Boxing News 2014: Top Rank to Announce September 2014 Pacquiao-Mayweather Bout, Claims Korean Web Site
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 27, 2014 12:00 AM EST
The dream match between pound-for-pound king contenders Floyd Mayweather Jr and Manny Pacquiao will reportedly take place in September 2014, Kdramastars, a Korean drama, movie and celebrity news site reported, citing a reliable source from 78Sports TV and Latino Post.
The report claims that Top Rank, where Pacquiao has a contract, will officially announce the much anticipated bout. The Web site said that the same source correctly leaked the fight between Robert Guerrero and Saul Canelo Alvarez months before the official announcement, citing a report from Philippine Star.
The unnamed 78Sports anchor confirmed that both boxers have agreed to the fight which is now guaranteed. The anchor said, "Everything else that you will be just theatrics from here on out. But the fight is already done."
On Tuesday, Mayweather was quoted as saying his choice is limited between Amir Khan and Miguel Cotto, but Pacquiao is definitely out of the picture.
Although the anchor did not provide more details, there is a possibility the dream match is the handiwork of Prince Amir Shafipour of the United Arab Emirates who has promised to make the Pacquiao-Mayweather bout a reality in 2015, to be held in Dubai.
And with UAE petro dollars at work, a guaranteed purse higher than the S40 million Mayweather got on May 3 could have convinced Money May to change his mind and agree to meet Pacquiao inside the ring.
Sept 13 is the scheduled fight of Mayweather at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, but he has not officially announced his opponent.
The bout could be the biggest in boxing history, expected to get break pay-per-view revenues in past fights, or the report could be the mother of all hoax stories as the Latino Post story on boxing were on the possible opponents of both boxers. On the other hand, the Philippine Star article was about Pacquiao being a nominee for the Best Fighter of the Year at ESPN's Excellence in Sports Performance Yearly Awards. Both articles on Thursday did not carry any news about the so-called dream match.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet