Boxing News 2014: Top Rank to Announce September 2014 Pacquiao-Mayweather Bout, Claims Korean Web Site
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 27, 2014 12:00 AM EST
The dream match between pound-for-pound king contenders Floyd Mayweather Jr and Manny Pacquiao will reportedly take place in September 2014, Kdramastars, a Korean drama, movie and celebrity news site reported, citing a reliable source from 78Sports TV and Latino Post.
The report claims that Top Rank, where Pacquiao has a contract, will officially announce the much anticipated bout. The Web site said that the same source correctly leaked the fight between Robert Guerrero and Saul Canelo Alvarez months before the official announcement, citing a report from Philippine Star.
The unnamed 78Sports anchor confirmed that both boxers have agreed to the fight which is now guaranteed. The anchor said, "Everything else that you will be just theatrics from here on out. But the fight is already done."
On Tuesday, Mayweather was quoted as saying his choice is limited between Amir Khan and Miguel Cotto, but Pacquiao is definitely out of the picture.
Although the anchor did not provide more details, there is a possibility the dream match is the handiwork of Prince Amir Shafipour of the United Arab Emirates who has promised to make the Pacquiao-Mayweather bout a reality in 2015, to be held in Dubai.
And with UAE petro dollars at work, a guaranteed purse higher than the S40 million Mayweather got on May 3 could have convinced Money May to change his mind and agree to meet Pacquiao inside the ring.
Sept 13 is the scheduled fight of Mayweather at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, but he has not officially announced his opponent.
The bout could be the biggest in boxing history, expected to get break pay-per-view revenues in past fights, or the report could be the mother of all hoax stories as the Latino Post story on boxing were on the possible opponents of both boxers. On the other hand, the Philippine Star article was about Pacquiao being a nominee for the Best Fighter of the Year at ESPN's Excellence in Sports Performance Yearly Awards. Both articles on Thursday did not carry any news about the so-called dream match.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports