Ed Sheeran’s New Album X Projected to Beat Coldplay’s Ghost Stories for Fastest-Selling Album of 2014
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | June 26, 2014 7:14 PM EST
Transforming his music from the slow and narrative to the upbeat, Ed Sheeran is projected to set up a challenge and beat Coldplay's "Ghost Stories" with his new album "X" for the fastest-selling album of 2014.
Musician Ed Sheeran arrives on the red carpet at the MuchMusic Video Awards (MMVA) in Toronto, June 15, 2014.
The 23-year-old British singer and songwriter released his newest album "X" that is pronounced as "multiply" on Monday, June 23. The album, according to the Official UK Chart Company, is now tight on the race with nearly 100,000 copies sold in the UK within just two days, which is almost equal to Sheeran's 2011 debut album that sold 102,000 copies during its first week.
Coldplay reportedly had more than 168,000 copies of the "Ghost Stories" album sold during its first week of release, but if Ed Sheeran's new album continues to top its sales, "X" is projected to beat "Ghost Stories" that was released on May 16, 2014 for the fastest-selling album of 2014.
"[Ed Sheeran] mostly gets away from boring, clichéd narratives of troubled romance. He does this by turning down the schmaltz and turning up the attitude while embracing elements of R&B and rap. This is a surprising choice that, just as surprisingly, works very well for Sheeran," RedEye Chicago wrote.
Official UK Albums Midweek Chart Update shows Sheeran's new album "X" currently at number (1), surpassing Lana Del Rey's "Ultraviolence" album formerly ruling the chart but now sliding down to number (3).
Sam Smith's debut studio album "In The Lonely Hour," on the other hand, has climbed to number (2) from its former number (3) while Coldplay's "Ghost Stories" remains at number (4) and Kasabian's "48:13" remains at number (5). Linkin Park's "The Hunting Party," unfortunately didn't make it to the Top 5 as it slides down to number (8).
Reviews on Sheeran's new album "X," which is now available on record stores, have been relatively positive.
"I actually really liked his "rapping moments," Music Times' Caitlyn Carter wrote. "It reminded me a lot of The Streets, which I didn't expect."
Data from the Official UK Chart Company reveals Ed Sheeran's new single "Sing" from his album "X," which made its debut in the UK charts at number (1), is now at number (3) as "The X Factor" 2012 contestant Ella Henderson climbs the chart at number (1) with her new album "Ghost."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson And FKA Twigs Romance: Singer’s Twitter Post Sparks Pregnancy Reports Speculating The Couple Is Expecting Their First Baby
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone