Ed Sheeran’s New Album X Projected to Beat Coldplay’s Ghost Stories for Fastest-Selling Album of 2014
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | June 26, 2014 7:14 PM EST
Transforming his music from the slow and narrative to the upbeat, Ed Sheeran is projected to set up a challenge and beat Coldplay's "Ghost Stories" with his new album "X" for the fastest-selling album of 2014.
Musician Ed Sheeran arrives on the red carpet at the MuchMusic Video Awards (MMVA) in Toronto, June 15, 2014.
The 23-year-old British singer and songwriter released his newest album "X" that is pronounced as "multiply" on Monday, June 23. The album, according to the Official UK Chart Company, is now tight on the race with nearly 100,000 copies sold in the UK within just two days, which is almost equal to Sheeran's 2011 debut album that sold 102,000 copies during its first week.
Coldplay reportedly had more than 168,000 copies of the "Ghost Stories" album sold during its first week of release, but if Ed Sheeran's new album continues to top its sales, "X" is projected to beat "Ghost Stories" that was released on May 16, 2014 for the fastest-selling album of 2014.
"[Ed Sheeran] mostly gets away from boring, clichéd narratives of troubled romance. He does this by turning down the schmaltz and turning up the attitude while embracing elements of R&B and rap. This is a surprising choice that, just as surprisingly, works very well for Sheeran," RedEye Chicago wrote.
Official UK Albums Midweek Chart Update shows Sheeran's new album "X" currently at number (1), surpassing Lana Del Rey's "Ultraviolence" album formerly ruling the chart but now sliding down to number (3).
Sam Smith's debut studio album "In The Lonely Hour," on the other hand, has climbed to number (2) from its former number (3) while Coldplay's "Ghost Stories" remains at number (4) and Kasabian's "48:13" remains at number (5). Linkin Park's "The Hunting Party," unfortunately didn't make it to the Top 5 as it slides down to number (8).
Reviews on Sheeran's new album "X," which is now available on record stores, have been relatively positive.
"I actually really liked his "rapping moments," Music Times' Caitlyn Carter wrote. "It reminded me a lot of The Streets, which I didn't expect."
Data from the Official UK Chart Company reveals Ed Sheeran's new single "Sing" from his album "X," which made its debut in the UK charts at number (1), is now at number (3) as "The X Factor" 2012 contestant Ella Henderson climbs the chart at number (1) with her new album "Ghost."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS