Qantas Flight Attendant Writes Tell-All Book, Dishes on Katy Perry, Russell Brand, Kylie Minogue
By Anne Lu | June 26, 2014 3:10 PM EST
Katy Perry is influential, Cat Blanchett is down-to-earth, Russell Brand is intellectual and Kylie Minogue is understanding, according to a former Qantas Airline flight attendant. Owen Bedall dishes celebrity dirt behind first-class section in his book “Confessions of a Qantas Flight Attendant – True Tales and Gossip from the Galley.”
Singer Katy Perry attends the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA)'s 35th Anniversary Gala presented by Louis Vuitton at The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA in Los Angeles, California March 29, 2014. REUTERS/Jonathan Alcorn
Bedall was a “flying kangaroo” steward for 12 years until he retired in 2013 after suffering from a workplace injury. He had been with the company since 2001, and had become a first-class steward in 2005.
In his book, which he co-wrote with ghost writer Libby Harkness, he revealed who among the celebrities who flew with Qantas were the friendliest, and who among them were the naughtiest.
According to Bedall, he got his idea for the book from Perry, who encouraged him to write his experience in serving celebs in the expensive section of the plane.
“I was chatting to Katy in 2008 and telling her about my stories,” he said. “We got on so well and had such a connection, she encouraged me to write the book and turn it into something magical.”
Bedall served Perry and Brand in the plane before the two became public with their relationship. As the world knew what happened, the American songstress and the British comic got married and subsequently divorced in 2012.
Although Brand sometimes gives off the impression that he is just a playboy jokester, Bedall said there’s more to him than that.
“He took me completely by surprise. He’s a true intellectual – like Stephen Fry – really spiritual, a vegan and completely gets the whole joke of celebrity,” he wrote in the book, excerpts of which were obtained by Fairfax Media.
Minogue, on the other hand, is just “warm and kind.” When Bedall accidentally spilt wine over “The Voice Australia” coach, Minogue just laughed.
British brother Liam and Noel Gallagher from the rock band Oasis were apparently the naughty ones who offered the plane’s flight attendants around A$1807 each to allow them to smoke in the toilets. Bedall, who held a senior position in the crew, just advised his co-workers to “Just get the money up front.”
He also had a story about Aussie Olympic gold medallist Grant Hackett, who went “off his head” on sleeping pills. The swimmer attempted to head to first from business class and pee inside the plane.
“Smile” singer Lily Allen was originally seated at the business class, but was invited by Bedall in the first class galley for a drink. Bedall, who is gay, loaded her with first class goodies to get some girl-gay scoop.
Bedall also recounted his most horrible flight, and it didn’t involve any celebrity. He shared what went on during his “nightmare flight,” recalling how his boyfriend Toby walked on board with his wife, much to the surprise of both men.
Although he was shocked and hurt, he welcomed the wife with his best smile, saying, “Welcome on board Mrs Thomas, Toby’s told me so much about you. It’s delightful to have you flying with us today.”
The wife, who was unaware of Bedall’s romantic connection to her husband, liked the friendly flight attendant so much that she ended up talking with him and inviting him to have dinner at their house.
“Confessions of a Qantas Flight Attendant – True Tales and Gossip from the Galley” is published by Random House, and will be available on July 1.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales