Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Nexus 5: Camera Not Working and Battery Drain, Safe Mode Reboot to Fix
By Ryan Inoyori | June 26, 2014 12:28 PM EST
Android 4.4.4 KitKat addressed an important security flaw on the Android 4.4.3 version for Nexus devices. However, some Nexus 5 users have experienced something weird with the camera application after updating to the latest Android KitKat version.
Android 4.4.4 KitKat Camera Issue
Some LG Nexus 5 owners who updated their smartphone to the latest Android 4.4.4 KitKat version found something weird on the camera app. According to complaints sent at the official product forum of Google, some users reported malfunction of the camera application.
Google product forum member Eric filed a report who claims that the 'camera does not work' on Nexus 5 running Android 4.4.4 which seems to be fine with Android 4.4.3. Additionally, the user also complained about the drastic battery drop on the new firmware version.
"After a recent update to 4.4.4, the camera does not work on my phone (Nexus 5) anymore. Battery life is also been very bad. When I had 4.4.3, it used to last a day without heavy usage. Now running on 4.4.4, only 6 hours max," Eric's post at the product forum.
A solution has been posted to address Eric's issue with Android 4.4.4 camera problem by booting the device into Safe Mode.
"We have had people experiencing the same issues with some being fixed and some not. It's quite mixed. We have to base ourselves on what people tell us and it's hard for us to help if we are not there in front of the phone. So, with that said, first thing to try is boot in SAFE MODE and see if you can use the Google Camera App (the new one). Let us know how that goes. Marc," Bigs73 replied to Eric at the product forum.
Using the resolution method, Nexus 5 camera on Android 4.4.4 KitKat under Safe Mode seems to be going fine and restarting the device once more to Normal Mode will ultimately solve the issue.
However, the battery issue has more details other than rapid battery drop. The same complainant described certain increase on the device's temperature attributed with battery drain. No resolution at this time has been posted.
Android 4.4.4 KitKat Change Logs
Android 4.4.4 KitKat primarily addresses the security issue which exposes Nexus devices to Heartbleed bug. Based on the details grabbed by XDA from FunkyAndroid, the new firmware resolves the vulnerability on OpenSSL.
Before the change logs were unveiled, many believed that the vulnerability came from Linux kernel CVE-2014-3153 exploited in geohot's towelroot. But the truth is that the weakness came from OpenSSL early CCS issue that may lead to some types of man-in-the-middle attacks.
Sprint's official change logs noted that Android 4.4.4 KitKat is designed to fix security problems on the last Android KitKat version. Click here for the full details of the Android 4.4.4 KitKat change logs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 635: Microsoft Drops AT&T Smartphone's Price For 2014 Black Friday Sale
- Google’s Mobile Search To Lessen Stress Of Black Friday Shopping
- ‘Destiny’ Dev Holds Own Black Friday 2014 Sale As More The Dark Below Details Get Revealed
- Apple’s Black Friday Sale Versus Other Retailers
- ‘GTA V' Title Update 1.04, Black Friday Sale And Heists DLC Release In December Possible
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast