4.8 Magnitude Quake Shakes New Zealand’s Lower North Island
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 26, 2014 5:06 PM EST
An earthquake measuring 4.8 magnitude struck New Zealand's lower North Island on Thursday.
Its epicentre was located 40km south-west of Whanganui at a depth of 40km, but its intensity was felt as far south as Kaikorua and well into Taranaki. Far north Taumarunui likewise felt it, Radio New Zealand said.
A car sinks into a hole caused by an earthquake in the southern New Zealand city of Christchurch June 13, 2011. REUTERS/TIM KELLEHER/HANDOUT
The afternoon temblor that occurred shortly before 4 pm followed a magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck at 7.48 am earlier. It has a depth of 32 km, 10 km east of Eketahuna. Over 1,500 people reported feeling the quake.
"It was very scary but there was no damage anywhere," Kerry Brewer from the Eketahuna Four Square told Radio NZ.
Kiwis immediately took to Twitter to post their fears and reactions.
"Quake season is back," Monica Moraes said. "Everyday or so we feel a little rattle here in Welly. Go away!"
Quite a big #eqnz just then - first time I've felt one in the chamber.
"Everything in my lounge moved. Not cool, nature. Not cool," a certain Victoria posted.
A very notable jolt just then! #eqnz— Simon O'Connor (@SimonOConnorMP) June 26, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Over 30 People Likely Dead From Mount Ontake Eruption
- Complex Alien Molecule May Offer Hints At Origin Of Life
- Harry Potter's Invisibility Cloak: New York Scientists Unveil A Cloaking Device [Watch Video]
- Boy Bitten By A Snake During A Visit To The Botanical Garden In Melbourne
- Eerie Reddish Glow Of October 8 Total Lunar Eclipse – Astronomer Reminds Aussies To Enjoy Photo Opp
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate