Fighting for New Zealand Pride: Joseph Parker Out for Blood Against Kiwi-Killer Brian Minto
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 26, 2014 3:40 PM EST
Joseph Parker of New Zealand wants to avenge the loss of a compatriot to Brian Minto when they meet at the Vodafone Events Centre in Manukau City, New Zealand next Saturday, July 5. Nicknamed “The Beast”, the American Minto wants another Kiwi in his list of victims in his 12-year boxing career.
Minto, who carries a 39-7 record with 25 knockouts, is actually just 2-2 in his last four matches but he's coming off a big win over Shane Cameron, who is the number one fighter from New Zealand. In that fight, Minto forced the 36-year-old Cameron to a 7th round TKO because of cuts above the Kiwi’s eyes.
Minto claimed the WBO Oriental heavyweight championship in that fight and will put the same title on the line against the 22-year-old Parker, who is 17 years junior of the American champion. The bout will also be for the Pan-Asian Boxing Association (PABA) interim heavyweight title.
Parker is undefeated in eight fights (8-0) with seven coming by way of knockout. Parker has won his last three fights by Technical Knock Out (TKO) with wins over Frans Botha (2nd round) of South Africa; Afa Tatupu (2nd round) of New Zealand; and Marcelo Luiz Nascimento (7th round) of Brazil.
Aside from the obvious “revenge factor” there are other controversies in the fight.
“Parker claims Minto is spreading false rumors about him being knocked down in sparring and still not being recovered from an eardrum injury,” reports BoxingNews.com. “Parker’s trainer Kevin Barry has pushed for a drug test which will be administered to both fighters in front of the media Thursday. There is also a glove controversy, with Minto balking at Parker’s horsehair and foam “cheater’s gloves.””
Nine days before the fight in New Zealand and the match-up between Parker and Minto is already heating up.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation