Cashing In on Uruguay's Hungry Star: Luis Suarez's Bite is a Big Hit for Online Gamblers
By James Patrick Quizon | June 26, 2014 11:51 AM EST
No decision on Uruguay’s Luis Suarez has been levied by FIFA yet on the apparent biting incident in their game against Italy but already some quarters are rejoicing for his despicable actions: the online bettors who wagered that indeed Suarez will lose his cool at some point of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Uruguay's Luis Suarez holds his teeth during the 2014 World Cup Group D soccer match between Uruguay and Italy at the Dunas arena in Natal June 24, 2014. Italy's Giorgio Chiellini accused Suarez of biting his shoulder.
Since Suarez took a chomp off Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini’s shoulder, various reports have trickled in online about multiple individual bettors who cashed in because of the incident.
Jonathan Braeck, a 23-year-old teacher from Sweden won 13,999.98 Swedish Krona (Skr) or roughly AU$ 2,210) off a Skr 80 (AU$ 12.63) wagered on an online betting site BetSafe that offered the proposition bet (prop bet) “Kommer Luis Suarez att bita nagon motspelare? (translated to: Will Luis Suarez bite an opponent?)
Braeck posted the winning bet ticket on his Twitter account announcing to the world that he was “satisfied” by what Suarez did.
Another online bettor from nearby Norway also had a huge win for risking that a crazy play from Suarez was indeed going to happen.
The Norwegian bettor predicted “yes” on the prop bet, “Vil Luis Suarez bit en annen spiller?” (translated to: Will Luis Suarez bite another player?) and it paid off 5,600 Norwegian Krone (roughly AU$ 970) after investing just 32 Norwegian Krone (AU$ 5.55)
On both counts, the betting odds for Suarez “to bite another player” was at 176.00 (Sports betting formula: Amount of bet times betting odds equals’ payout).
In this edition of the World Cup in Brazil, Suarez will be remembered as that player who lived up to expectations—the bad kind.
Unfortunately for the Uruguayan star, it could cost him the tournament. Fortunately for the online gamblers who believed that Suarez is indeed crazy and will do some crazy acts on the Brazilian pitch, the huge online winnings can feel like they have won the World Cup already.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks