Cashing In on Uruguay's Hungry Star: Luis Suarez's Bite is a Big Hit for Online Gamblers
By James Patrick Quizon | June 26, 2014 11:51 AM EST
No decision on Uruguay’s Luis Suarez has been levied by FIFA yet on the apparent biting incident in their game against Italy but already some quarters are rejoicing for his despicable actions: the online bettors who wagered that indeed Suarez will lose his cool at some point of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Uruguay's Luis Suarez holds his teeth during the 2014 World Cup Group D soccer match between Uruguay and Italy at the Dunas arena in Natal June 24, 2014. Italy's Giorgio Chiellini accused Suarez of biting his shoulder.
Since Suarez took a chomp off Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini’s shoulder, various reports have trickled in online about multiple individual bettors who cashed in because of the incident.
Jonathan Braeck, a 23-year-old teacher from Sweden won 13,999.98 Swedish Krona (Skr) or roughly AU$ 2,210) off a Skr 80 (AU$ 12.63) wagered on an online betting site BetSafe that offered the proposition bet (prop bet) “Kommer Luis Suarez att bita nagon motspelare? (translated to: Will Luis Suarez bite an opponent?)
Braeck posted the winning bet ticket on his Twitter account announcing to the world that he was “satisfied” by what Suarez did.
Another online bettor from nearby Norway also had a huge win for risking that a crazy play from Suarez was indeed going to happen.
The Norwegian bettor predicted “yes” on the prop bet, “Vil Luis Suarez bit en annen spiller?” (translated to: Will Luis Suarez bite another player?) and it paid off 5,600 Norwegian Krone (roughly AU$ 970) after investing just 32 Norwegian Krone (AU$ 5.55)
On both counts, the betting odds for Suarez “to bite another player” was at 176.00 (Sports betting formula: Amount of bet times betting odds equals’ payout).
In this edition of the World Cup in Brazil, Suarez will be remembered as that player who lived up to expectations—the bad kind.
Unfortunately for the Uruguayan star, it could cost him the tournament. Fortunately for the online gamblers who believed that Suarez is indeed crazy and will do some crazy acts on the Brazilian pitch, the huge online winnings can feel like they have won the World Cup already.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS