Ed Sheeran’s New Album X Projected to Beat Coldplay’s Ghost Stories for Fastest-Selling Album of 2014
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | June 26, 2014 7:14 PM EST
Transforming his music from the slow and narrative to the upbeat, Ed Sheeran is projected to set up a challenge and beat Coldplay's "Ghost Stories" with his new album "X" for the fastest-selling album of 2014.
Musician Ed Sheeran arrives on the red carpet at the MuchMusic Video Awards (MMVA) in Toronto, June 15, 2014.
The 23-year-old British singer and songwriter released his newest album "X" that is pronounced as "multiply" on Monday, June 23. The album, according to the Official UK Chart Company, is now tight on the race with nearly 100,000 copies sold in the UK within just two days, which is almost equal to Sheeran's 2011 debut album that sold 102,000 copies during its first week.
Coldplay reportedly had more than 168,000 copies of the "Ghost Stories" album sold during its first week of release, but if Ed Sheeran's new album continues to top its sales, "X" is projected to beat "Ghost Stories" that was released on May 16, 2014 for the fastest-selling album of 2014.
"[Ed Sheeran] mostly gets away from boring, clichéd narratives of troubled romance. He does this by turning down the schmaltz and turning up the attitude while embracing elements of R&B and rap. This is a surprising choice that, just as surprisingly, works very well for Sheeran," RedEye Chicago wrote.
Official UK Albums Midweek Chart Update shows Sheeran's new album "X" currently at number (1), surpassing Lana Del Rey's "Ultraviolence" album formerly ruling the chart but now sliding down to number (3).
Sam Smith's debut studio album "In The Lonely Hour," on the other hand, has climbed to number (2) from its former number (3) while Coldplay's "Ghost Stories" remains at number (4) and Kasabian's "48:13" remains at number (5). Linkin Park's "The Hunting Party," unfortunately didn't make it to the Top 5 as it slides down to number (8).
Reviews on Sheeran's new album "X," which is now available on record stores, have been relatively positive.
"I actually really liked his "rapping moments," Music Times' Caitlyn Carter wrote. "It reminded me a lot of The Streets, which I didn't expect."
Data from the Official UK Chart Company reveals Ed Sheeran's new single "Sing" from his album "X," which made its debut in the UK charts at number (1), is now at number (3) as "The X Factor" 2012 contestant Ella Henderson climbs the chart at number (1) with her new album "Ghost."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia