Arsenal FC Transfer News: Gunners Defender Insists that Man City Move is 'not about Money'
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 27, 2014 3:14 AM EST
Arsenal defender Bacary Sagna insists that his recent move to Premier League rivals Manchester City has nothing to do with the wages that he is going to receive.
The 31-year-old spent seven seasons with the north London club and has decided that it's time to move on to a new chapter in his playing career this June.
“For people who think it’s for money, it’s not. I just wanted to change. I needed a boost in my career and I think it was about time.” - Bacary Sagna
"I'm going to clear everything up because I keep reading that I did it for money and I'm greedy," he told the London Evening Standard.
"What I want to say is I stayed with Arsenal with the same contract since 2008 and I never asked for more money."
"For people who think it's for money, it's not. I just wanted to change. I needed a boost in my career and I think it was about time."
Sagna will reportedly be handed £120,000 a week at the Etihad on a free-transfer, far from the £70,000 that the Gunners had offered him, in an attempt to convince him to stay at the Emirates after his contract had run out.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People