FIFA World Cup 2014 Group E Highlights: France Vs. Ecuador and Switzerland Vs. Honduras
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 26, 2014 7:14 PM EST
The Europeans in group E were able to redeem the continent after several European giants and former World Cup Champions were taken out of the competition. France topped the group while Switzerland took second place with both South American tems in the group failing to make it to the top 16.
FIFA WORLD CUP 2014 Brazil
Group E Match Results
France 0-0 Ecuador
Switzerland 3-0 Honduras
(Shaquiri 31', 6', 71')
QUALIFIED: 1. FRANCE 2. SWITZERLAND
Group E came into their third matches of the group stage with all four teams still in with a chance of qualification. France were already in the lead with 6 points but the draw with Ecuador gave them a crucial point to put them ahead of any possible challengers for the top spot. Switzerland and Ecuador already had three points but if both teams lose, Honduras would have an outside chance.
Honduras who were bottom of the group without any points were still hopeful that they could earn 3 points out of Switzerland and France will beat Ecuador. Everything went completely against them as Equador managed to keep France at bay to earn themselves a point. the single point immediately put Ecuador ahead of Honduras who can only gain a possible 3 points. The Ecuadorian defence was solid throughout the game and Karim Benzema was unable to reproduce his brillance from previous matches. A draw was enough for France to qualify and top the group but Ecuador needed to win if they wanted to challenge Switzerland. Brilliant defending aside, they needed to score goals and they were unable to do so to progress.
Switzerland dealt the fatal blow to both South American teams by letting loose Xherdan Shaqiri who scored a hat trick to bury Honduras at the bottom of the group.
See full group E Standings and results here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop