledon in 2013. It was Carla Suárez Navarro from Spain, who won the match against Genie 7-5, 6-2. The Canadian player, unseeded during her earlier stint at Wimbledon, has grown as a player since then. The young tennis sensation from Westmount, Quebec will try to match her achievements at the French Open and the Australian Open earlier in 2014, where she reached the semi-finals, losing to Maria Sharapova from Russia and Li Na from China consecutively.
The Montreal girl earlier posted a photo on Twitter with Jim Parsons, most famous for playing Sheldon Cooper on the CBS sitcom The Big Bang Theory and called him her "most positive supporter." Bouchard's popularity in her native country has grown tremendously over the last few months. That may have been the reason why Coca Cola decided to sign a 3-year contract with her, making her the face of Coke and Diet Coke in Canada.
Another Canadian Milos Raonic has also reached the 3rd round at Wimbledon. This was the first time in his career that he advanced so far at Wimbledon. Raonic, the no. 8 seed from Ontario, beat Jack Sock from the United States 6-3, 6-4, 6-4. He had 3 breaks of serve, 38 winners and 13 aces. It took him less than 90 minutes to secure the win. Raonic credited his "solid level of concentration" for winning it in 3 straight sets. Raonic said that his performance on grass had improved since he first played at Wimbledon.
Other Major Results
Rafael Nadal defeated Czech player Lukas Rosol -6, 7-6 (6), 6-4, 6-4 in the 2nd round. Rosol was the one who had defeated Nadal in 2012 in the same round.
Roger Federer, who was eliminated in the 2nd round in 2013, won against Gilles Muller of Luxembourg 6-3, 7-5, 6-3.
Serena Williams took 49 minutes to beat South African Chanelle Scheepers 6-1, 6-1.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year