4.8 Magnitude Quake Shakes New Zealand’s Lower North Island
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 26, 2014 5:06 PM EST
An earthquake measuring 4.8 magnitude struck New Zealand's lower North Island on Thursday.
Its epicentre was located 40km south-west of Whanganui at a depth of 40km, but its intensity was felt as far south as Kaikorua and well into Taranaki. Far north Taumarunui likewise felt it, Radio New Zealand said.
A car sinks into a hole caused by an earthquake in the southern New Zealand city of Christchurch June 13, 2011. REUTERS/TIM KELLEHER/HANDOUT
The afternoon temblor that occurred shortly before 4 pm followed a magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck at 7.48 am earlier. It has a depth of 32 km, 10 km east of Eketahuna. Over 1,500 people reported feeling the quake.
"It was very scary but there was no damage anywhere," Kerry Brewer from the Eketahuna Four Square told Radio NZ.
Kiwis immediately took to Twitter to post their fears and reactions.
"Quake season is back," Monica Moraes said. "Everyday or so we feel a little rattle here in Welly. Go away!"
Quite a big #eqnz just then - first time I've felt one in the chamber.
"Everything in my lounge moved. Not cool, nature. Not cool," a certain Victoria posted.
A very notable jolt just then! #eqnz— Simon O'Connor (@SimonOConnorMP) June 26, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Walking Fish Reveal How Our Ancestors Evolved Onto Land (Watch Video)
- Bad Memories Can be Changed into Good Ones, Say Scientists
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen