4.8 Magnitude Quake Shakes New Zealand’s Lower North Island
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 26, 2014 5:06 PM EST
An earthquake measuring 4.8 magnitude struck New Zealand's lower North Island on Thursday.
Its epicentre was located 40km south-west of Whanganui at a depth of 40km, but its intensity was felt as far south as Kaikorua and well into Taranaki. Far north Taumarunui likewise felt it, Radio New Zealand said.
A car sinks into a hole caused by an earthquake in the southern New Zealand city of Christchurch June 13, 2011. REUTERS/TIM KELLEHER/HANDOUT
The afternoon temblor that occurred shortly before 4 pm followed a magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck at 7.48 am earlier. It has a depth of 32 km, 10 km east of Eketahuna. Over 1,500 people reported feeling the quake.
"It was very scary but there was no damage anywhere," Kerry Brewer from the Eketahuna Four Square told Radio NZ.
Kiwis immediately took to Twitter to post their fears and reactions.
"Quake season is back," Monica Moraes said. "Everyday or so we feel a little rattle here in Welly. Go away!"
Quite a big #eqnz just then - first time I've felt one in the chamber.
"Everything in my lounge moved. Not cool, nature. Not cool," a certain Victoria posted.
A very notable jolt just then! #eqnz— Simon O'Connor (@SimonOConnorMP) June 26, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'