Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Update: Solid Snake and Big Boss Confirmed Not Voiced By David Hayter
By Tanya Diente | June 26, 2014 9:38 AM EST
Ever since "Metal Gear Solid V" creator Hideo Kojima announced that David Hayter will no longer be the voice actor for Big Boss and Solid Snake, fans were in denial until Hayter himself confirmed the news.
Shoppers browse for video games near a poster advertising a FIFA soccer video game played on Sony Corp's PlayStation 4 console, at an electronics retail store in Tokyo June 10, 2014. Sony joined other sponsors on Sunday to call on soccer's rulers to deal thoroughly with allegations of bribery to secure the 2022 World Cup for Qatar, an issue overshadowing this week's kickoff in Brazil. With its four yearly showpiece event only four days away, soccer's governing body FIFA is on the defensive, conducting an internal investigation into the decisions to hold the 2018 World Cup in Russia and the 2022 Cup in Qatar. Both countries have denied any wrongdoing.
David Hayter has been the voice of Big Boss and Solid Snake ever since Metal Gear graced the PS1 franchise in 1998. When fans heard that Kiefer Sutherland is replacing Hayter as the voice actor, they wanted to believe the rumours that somehow Hayter would appear in a surprise appearance in the form of Solid Snake in "Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain."
However, CraveOnline reported that there's no basis for the rumour when David Hayter himself cleared all assumptions.
Hayter tweeted his confirmation that he won't be back in "Metal Gear Solid V." The post has apparently been deleted but CraveOnline managed to record what he said.
"Guys, for the millionth--and last--time. I am not in Metal Gear V," Hayter said on Twitter. "In any way. At all. No joke. Just not. True story."
Despite the confirmation fans are still wondering why the sudden change after all these years.
According to Gamespot, back in March 2013, Hideo Kojima explained that "Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain" is a new type of game and he wanted this reflected in the voice actor as well. That's why they have decided to choose a new actor and they've chosen "24: Live Another Day" lead star Kiefer Sutherland.
While others would believe Kojima's explanation, others are spreading rumours on the reason for the change, which according to CraveOnline, none of which have significant evidence.
Some said that Kojima wanted an AAA Hollywood star to give "Metal Gear Solid V" a more recognisable cast heading into the next generation of consoles. While others also said the game calls for a more experienced actor like Sutherland, because of the high quality motion capture that the game employs.
Another rumour suggested that Big Boss' descent into madness in "Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain" has too much negative connotation. Thus, David Hayter's heroic voice wouldn't fit right with the destruction.
With Kiefer Sutherland as the new voice for "Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain," the world of "Metal Gear" had forever been disrupted.
Below are some fans' reactions on Twitter regarding David Hayter's exit as the voice of Big Boss and Solid Snake.
“@DavidBHayter: Guys, For the millionth -- and last -- time. I am not in Metal Gear V. " Not going to be the same without you!
— Kevin Ragland (@KevinRaggle) June 23, 2014
@iMetalGearSolid thats some bullshit, he should still be doing the voice over — jon (@TheZooByMyself) June 24, 2014
— Jason3KB (@JayHooft) June 9, 2014
The only time I'll truly believe David hayter isn't in MGSV is when the game is released and has been picked apart for every line. — Ｚａｙｎｅ (@dedhedzed) June 23, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible
- ‘Destiny’ ‘The Dark Below’ DLC: XP Boosters, New Armours Revealed, Atheon Fixes
- 'Destiny' Third Subclass Weapon Upgrades: Super And Grenade Modifications Leaked [Video]
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar