Fighting for New Zealand Pride: Joseph Parker Out for Blood Against Kiwi-Killer Brian Minto
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 26, 2014 3:40 PM EST
Joseph Parker of New Zealand wants to avenge the loss of a compatriot to Brian Minto when they meet at the Vodafone Events Centre in Manukau City, New Zealand next Saturday, July 5. Nicknamed “The Beast”, the American Minto wants another Kiwi in his list of victims in his 12-year boxing career.
Minto, who carries a 39-7 record with 25 knockouts, is actually just 2-2 in his last four matches but he's coming off a big win over Shane Cameron, who is the number one fighter from New Zealand. In that fight, Minto forced the 36-year-old Cameron to a 7th round TKO because of cuts above the Kiwi’s eyes.
Minto claimed the WBO Oriental heavyweight championship in that fight and will put the same title on the line against the 22-year-old Parker, who is 17 years junior of the American champion. The bout will also be for the Pan-Asian Boxing Association (PABA) interim heavyweight title.
Parker is undefeated in eight fights (8-0) with seven coming by way of knockout. Parker has won his last three fights by Technical Knock Out (TKO) with wins over Frans Botha (2nd round) of South Africa; Afa Tatupu (2nd round) of New Zealand; and Marcelo Luiz Nascimento (7th round) of Brazil.
Aside from the obvious “revenge factor” there are other controversies in the fight.
“Parker claims Minto is spreading false rumors about him being knocked down in sparring and still not being recovered from an eardrum injury,” reports BoxingNews.com. “Parker’s trainer Kevin Barry has pushed for a drug test which will be administered to both fighters in front of the media Thursday. There is also a glove controversy, with Minto balking at Parker’s horsehair and foam “cheater’s gloves.””
Nine days before the fight in New Zealand and the match-up between Parker and Minto is already heating up.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools