Boxing News 2014: Top Rank to Announce September 2014 Pacquiao-Mayweather Bout, Claims Korean Web Site
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 27, 2014 12:00 AM EST
The dream match between pound-for-pound king contenders Floyd Mayweather Jr and Manny Pacquiao will reportedly take place in September 2014, Kdramastars, a Korean drama, movie and celebrity news site reported, citing a reliable source from 78Sports TV and Latino Post.
The report claims that Top Rank, where Pacquiao has a contract, will officially announce the much anticipated bout. The Web site said that the same source correctly leaked the fight between Robert Guerrero and Saul Canelo Alvarez months before the official announcement, citing a report from Philippine Star.
The unnamed 78Sports anchor confirmed that both boxers have agreed to the fight which is now guaranteed. The anchor said, "Everything else that you will be just theatrics from here on out. But the fight is already done."
On Tuesday, Mayweather was quoted as saying his choice is limited between Amir Khan and Miguel Cotto, but Pacquiao is definitely out of the picture.
Although the anchor did not provide more details, there is a possibility the dream match is the handiwork of Prince Amir Shafipour of the United Arab Emirates who has promised to make the Pacquiao-Mayweather bout a reality in 2015, to be held in Dubai.
And with UAE petro dollars at work, a guaranteed purse higher than the S40 million Mayweather got on May 3 could have convinced Money May to change his mind and agree to meet Pacquiao inside the ring.
Sept 13 is the scheduled fight of Mayweather at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, but he has not officially announced his opponent.
The bout could be the biggest in boxing history, expected to get break pay-per-view revenues in past fights, or the report could be the mother of all hoax stories as the Latino Post story on boxing were on the possible opponents of both boxers. On the other hand, the Philippine Star article was about Pacquiao being a nominee for the Best Fighter of the Year at ESPN's Excellence in Sports Performance Yearly Awards. Both articles on Thursday did not carry any news about the so-called dream match.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Mayweather Jr. Responds To 2015 Super Fight Talks; American Bashes Pacquiao With Social Media Video Post of Marquez's KO
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast