USA vs. Germany Experts Pick, Predicted Lineup, Injury Update & Tactics - 2014 World Cup
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 26, 2014 3:41 PM EST
The United States and Germany have the chance to move into the next round with a draw, but both teams are proud enough to say no to game-fixing. On Thursday, the Yankees will gun for a win against a highly-talented German squad at Arena Pernambuco in Recife, Brazil.
Germany's Mueller celebrates scoring his team's third goal, his second goal for the match, against Portugal during their 2014 World Cup Group G soccer match at the Fonte Nova arena in Salvador
What's at Stake?
*The United States can punch into the knockout stages with a victory or draw against Germany. The safest between the two scenarios is to try for a win, but a draw isn't bad either.
However, head coach Jurgen Klinsmann insisted that the upcoming battle between his current squad and former team is not just another game, as he looks to make a point against his former assistant Joachim Low and his German assassins.
There is no time for friendship calls to Jogi,' Klinsmann said in an interview with the Daily Mail. 'This is all about business now. There will be no such call. In three weeks from now we will be back on the phone and talk about it and visit each other's families. But we want to make the life of Germans more difficult, we want to beat them.'
*The Germans are also looking for an emphatic finish in the group stages by beating the United States, a team they defeated six out of their previous nine head-to-head matches. Low, who served as assistant to Klinsmann in the 2006 World Cup, said he's going to push his team for an all-out attack against the Americans.
"It [their friendship] is an important topic but for me personally this is just a game against another national team. It's the third match in the group phase and a decisive game. It doesn't have much to do with the coach," Low said of his friendship with Klinsmann in an interview with Goal.com.
United States: Jozy Altidore is expected to sit on the bench for United States, as he continues to nurse his hamstring injury.
Germany: Jerome Boateng could also miss the final group match, but Shkodran Mustafi is ready to replace him at right back.
USA (Possible, 4-2-3-1): Howard; Johnson, Cameron, Besler, Beasley; Beckerman, Jones; Bedoya, Bradley, Zusi; Dempsey
Germany (Possible, 4-2-3-1): Neuer; Howedes, Hummels, Mertesacker, Lahm; Schweinsteiger, Khedira; Özil, Kroos, Götze; Müller
Telegraph's John Ley predicted an action-packed game between the United States and Germany, but believed the Germans have the extra talent to grind out a 3-1 victory. BBC's Mark Lawrenson also predicted a 2-0 German triumph on Thursday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR - Preview and Live Streaming Link
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- US Government Threatened Yahoo to Provide User Data: If not Pay a Fine of $250,000 per day
- Optus Successfully Launches Optus 10 Satellite That Will Improve TV, Internet, Phone & Data Transmission In Australia
- 7 Reasons Why Atlassian Topped BRW’s Best Place To Work In Australia 2014 List
- Pope Francis Blasted For Defying Catholic Doctrine, Marries 20 Couples Who Have Cohabited And Had Children In No Else But St Peter's Basilica