Liverpool FC Transfer News: Discussions Involving Sevilla Defender Called Off, Says Club Official
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 27, 2014 4:26 AM EST
Sevilla defender Alberto Moreno will remain at the Estadio Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan, at least, for the time being, as discussions in bringing him to Liverpool have been called off, according to La Liga outfit's sporting director Ramon Rodriguez Verdejo.
“The matter of Alberto is practically settled. We couldn’t reach an agreement and I don’t think it can be revived.” - Ramon Rodriguez Verdejo on Alberto Moreno
"The matter of Alberto is practically settled. We couldn't reach an agreement and I don't think it can be revived," he told Marca.
"It was a great offer, but the player is only 21 years old and it's possible that the catharsis of being with the national team had a positive effect."
He, however, did not rule out the possibility that the highly-rated left-back, who was a part of Spain's 23-man lineup in the World Cup, could head elsewhere within the current transfer window.
"He has a lot of room to grow and the coach is very happy to have him. I don't think we'll make a lot of moves, but if on August 14 a club comes along and they give you a mountain of cash, well....I know you don't like to hear it, but we are economic managers," he added.
"My feeling is that the negotiations are paralysed and I don't see any hint that they will be restarted. We put a price on our players which we believe to be appropriate. Whoever wants to buy, can buy, and if you can't..."
"Also, with the sale of (Ivan) Rakitic, our needs were covered. We don't have the burden we had at other times."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga