USA vs. Germany Experts Pick, Predicted Lineup, Injury Update & Tactics - 2014 World Cup
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 26, 2014 3:41 PM EST
The United States and Germany have the chance to move into the next round with a draw, but both teams are proud enough to say no to game-fixing. On Thursday, the Yankees will gun for a win against a highly-talented German squad at Arena Pernambuco in Recife, Brazil.
Germany's Mueller celebrates scoring his team's third goal, his second goal for the match, against Portugal during their 2014 World Cup Group G soccer match at the Fonte Nova arena in Salvador
What's at Stake?
*The United States can punch into the knockout stages with a victory or draw against Germany. The safest between the two scenarios is to try for a win, but a draw isn't bad either.
However, head coach Jurgen Klinsmann insisted that the upcoming battle between his current squad and former team is not just another game, as he looks to make a point against his former assistant Joachim Low and his German assassins.
There is no time for friendship calls to Jogi,' Klinsmann said in an interview with the Daily Mail. 'This is all about business now. There will be no such call. In three weeks from now we will be back on the phone and talk about it and visit each other's families. But we want to make the life of Germans more difficult, we want to beat them.'
*The Germans are also looking for an emphatic finish in the group stages by beating the United States, a team they defeated six out of their previous nine head-to-head matches. Low, who served as assistant to Klinsmann in the 2006 World Cup, said he's going to push his team for an all-out attack against the Americans.
"It [their friendship] is an important topic but for me personally this is just a game against another national team. It's the third match in the group phase and a decisive game. It doesn't have much to do with the coach," Low said of his friendship with Klinsmann in an interview with Goal.com.
United States: Jozy Altidore is expected to sit on the bench for United States, as he continues to nurse his hamstring injury.
Germany: Jerome Boateng could also miss the final group match, but Shkodran Mustafi is ready to replace him at right back.
USA (Possible, 4-2-3-1): Howard; Johnson, Cameron, Besler, Beasley; Beckerman, Jones; Bedoya, Bradley, Zusi; Dempsey
Germany (Possible, 4-2-3-1): Neuer; Howedes, Hummels, Mertesacker, Lahm; Schweinsteiger, Khedira; Özil, Kroos, Götze; Müller
Telegraph's John Ley predicted an action-packed game between the United States and Germany, but believed the Germans have the extra talent to grind out a 3-1 victory. BBC's Mark Lawrenson also predicted a 2-0 German triumph on Thursday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June