Big Day Out Music Festival Cancelled For 2015, ‘Probably’ Returning in the Future
By Anne Lu | June 26, 2014 11:35 AM EST
Big Day Out has been cancelled in all venues in Australia and New Zealand. U.S. company C3 Presents, which owns the festival, has confirmed that it will not be back in 2015, but hopes to bring it back soon.
Documents submitted to the Australian Securities and Investment Commission earlier in June show that Maddah transferred his entire BDO shares to the Austin, Texas company.
“While we intend to bring back the festival in future years, we can confirm there will not be a Big Day Out in 2015,” the C3’s statement, given to Fairfax, reads.
The publication also talked to BDO’s Sydney and Melbourne venues, which both confirmed that the organisers have cancelled the bookings.
“It’s very disappointing for the fans and for us because it’s an iconic event. It was the first rock ‘n roll event I went to and the first we held. I was there for 20 years at Paddington and we’ve been with it here ever since,” Peter Thorpe, general manager of the Sydney Showground, said.
In a recent interview with the Full Metal Lockdown podcast, Maddah didn’t appear to be optimistic about BDO’s future.
“It will probably [return in one form or another, but it won’t be this year,” he said. “This year is already half done. It was an amazing event and without wanting to blow sunshine up my own arse, it’s probably the best festival I’ve ever been to in terms of vibe and everything that was going on. Obviously, I’d love to see it back, but definitely not this year.”
Big Day Out debuted in 1992, and has been held annually since. It was cancelled in New Zealand in 2013, but returned for 2014 at a new venue at the Western Springs Stadium in Auckland.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family