Ed Sheeran’s New Album X Projected to Beat Coldplay’s Ghost Stories for Fastest-Selling Album of 2014
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | June 26, 2014 7:14 PM EST
Transforming his music from the slow and narrative to the upbeat, Ed Sheeran is projected to set up a challenge and beat Coldplay's "Ghost Stories" with his new album "X" for the fastest-selling album of 2014.
Musician Ed Sheeran arrives on the red carpet at the MuchMusic Video Awards (MMVA) in Toronto, June 15, 2014.
The 23-year-old British singer and songwriter released his newest album "X" that is pronounced as "multiply" on Monday, June 23. The album, according to the Official UK Chart Company, is now tight on the race with nearly 100,000 copies sold in the UK within just two days, which is almost equal to Sheeran's 2011 debut album that sold 102,000 copies during its first week.
Coldplay reportedly had more than 168,000 copies of the "Ghost Stories" album sold during its first week of release, but if Ed Sheeran's new album continues to top its sales, "X" is projected to beat "Ghost Stories" that was released on May 16, 2014 for the fastest-selling album of 2014.
"[Ed Sheeran] mostly gets away from boring, clichéd narratives of troubled romance. He does this by turning down the schmaltz and turning up the attitude while embracing elements of R&B and rap. This is a surprising choice that, just as surprisingly, works very well for Sheeran," RedEye Chicago wrote.
Official UK Albums Midweek Chart Update shows Sheeran's new album "X" currently at number (1), surpassing Lana Del Rey's "Ultraviolence" album formerly ruling the chart but now sliding down to number (3).
Sam Smith's debut studio album "In The Lonely Hour," on the other hand, has climbed to number (2) from its former number (3) while Coldplay's "Ghost Stories" remains at number (4) and Kasabian's "48:13" remains at number (5). Linkin Park's "The Hunting Party," unfortunately didn't make it to the Top 5 as it slides down to number (8).
Reviews on Sheeran's new album "X," which is now available on record stores, have been relatively positive.
"I actually really liked his "rapping moments," Music Times' Caitlyn Carter wrote. "It reminded me a lot of The Streets, which I didn't expect."
Data from the Official UK Chart Company reveals Ed Sheeran's new single "Sing" from his album "X," which made its debut in the UK charts at number (1), is now at number (3) as "The X Factor" 2012 contestant Ella Henderson climbs the chart at number (1) with her new album "Ghost."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features