Boxing News 2014: Top Rank to Announce September 2014 Pacquiao-Mayweather Bout, Claims Korean Web Site
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 27, 2014 12:00 AM EST
The dream match between pound-for-pound king contenders Floyd Mayweather Jr and Manny Pacquiao will reportedly take place in September 2014, Kdramastars, a Korean drama, movie and celebrity news site reported, citing a reliable source from 78Sports TV and Latino Post.
The report claims that Top Rank, where Pacquiao has a contract, will officially announce the much anticipated bout. The Web site said that the same source correctly leaked the fight between Robert Guerrero and Saul Canelo Alvarez months before the official announcement, citing a report from Philippine Star.
The unnamed 78Sports anchor confirmed that both boxers have agreed to the fight which is now guaranteed. The anchor said, "Everything else that you will be just theatrics from here on out. But the fight is already done."
On Tuesday, Mayweather was quoted as saying his choice is limited between Amir Khan and Miguel Cotto, but Pacquiao is definitely out of the picture.
Although the anchor did not provide more details, there is a possibility the dream match is the handiwork of Prince Amir Shafipour of the United Arab Emirates who has promised to make the Pacquiao-Mayweather bout a reality in 2015, to be held in Dubai.
And with UAE petro dollars at work, a guaranteed purse higher than the S40 million Mayweather got on May 3 could have convinced Money May to change his mind and agree to meet Pacquiao inside the ring.
Sept 13 is the scheduled fight of Mayweather at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, but he has not officially announced his opponent.
The bout could be the biggest in boxing history, expected to get break pay-per-view revenues in past fights, or the report could be the mother of all hoax stories as the Latino Post story on boxing were on the possible opponents of both boxers. On the other hand, the Philippine Star article was about Pacquiao being a nominee for the Best Fighter of the Year at ESPN's Excellence in Sports Performance Yearly Awards. Both articles on Thursday did not carry any news about the so-called dream match.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools