Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Nexus 5: Camera Not Working and Battery Drain, Safe Mode Reboot to Fix
By Ryan Inoyori | June 26, 2014 12:28 PM EST
Android 4.4.4 KitKat addressed an important security flaw on the Android 4.4.3 version for Nexus devices. However, some Nexus 5 users have experienced something weird with the camera application after updating to the latest Android KitKat version.
Android 4.4.4 KitKat Camera Issue
Some LG Nexus 5 owners who updated their smartphone to the latest Android 4.4.4 KitKat version found something weird on the camera app. According to complaints sent at the official product forum of Google, some users reported malfunction of the camera application.
Google product forum member Eric filed a report who claims that the 'camera does not work' on Nexus 5 running Android 4.4.4 which seems to be fine with Android 4.4.3. Additionally, the user also complained about the drastic battery drop on the new firmware version.
"After a recent update to 4.4.4, the camera does not work on my phone (Nexus 5) anymore. Battery life is also been very bad. When I had 4.4.3, it used to last a day without heavy usage. Now running on 4.4.4, only 6 hours max," Eric's post at the product forum.
A solution has been posted to address Eric's issue with Android 4.4.4 camera problem by booting the device into Safe Mode.
"We have had people experiencing the same issues with some being fixed and some not. It's quite mixed. We have to base ourselves on what people tell us and it's hard for us to help if we are not there in front of the phone. So, with that said, first thing to try is boot in SAFE MODE and see if you can use the Google Camera App (the new one). Let us know how that goes. Marc," Bigs73 replied to Eric at the product forum.
Using the resolution method, Nexus 5 camera on Android 4.4.4 KitKat under Safe Mode seems to be going fine and restarting the device once more to Normal Mode will ultimately solve the issue.
However, the battery issue has more details other than rapid battery drop. The same complainant described certain increase on the device's temperature attributed with battery drain. No resolution at this time has been posted.
Android 4.4.4 KitKat Change Logs
Android 4.4.4 KitKat primarily addresses the security issue which exposes Nexus devices to Heartbleed bug. Based on the details grabbed by XDA from FunkyAndroid, the new firmware resolves the vulnerability on OpenSSL.
Before the change logs were unveiled, many believed that the vulnerability came from Linux kernel CVE-2014-3153 exploited in geohot's towelroot. But the truth is that the weakness came from OpenSSL early CCS issue that may lead to some types of man-in-the-middle attacks.
Sprint's official change logs noted that Android 4.4.4 KitKat is designed to fix security problems on the last Android KitKat version. Click here for the full details of the Android 4.4.4 KitKat change logs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Tips For LG Nexus 5: Notifications, Accessibility, Privacy And Saving Battery
- Samsung Galaxy S6, Galaxy Note 5 And Sony Xperia Z4: Top Things Unveiled So Far
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Hits Battle Frontier Plus New Discoveries
- Apple Watch: Works Only With The iPhone And The Confusing Apple WatchKit Software
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition' Starter Tips And Tricks: Character Creation, Combat Modes, Party, Looting, War Table
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Xiaomi to Kill Redmi 1S for More Redmi Notes
- New Zealand Dairy Industry Feels Bullish At Chinese President's Visit