Big Day Out Music Festival Cancelled For 2015, ‘Probably’ Returning in the Future
By Anne Lu | June 26, 2014 11:35 AM EST
Big Day Out has been cancelled in all venues in Australia and New Zealand. U.S. company C3 Presents, which owns the festival, has confirmed that it will not be back in 2015, but hopes to bring it back soon.
Documents submitted to the Australian Securities and Investment Commission earlier in June show that Maddah transferred his entire BDO shares to the Austin, Texas company.
“While we intend to bring back the festival in future years, we can confirm there will not be a Big Day Out in 2015,” the C3’s statement, given to Fairfax, reads.
The publication also talked to BDO’s Sydney and Melbourne venues, which both confirmed that the organisers have cancelled the bookings.
“It’s very disappointing for the fans and for us because it’s an iconic event. It was the first rock ‘n roll event I went to and the first we held. I was there for 20 years at Paddington and we’ve been with it here ever since,” Peter Thorpe, general manager of the Sydney Showground, said.
In a recent interview with the Full Metal Lockdown podcast, Maddah didn’t appear to be optimistic about BDO’s future.
“It will probably [return in one form or another, but it won’t be this year,” he said. “This year is already half done. It was an amazing event and without wanting to blow sunshine up my own arse, it’s probably the best festival I’ve ever been to in terms of vibe and everything that was going on. Obviously, I’d love to see it back, but definitely not this year.”
Big Day Out debuted in 1992, and has been held annually since. It was cancelled in New Zealand in 2013, but returned for 2014 at a new venue at the Western Springs Stadium in Auckland.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]