FIFA World Cup 2014 Group E Highlights: France Vs. Ecuador and Switzerland Vs. Honduras
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 26, 2014 7:14 PM EST
The Europeans in group E were able to redeem the continent after several European giants and former World Cup Champions were taken out of the competition. France topped the group while Switzerland took second place with both South American tems in the group failing to make it to the top 16.
FIFA WORLD CUP 2014 Brazil
Group E Match Results
France 0-0 Ecuador
Switzerland 3-0 Honduras
(Shaquiri 31', 6', 71')
QUALIFIED: 1. FRANCE 2. SWITZERLAND
Group E came into their third matches of the group stage with all four teams still in with a chance of qualification. France were already in the lead with 6 points but the draw with Ecuador gave them a crucial point to put them ahead of any possible challengers for the top spot. Switzerland and Ecuador already had three points but if both teams lose, Honduras would have an outside chance.
Honduras who were bottom of the group without any points were still hopeful that they could earn 3 points out of Switzerland and France will beat Ecuador. Everything went completely against them as Equador managed to keep France at bay to earn themselves a point. the single point immediately put Ecuador ahead of Honduras who can only gain a possible 3 points. The Ecuadorian defence was solid throughout the game and Karim Benzema was unable to reproduce his brillance from previous matches. A draw was enough for France to qualify and top the group but Ecuador needed to win if they wanted to challenge Switzerland. Brilliant defending aside, they needed to score goals and they were unable to do so to progress.
Switzerland dealt the fatal blow to both South American teams by letting loose Xherdan Shaqiri who scored a hat trick to bury Honduras at the bottom of the group.
See full group E Standings and results here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish Can't Play in the U.S. Open Due to Drug Testing Issues
- Billy Bob Thornton Want to Play Hodor in Game Of Thrones
- Fukushima Radiation Tests on Waters Along U.S. Coast Yield Negative Results
- Zac Efron Equates Boozing to a Social Stimulant, Admits Why He Checked into Rehab Last Year
- Celebrities Who Stripped Naked for Women's Health