Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Update: Solid Snake and Big Boss Confirmed Not Voiced By David Hayter
By Tanya Diente | June 26, 2014 9:38 AM EST
Ever since "Metal Gear Solid V" creator Hideo Kojima announced that David Hayter will no longer be the voice actor for Big Boss and Solid Snake, fans were in denial until Hayter himself confirmed the news.
Shoppers browse for video games near a poster advertising a FIFA soccer video game played on Sony Corp's PlayStation 4 console, at an electronics retail store in Tokyo June 10, 2014. Sony joined other sponsors on Sunday to call on soccer's rulers to deal thoroughly with allegations of bribery to secure the 2022 World Cup for Qatar, an issue overshadowing this week's kickoff in Brazil. With its four yearly showpiece event only four days away, soccer's governing body FIFA is on the defensive, conducting an internal investigation into the decisions to hold the 2018 World Cup in Russia and the 2022 Cup in Qatar. Both countries have denied any wrongdoing.
David Hayter has been the voice of Big Boss and Solid Snake ever since Metal Gear graced the PS1 franchise in 1998. When fans heard that Kiefer Sutherland is replacing Hayter as the voice actor, they wanted to believe the rumours that somehow Hayter would appear in a surprise appearance in the form of Solid Snake in "Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain."
However, CraveOnline reported that there's no basis for the rumour when David Hayter himself cleared all assumptions.
Hayter tweeted his confirmation that he won't be back in "Metal Gear Solid V." The post has apparently been deleted but CraveOnline managed to record what he said.
"Guys, for the millionth--and last--time. I am not in Metal Gear V," Hayter said on Twitter. "In any way. At all. No joke. Just not. True story."
Despite the confirmation fans are still wondering why the sudden change after all these years.
According to Gamespot, back in March 2013, Hideo Kojima explained that "Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain" is a new type of game and he wanted this reflected in the voice actor as well. That's why they have decided to choose a new actor and they've chosen "24: Live Another Day" lead star Kiefer Sutherland.
While others would believe Kojima's explanation, others are spreading rumours on the reason for the change, which according to CraveOnline, none of which have significant evidence.
Some said that Kojima wanted an AAA Hollywood star to give "Metal Gear Solid V" a more recognisable cast heading into the next generation of consoles. While others also said the game calls for a more experienced actor like Sutherland, because of the high quality motion capture that the game employs.
Another rumour suggested that Big Boss' descent into madness in "Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain" has too much negative connotation. Thus, David Hayter's heroic voice wouldn't fit right with the destruction.
With Kiefer Sutherland as the new voice for "Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain," the world of "Metal Gear" had forever been disrupted.
Below are some fans' reactions on Twitter regarding David Hayter's exit as the voice of Big Boss and Solid Snake.
“@DavidBHayter: Guys, For the millionth -- and last -- time. I am not in Metal Gear V. " Not going to be the same without you!
— Kevin Ragland (@KevinRaggle) June 23, 2014
@iMetalGearSolid thats some bullshit, he should still be doing the voice over — jon (@TheZooByMyself) June 24, 2014
— Jason3KB (@JayHooft) June 9, 2014
The only time I'll truly believe David hayter isn't in MGSV is when the game is released and has been picked apart for every line. — Ｚａｙｎｅ (@dedhedzed) June 23, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'Assassin's Creed' Update: 'Unity' And 'Rogue' Not A Multiplayer Player Game, Ubisoft Confirms
- HTC One Mini 2 vs. Nexus 5 Specs And Price Comparison In Australia
- ‘GTA 5 Online’ Weekend Event For San Andreas Flight School Update And A Deals With Gold Offer
- iPhone 5 vs. LG G3 Specs And Price Comparison In Australia
- Xbox One News: Possible 24-Hour Free Games, 5M Approved Units In China And Continuing Resolution Issues
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year