Liverpool FC Transfer News: Discussions Involving Sevilla Defender Called Off, Says Club Official
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 27, 2014 4:26 AM EST
Sevilla defender Alberto Moreno will remain at the Estadio Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan, at least, for the time being, as discussions in bringing him to Liverpool have been called off, according to La Liga outfit's sporting director Ramon Rodriguez Verdejo.
“The matter of Alberto is practically settled. We couldn’t reach an agreement and I don’t think it can be revived.” - Ramon Rodriguez Verdejo on Alberto Moreno
"The matter of Alberto is practically settled. We couldn't reach an agreement and I don't think it can be revived," he told Marca.
"It was a great offer, but the player is only 21 years old and it's possible that the catharsis of being with the national team had a positive effect."
He, however, did not rule out the possibility that the highly-rated left-back, who was a part of Spain's 23-man lineup in the World Cup, could head elsewhere within the current transfer window.
"He has a lot of room to grow and the coach is very happy to have him. I don't think we'll make a lot of moves, but if on August 14 a club comes along and they give you a mountain of cash, well....I know you don't like to hear it, but we are economic managers," he added.
"My feeling is that the negotiations are paralysed and I don't see any hint that they will be restarted. We put a price on our players which we believe to be appropriate. Whoever wants to buy, can buy, and if you can't..."
"Also, with the sale of (Ivan) Rakitic, our needs were covered. We don't have the burden we had at other times."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More