FIFA 2014 Round of 16 Predictions: Match #50 Colombia vs. Uruguay
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 26, 2014 10:41 AM EST
Colombia 2 Uruguay 0
Colombia's James Rodriguez celebrates after scoring a goal during the 2014 World Cup Group C soccer match between Japan and Colombia at the Pantanal arena in Cuiaba June 24, 2014.
Match number 50 is the second match of the knock-out stages. Colombia won all its matches in the group stages and finished first in Group C. Uruguay, on the other hand, had its ups and downs before qualifying to the "Round of 16" as the second team from the
"group of death" Group D.
Colombia: 5 out of 6 South American teams which took part in 2014 FIFA World Cup qualified for the "Group of 16." Colombia, however, may be the best-performing South American team so far. It started its campaign against Greece which looked helpless in front of the Colombian attack. Colombia showed its ability to score as it won the match 3-0. It was Ivory Coast it had to face in its second match. Colombia was convincing once again and won the match against the African team 2-1. Japan had to beat Colombia in its third match in the group stages to qualify for the next round. Colombia, which already qualified only after two matches, might have been considered to be more relaxed in its approach. However, Colombia had other plans. It won 4-1 against Japan and stormed in to the "Group of 16." James Rodríguez already scored 3 goals in 3 matches as Colombia scored 9 goals and conceded only 2. Colombia continues to be impressive one match after another.
Uruguay: There were high expectations when Uruguay came to the tournament. Even though it was in the "group of death" with teams like Italy and England, it was still favoured by critics to go to the next round. However, the way it started the world cup was absolutely shocking. It lost to Costa Rica 1-3. Its world cup dreams suddenly looked uncertain. However, it managed to recover at the right time. It won against England 2-1, thanks to Luis Suárez's two fabulous goals. It still needed to win against Italy to qualify for the next round. Things looked pretty tight but Uruguay eventually managed to win the match 1-0 with Diego Godín's header. However, one more incident took place in that match. Suárez, who had suffered a 10-match ban for biting Branislav Ivanovic earlier, was accused of biting Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini. If Suárez is proved to be guilty, he is likely to suffer ban again. This will probably damage Uruguay's performance in this match immensely.
Update: Suárez has been banned for 4 months due to the biting incident
Head to Head
These two teams played 38 times against each other before. Colombia won 11, Uruguay 18, and the other 9 matches ended in a draw. A total number of 97 goals were scored. Colombia scored 43, Uruguay 54.
Colombia: James Rodríguez and Jackson Martínez
Uruguay: Edinson Cavani
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 5 pm (local time) on June 28, which means it is 6 am on June 29 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Estádio do Maracanã in Rio de Janeiro.
Colombia will continue to score multiple goals in this match as well. Uruguay will miss the sting. Colombia will win it 3-1.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge