Star Wars Battlefront 3 Release Update: DICE Execs Hype Game Quality
By Karla Danica Figuerres | June 27, 2014 8:30 AM EST
The "Star Wars: Battlefront 3" team at DICE is fully mindful it has an unusual chance to renew a beloved franchise as well as to retrieve the reputation of its studio. DICE's newest and biggest project was "Battlefield 4." Users who already played the game, especially on PC, experienced many performance issues that have annoyed multiplayer gameplay. Also, many fans who played "Battlefield 4" think that these guys are going to ruin the "Star Wars: Battlefront 3" release.
Reuters / Chaiwat Subprasom
Members of a Star Wars fan club in Thailand, dressed as Stormtroopers, interact with children during a Star Wars Day celebration at the Phayathai Babies Home in Nonthaburi province, on the outskirts of Bangkok, June 7, 2014.
Post-E3, the executives at DICE are also on the PR warpath. In the latest interview with CVG, DICE general manager Karl Magnus Troedsson announced frankly about the team's ambitions for the 2015 release.
"We're going to build the game that we've wanted to see ourselves for a long period of time," Troedsson said. "The kind of games that we build are at the forefront of quality - they need to be the best sounding, the best playing and most fun games. That's what we're trying to do. We're going to aim for the sky. Our ambition for this game is very, very high."
This isn't something new. As a matter of fact, last year DICE staff gave a few interviews to say basically the same thing.
"People don't want another Battlefield with Star Wars graphics; they want a Star Wars game that is proper," DICE executive producer Patrick Bach told Videogamer in August.
Although the "Battlefield 4" issues made the studio appear a little inefficient, try to view it as an extended trial run for next-gen development. Battlefield 4 is the rough draft and Star Wars: Battlefront 3 and it will be the final product.
"We're unhappy with our server performance, so we'll be upgrading the hardware as soon as possible, investing more to deliver a better experience," DICE posted on the Battlefield blog.
DICE also said that they are currently working on its netcode, which is another essential feature of the multiplayer experience that is basically tested on BF4 ahead of the "Star Wars: Battlefront" release date next year.
The stakes are high for EA's interpretation of the Star Wars Universe. Recently, Lucasfilm said that "Star Wars: Battlefront 3," along with all upcoming games and media, will be included part of the official canon alongside the six Star Wars films as well as The Clone Wars series.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary