FIFA World Cup 2014 Group E Highlights: France Vs. Ecuador and Switzerland Vs. Honduras
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 26, 2014 7:14 PM EST
The Europeans in group E were able to redeem the continent after several European giants and former World Cup Champions were taken out of the competition. France topped the group while Switzerland took second place with both South American tems in the group failing to make it to the top 16.
FIFA WORLD CUP 2014 Brazil
Group E Match Results
France 0-0 Ecuador
Switzerland 3-0 Honduras
(Shaquiri 31', 6', 71')
QUALIFIED: 1. FRANCE 2. SWITZERLAND
Group E came into their third matches of the group stage with all four teams still in with a chance of qualification. France were already in the lead with 6 points but the draw with Ecuador gave them a crucial point to put them ahead of any possible challengers for the top spot. Switzerland and Ecuador already had three points but if both teams lose, Honduras would have an outside chance.
Honduras who were bottom of the group without any points were still hopeful that they could earn 3 points out of Switzerland and France will beat Ecuador. Everything went completely against them as Equador managed to keep France at bay to earn themselves a point. the single point immediately put Ecuador ahead of Honduras who can only gain a possible 3 points. The Ecuadorian defence was solid throughout the game and Karim Benzema was unable to reproduce his brillance from previous matches. A draw was enough for France to qualify and top the group but Ecuador needed to win if they wanted to challenge Switzerland. Brilliant defending aside, they needed to score goals and they were unable to do so to progress.
Switzerland dealt the fatal blow to both South American teams by letting loose Xherdan Shaqiri who scored a hat trick to bury Honduras at the bottom of the group.
See full group E Standings and results here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0