FIFA World Cup 2014 Group E Highlights: France Vs. Ecuador and Switzerland Vs. Honduras
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 26, 2014 7:14 PM EST
The Europeans in group E were able to redeem the continent after several European giants and former World Cup Champions were taken out of the competition. France topped the group while Switzerland took second place with both South American tems in the group failing to make it to the top 16.
FIFA WORLD CUP 2014 Brazil
Group E Match Results
France 0-0 Ecuador
Switzerland 3-0 Honduras
(Shaquiri 31', 6', 71')
QUALIFIED: 1. FRANCE 2. SWITZERLAND
Group E came into their third matches of the group stage with all four teams still in with a chance of qualification. France were already in the lead with 6 points but the draw with Ecuador gave them a crucial point to put them ahead of any possible challengers for the top spot. Switzerland and Ecuador already had three points but if both teams lose, Honduras would have an outside chance.
Honduras who were bottom of the group without any points were still hopeful that they could earn 3 points out of Switzerland and France will beat Ecuador. Everything went completely against them as Equador managed to keep France at bay to earn themselves a point. the single point immediately put Ecuador ahead of Honduras who can only gain a possible 3 points. The Ecuadorian defence was solid throughout the game and Karim Benzema was unable to reproduce his brillance from previous matches. A draw was enough for France to qualify and top the group but Ecuador needed to win if they wanted to challenge Switzerland. Brilliant defending aside, they needed to score goals and they were unable to do so to progress.
Switzerland dealt the fatal blow to both South American teams by letting loose Xherdan Shaqiri who scored a hat trick to bury Honduras at the bottom of the group.
See full group E Standings and results here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June