4.8 Magnitude Quake Shakes New Zealand’s Lower North Island
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 26, 2014 5:06 PM EST
An earthquake measuring 4.8 magnitude struck New Zealand's lower North Island on Thursday.
Its epicentre was located 40km south-west of Whanganui at a depth of 40km, but its intensity was felt as far south as Kaikorua and well into Taranaki. Far north Taumarunui likewise felt it, Radio New Zealand said.
A car sinks into a hole caused by an earthquake in the southern New Zealand city of Christchurch June 13, 2011. REUTERS/TIM KELLEHER/HANDOUT
The afternoon temblor that occurred shortly before 4 pm followed a magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck at 7.48 am earlier. It has a depth of 32 km, 10 km east of Eketahuna. Over 1,500 people reported feeling the quake.
"It was very scary but there was no damage anywhere," Kerry Brewer from the Eketahuna Four Square told Radio NZ.
Kiwis immediately took to Twitter to post their fears and reactions.
"Quake season is back," Monica Moraes said. "Everyday or so we feel a little rattle here in Welly. Go away!"
Quite a big #eqnz just then - first time I've felt one in the chamber.
"Everything in my lounge moved. Not cool, nature. Not cool," a certain Victoria posted.
A very notable jolt just then! #eqnz— Simon O'Connor (@SimonOConnorMP) June 26, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon