Google Unveils Android L; HTC One (M7) And (M8) Get L
By Naveena Joy | June 26, 2014 3:30 PM EST
Google has brought together all global developers in its I/O conference. Its first biggest announcement was “Android L” with 5,000 new APIs and newly designed carrying Android in all other devices and not only phones and tablets.
The new design is known as “material design,” which uses the shadows and elevation to differentiate layers that are in the user's interface. The new animations give easy switch between apps and upgrade the experience altogether when new elements are seen on the screen.
For better compatibility with Android devices, the Robot font has also been updated. The lock screen is also upgraded with full list of notifications that are actionable and could be swiped to dismiss or tapped to open the apps.
Also, the heads up notifications are also introduced that appear over an open app for action. The Android L running devices will find out locations and devices with the new smarter unlock feature.
Instead of using the Dalvik virtual machine (VM) it now has art, which can be used with 64-bit architecture to improve the performance of the application.
The “Project Volta” initiates the Android L that features a lot of optimizations to improve the battery life that extends usage time by 90 minutes. The L also provides security feature by restoring the device back to factory setting if lost or stolen. There are other additional malware protection features that are available in the Google Play app store.
The other big announcement was made by HTC that it will bring Android L to both HTC One (M7) and HTC One (M8) “within 90 days of receiving final software from Google.” It is also good news for smartphone users who already bought the HTC flagship back in 2013.
HTC is at its “pre-evaluation phase” of the new software and does not provide any timeline when Android L will be available to both the devices. But it is satisfactory when the consumers buy a flagship HTC device. It definitely guarantees to get the latest software at the right time.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Facebook To Charge Users Of $2.99 Monthly Fee On November 1; Best Free Alternatives For Facebook
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition' What Players Can Expect Before November 18 Release Date
- 'World Of Warcraft Warlords Of Draenor' Spoilers: 'WoD' In-Game Cinematics Revealed, Plus There's A Brewfest For The Horde And Alliance Players [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Microsoft Promises A Better ‘Minecraft,’ Game To Come to Windows Phone
- The Pirate Bay Operations: 21 Virtual Machines Are Used To Run The File-sharing Website
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?