USA vs. Germany Experts Pick, Predicted Lineup, Injury Update & Tactics - 2014 World Cup
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 26, 2014 3:41 PM EST
The United States and Germany have the chance to move into the next round with a draw, but both teams are proud enough to say no to game-fixing. On Thursday, the Yankees will gun for a win against a highly-talented German squad at Arena Pernambuco in Recife, Brazil.
Germany's Mueller celebrates scoring his team's third goal, his second goal for the match, against Portugal during their 2014 World Cup Group G soccer match at the Fonte Nova arena in Salvador
What's at Stake?
*The United States can punch into the knockout stages with a victory or draw against Germany. The safest between the two scenarios is to try for a win, but a draw isn't bad either.
However, head coach Jurgen Klinsmann insisted that the upcoming battle between his current squad and former team is not just another game, as he looks to make a point against his former assistant Joachim Low and his German assassins.
There is no time for friendship calls to Jogi,' Klinsmann said in an interview with the Daily Mail. 'This is all about business now. There will be no such call. In three weeks from now we will be back on the phone and talk about it and visit each other's families. But we want to make the life of Germans more difficult, we want to beat them.'
*The Germans are also looking for an emphatic finish in the group stages by beating the United States, a team they defeated six out of their previous nine head-to-head matches. Low, who served as assistant to Klinsmann in the 2006 World Cup, said he's going to push his team for an all-out attack against the Americans.
"It [their friendship] is an important topic but for me personally this is just a game against another national team. It's the third match in the group phase and a decisive game. It doesn't have much to do with the coach," Low said of his friendship with Klinsmann in an interview with Goal.com.
United States: Jozy Altidore is expected to sit on the bench for United States, as he continues to nurse his hamstring injury.
Germany: Jerome Boateng could also miss the final group match, but Shkodran Mustafi is ready to replace him at right back.
USA (Possible, 4-2-3-1): Howard; Johnson, Cameron, Besler, Beasley; Beckerman, Jones; Bedoya, Bradley, Zusi; Dempsey
Germany (Possible, 4-2-3-1): Neuer; Howedes, Hummels, Mertesacker, Lahm; Schweinsteiger, Khedira; Özil, Kroos, Götze; Müller
Telegraph's John Ley predicted an action-packed game between the United States and Germany, but believed the Germans have the extra talent to grind out a 3-1 victory. BBC's Mark Lawrenson also predicted a 2-0 German triumph on Thursday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff