Kylie Minogue Compares ‘Dark’ ‘The Voice UK’ to ‘Spectacular’ ‘The Voice Australia’ [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | June 26, 2014 1:23 PM EST
Kylie Minogue thinks the UK edition of “The Voice” is “dark and icy cold” compared to the “spectacular and gladiatorial” “The Voice Australia.”
The Aussie music icon was a mentor on the third series of “The Voice UK,” and is currently a coach on the present season three of “The Voice Australia,” which probably made her the right person to say something about both shows.
And while Kylie didn’t exactly say that the UK show is bad and the Aussie show is good, she has some choice poetic words to describe both, giving the impression that the UK one is a dismal place to work in.
“We were in Manchester in a nice studio, but it’ smaller and it’s darker and it’s 4pm, icy cold,” she was quoted by the Sydney Morning Herald as saying.
“When we started to film the blind auditions [in Australia] it was January, so it was a beautiful day. It’s a blue sky, everyone’s happy, you’re walking around [cheerful] in your songs.”
Aside from the unmistakable disparity in climate between the UK and Australia, Kylie added that it was the difference in the mood that was truly apparent.
“Apart from [being great] because I’m hoe, here it feels much more of a commercial show, more spectacular, almost gladiatorial. It’s kind of bigger and glitzier... with a much smaller population [we] do it much bigger and I have to say the quality of the contestants is pretty extraordinary.”
The UK version, on the other hand, was more emotional. There were auditions that had even made members of her security team cry.
“For example my team, it feels like we don’t see them for weeks. But at the end of the day we get the gossip and the fallout from everything we’ve filmed that day and my security guy would say, ‘Don’t do that again, I was in floods of tears,’ especially in the blind audition when people don’t make it through, but I felt like there was less of that here.
“I don’t know that it’s scripted that way, it’s just the atmosphere or maybe I have a particularly sensitive security guy in England.”
As for who she thinks will win the Australian show, Kat Jade and Robbie Balmer from her team are her bet, though Holly Tapp from Joel Madden’s team is also a strong contender.
Kylie only stayed for one season in “The Voice UK,” citing schedule clash with her tour dates as reason for leaving. It’s also unknown if she would be back for the next season of “The Voice Australia” after the current season ends.
“I don’t know, I really don’t. It’s a big commitment to do the show and I’m loving it, but we are yet to have our first [truly] live show,” she said.
“I’m trying to plan my year next and that is one of the things that would be in question but I honestly don’t know.”
Kylie isn’t the only “The Voice” mentor who have worked in both UK and Australian versions. Black Eyed Peas star will.i.am has been with the UK version since its start in 2012, and is also currently a coach in the Australian show alongside Kylie, Joel and Ricky Martin.
Kylie in “The Voice UK”
Kylie in “The Voice Australia”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- MH17: Shrapnel Hits Plane, Russia Calls for UN-led Investigation