Cashing In on Uruguay's Hungry Star: Luis Suarez's Bite is a Big Hit for Online Gamblers
By James Patrick Quizon | June 26, 2014 11:51 AM EST
No decision on Uruguay’s Luis Suarez has been levied by FIFA yet on the apparent biting incident in their game against Italy but already some quarters are rejoicing for his despicable actions: the online bettors who wagered that indeed Suarez will lose his cool at some point of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Uruguay's Luis Suarez holds his teeth during the 2014 World Cup Group D soccer match between Uruguay and Italy at the Dunas arena in Natal June 24, 2014. Italy's Giorgio Chiellini accused Suarez of biting his shoulder.
Since Suarez took a chomp off Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini’s shoulder, various reports have trickled in online about multiple individual bettors who cashed in because of the incident.
Jonathan Braeck, a 23-year-old teacher from Sweden won 13,999.98 Swedish Krona (Skr) or roughly AU$ 2,210) off a Skr 80 (AU$ 12.63) wagered on an online betting site BetSafe that offered the proposition bet (prop bet) “Kommer Luis Suarez att bita nagon motspelare? (translated to: Will Luis Suarez bite an opponent?)
Braeck posted the winning bet ticket on his Twitter account announcing to the world that he was “satisfied” by what Suarez did.
Another online bettor from nearby Norway also had a huge win for risking that a crazy play from Suarez was indeed going to happen.
The Norwegian bettor predicted “yes” on the prop bet, “Vil Luis Suarez bit en annen spiller?” (translated to: Will Luis Suarez bite another player?) and it paid off 5,600 Norwegian Krone (roughly AU$ 970) after investing just 32 Norwegian Krone (AU$ 5.55)
On both counts, the betting odds for Suarez “to bite another player” was at 176.00 (Sports betting formula: Amount of bet times betting odds equals’ payout).
In this edition of the World Cup in Brazil, Suarez will be remembered as that player who lived up to expectations—the bad kind.
Unfortunately for the Uruguayan star, it could cost him the tournament. Fortunately for the online gamblers who believed that Suarez is indeed crazy and will do some crazy acts on the Brazilian pitch, the huge online winnings can feel like they have won the World Cup already.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced