Canadian Sweetheart Eugenie Bouchard Moves to 3rd Round at Wimbledon
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 27, 2014 8:49 AM EST
Canadian tennis star Eugenie Bouchard reached the 3rd round at Wimbledon for the second consecutive time. Bouchard defeated Silvia Soler-Espinosa 7-5, 6-1 in the 2nd round. The 13th seed is going to play against no. 20 Andrea Petkovic from Germany in the next round.
Eugenie Bouchard of Canada waves after defeating Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia in their women's singles tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014.
Bouchard must be aware that she was defeated in the 3rd round at Wimbledon in 2013. It was Carla Suárez Navarro from Spain, who won the match against Genie 7-5, 6-2. The Canadian player, unseeded during her earlier stint at Wimbledon, has grown as a player since then. The young tennis sensation from Westmount, Quebec will try to match her achievements at the French Open and the Australian Open earlier in 2014, where she reached the semi-finals, losing to Maria Sharapova from Russia and Li Na from China consecutively.
The Montreal girl earlier posted a photo on Twitter with Jim Parsons, most famous for playing Sheldon Cooper on the CBS sitcom The Big Bang Theory and called him her "most positive supporter." Bouchard's popularity in her native country has grown tremendously over the last few months. That may have been the reason why Coca Cola decided to sign a 3-year contract with her, making her the face of Coke and Diet Coke in Canada.
Another Canadian Milos Raonic has also reached the 3rd round at Wimbledon. This was the first time in his career that he advanced so far at Wimbledon. Raonic, the no. 8 seed from Ontario, beat Jack Sock from the United States 6-3, 6-4, 6-4. He had 3 breaks of serve, 38 winners and 13 aces. It took him less than 90 minutes to secure the win. Raonic credited his "solid level of concentration" for winning it in 3 straight sets. Raonic said that his performance on grass had improved since he first played at Wimbledon.
Other Major Results
Rafael Nadal defeated Czech player Lukas Rosol -6, 7-6 (6), 6-4, 6-4 in the 2nd round. Rosol was the one who had defeated Nadal in 2012 in the same round.
Roger Federer, who was eliminated in the 2nd round in 2013, won against Gilles Muller of Luxembourg 6-3, 7-5, 6-3.
Serena Williams took 49 minutes to beat South African Chanelle Scheepers 6-1, 6-1.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 NFL Thanksgiving Games Results: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks Notch All-Important Wins With Major Postseason Implications
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report