4.8 Magnitude Quake Shakes New Zealand’s Lower North Island
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 26, 2014 5:06 PM EST
An earthquake measuring 4.8 magnitude struck New Zealand's lower North Island on Thursday.
Its epicentre was located 40km south-west of Whanganui at a depth of 40km, but its intensity was felt as far south as Kaikorua and well into Taranaki. Far north Taumarunui likewise felt it, Radio New Zealand said.
A car sinks into a hole caused by an earthquake in the southern New Zealand city of Christchurch June 13, 2011. REUTERS/TIM KELLEHER/HANDOUT
The afternoon temblor that occurred shortly before 4 pm followed a magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck at 7.48 am earlier. It has a depth of 32 km, 10 km east of Eketahuna. Over 1,500 people reported feeling the quake.
"It was very scary but there was no damage anywhere," Kerry Brewer from the Eketahuna Four Square told Radio NZ.
Kiwis immediately took to Twitter to post their fears and reactions.
"Quake season is back," Monica Moraes said. "Everyday or so we feel a little rattle here in Welly. Go away!"
Quite a big #eqnz just then - first time I've felt one in the chamber.
"Everything in my lounge moved. Not cool, nature. Not cool," a certain Victoria posted.
A very notable jolt just then! #eqnz— Simon O'Connor (@SimonOConnorMP) June 26, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop