Boxing News 2014: Top Rank to Announce September 2014 Pacquiao-Mayweather Bout, Claims Korean Web Site
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 27, 2014 12:00 AM EST
The dream match between pound-for-pound king contenders Floyd Mayweather Jr and Manny Pacquiao will reportedly take place in September 2014, Kdramastars, a Korean drama, movie and celebrity news site reported, citing a reliable source from 78Sports TV and Latino Post.
The report claims that Top Rank, where Pacquiao has a contract, will officially announce the much anticipated bout. The Web site said that the same source correctly leaked the fight between Robert Guerrero and Saul Canelo Alvarez months before the official announcement, citing a report from Philippine Star.
The unnamed 78Sports anchor confirmed that both boxers have agreed to the fight which is now guaranteed. The anchor said, "Everything else that you will be just theatrics from here on out. But the fight is already done."
On Tuesday, Mayweather was quoted as saying his choice is limited between Amir Khan and Miguel Cotto, but Pacquiao is definitely out of the picture.
Although the anchor did not provide more details, there is a possibility the dream match is the handiwork of Prince Amir Shafipour of the United Arab Emirates who has promised to make the Pacquiao-Mayweather bout a reality in 2015, to be held in Dubai.
And with UAE petro dollars at work, a guaranteed purse higher than the S40 million Mayweather got on May 3 could have convinced Money May to change his mind and agree to meet Pacquiao inside the ring.
Sept 13 is the scheduled fight of Mayweather at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, but he has not officially announced his opponent.
The bout could be the biggest in boxing history, expected to get break pay-per-view revenues in past fights, or the report could be the mother of all hoax stories as the Latino Post story on boxing were on the possible opponents of both boxers. On the other hand, the Philippine Star article was about Pacquiao being a nominee for the Best Fighter of the Year at ESPN's Excellence in Sports Performance Yearly Awards. Both articles on Thursday did not carry any news about the so-called dream match.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate