USA vs. Germany Experts Pick, Predicted Lineup, Injury Update & Tactics - 2014 World Cup
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 26, 2014 3:41 PM EST
The United States and Germany have the chance to move into the next round with a draw, but both teams are proud enough to say no to game-fixing. On Thursday, the Yankees will gun for a win against a highly-talented German squad at Arena Pernambuco in Recife, Brazil.
Germany's Mueller celebrates scoring his team's third goal, his second goal for the match, against Portugal during their 2014 World Cup Group G soccer match at the Fonte Nova arena in Salvador
What's at Stake?
*The United States can punch into the knockout stages with a victory or draw against Germany. The safest between the two scenarios is to try for a win, but a draw isn't bad either.
However, head coach Jurgen Klinsmann insisted that the upcoming battle between his current squad and former team is not just another game, as he looks to make a point against his former assistant Joachim Low and his German assassins.
There is no time for friendship calls to Jogi,' Klinsmann said in an interview with the Daily Mail. 'This is all about business now. There will be no such call. In three weeks from now we will be back on the phone and talk about it and visit each other's families. But we want to make the life of Germans more difficult, we want to beat them.'
*The Germans are also looking for an emphatic finish in the group stages by beating the United States, a team they defeated six out of their previous nine head-to-head matches. Low, who served as assistant to Klinsmann in the 2006 World Cup, said he's going to push his team for an all-out attack against the Americans.
"It [their friendship] is an important topic but for me personally this is just a game against another national team. It's the third match in the group phase and a decisive game. It doesn't have much to do with the coach," Low said of his friendship with Klinsmann in an interview with Goal.com.
United States: Jozy Altidore is expected to sit on the bench for United States, as he continues to nurse his hamstring injury.
Germany: Jerome Boateng could also miss the final group match, but Shkodran Mustafi is ready to replace him at right back.
USA (Possible, 4-2-3-1): Howard; Johnson, Cameron, Besler, Beasley; Beckerman, Jones; Bedoya, Bradley, Zusi; Dempsey
Germany (Possible, 4-2-3-1): Neuer; Howedes, Hummels, Mertesacker, Lahm; Schweinsteiger, Khedira; Özil, Kroos, Götze; Müller
Telegraph's John Ley predicted an action-packed game between the United States and Germany, but believed the Germans have the extra talent to grind out a 3-1 victory. BBC's Mark Lawrenson also predicted a 2-0 German triumph on Thursday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6