Android 5.0, Nexus 9, Android Wear & More: What to Expect from Google I/O
By Karla Danica Figuerres | June 26, 2014 7:18 PM EST
The Google signage is seen at the company's offices in New York January 8, 2013. REUTERS/Andrew Kelly
San Francisco's Moscone Center is hosting the annual Google I/O and started on June 25. Here is the collected information about what we can expect from Google's 2014 I/O developers conference.
It is possible for Google to use its I/O keynote to unveil the next iteration of its mobile operating system, and is expected to arrive as Android 5.0 Lollipop or as rumours have proposed, Android 5.0 'L'.
It is expected that Android 5.0 will showcase a major redesign, with leaked photos and opinions saying that the user interface will feature a "flat, minimalistic" design the same to that of Apple's iOS 7.
Android 5.0 is also expected to add support for low-end phones, also applicable to those with as little as 512MB of RAM, with Google looking to put an end to Android fragmentation. It is also expected to support affordable handsets, not to mention that Android 5.0 is also likely to add support for 64-bit processors. If these rumours are to be believed, Android 5.0 likely will start rolling out to devices this autumn.
HTC Volantis, the HTC-built tablet, will arrive running Google's Android 5.0 mobile operating system and is reported to be powered by Nvidia's 64-bit Tegra K1 chip and will sport an 8.9-inch 2048 x 1440 resolution touchscreen display. The tablet is set to copy the iPad Mini with its aluminium design and skinny 7.9 mm-thick frame and also said to feature an 8 MP rear-facing camera, a 3 MP front-facing camera, optional 4G LTE support and 2 GB of RAM.
Rumours say that the Google Nexus 9 will be available in 16 GB and 32 GB models, and the price ranges from $399 and $499, accordingly. There is also a 4G model worth around $600.
Smart watches are also anticipated to be another big focus at the Google I/O 2014 conference this year. It is expected that Google will tell more information about its Android Wear operating system, and also will flaunt the Moto 360 and LG G Watch devices for the first time.
Android TV is also expected to be launched during Google I/O 2014. It is reported that the device will run a custom version of Google's Android mobile operating system, and will possibly be powered by Nvidia's Tegra 4 chip. As said by the Wall Street Journal, gaming will be the best asset of this device, letting users to pause progress on a smartphone game and continue playing it on their TV. Android TV will also launch with apps including Netflix, YouTube, Google Play Music and Pandora, if the leaked information is accurate.
Recently, Apple unveiled its Homekit, making people to expect if Google will announce its push into the connected home market during the Google I/O 2014. Google's Nest Labs said earlier this week that its APIs are now open to outside developers, and the firm also announced its acquisition of surveillance firm Dropcam. Google is now expected to announce how these devices, along with others, will integrate together.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports