NBA Trade 2014 - Rockets Unload Omer Asik to New Orleans; Jeremy Lin Next as Houston Clears Cap Space for LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony
By James Patrick Quizon | June 26, 2014 1:51 PM EST
The chase for LeBron James and/or Carmelo Anthony is heating up and the Houston Rockets are aggressively pursuing trades that will give them the cap space to sign one of the superstar free agents going into the 2014-2015 NBA season.
NBA: Playoffs-Houston Rockets at Portland Trail Blazers
The Decision 2.0: Five Teams Including Chicago Bulls, Dallas Mavericks and Cleveland Cavaliers are Top Contenders for Free Agent LeBron James
Houston general manager Daryl Morey is set to deliver a cap-clearing move in the next few days and will deal away promising big man Omer Asik to the New Orleans Pelicans according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
New Orleans will send a future first-round pick to Houston for Asik, league source tells Yahoo Sports. Deal will give Rockets cap space.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) June 26, 2014
Asik is set to earn $14.9M-- with only around $8M counted against the cap in the 2014-2015 season, the final year of his back-loaded deal with Houston. The Turkish big man produced great numbers with his previous team, the Orlando Magic but has never seen consistent time and production playing behind star center Dwight Howard.
For New Orleans, they get a big body to pair with rising star Anthony Davis to form a frontcourt that has the potential to be one of the best defensively in the NBA.
What’s Next for Houston?
While Asik’s big contract is off the books, the Rockets have still $51M committed in 2014-2015— below the projected cap of $63M for the next season but not enough to dole out a huge contract to their target free agent who will most likely demand max or near-max money.
Houston can clear some more cap space by dealing away Jeremy Lin who like Asik also has $14.9M in expiring salary next season. If they are successful in unloading Lin’s contract, they’ll have around $23M to work with for their free agency needs in this offseason.
There are also reports that Morey is willing do a sign-and-trade with the New York Knicks centering on Anthony and James Harden. If that is a possibility then Houston has a chance of landing both Melo (via sign-and-trade) and LeBron (via outright FA signing).
Getting both superstars is probably a pipe dream and the best case scenario for the Rockets for now. But by clearing cap space with the Asik trade—and eventually a Lin deal—they at least have a shot of reloading with at least, one big name free agent.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Georges St-Pierre Opines Nick Diaz Would Have a Stronger Chance Against Anderson Silva If Fight Goes Longer
- Chelsea FC: Spanish NT Doctor Belies Mourinho's Claim That Diego Costa Aggravated Hamstring Injury
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists