Boxing News: Maidana Spends 2 Weeks Vacation in Dominican Republic, Hopes for a September Rematch With Mayweather
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 26, 2014 9:24 AM EST
It was not just American boxer Floyd Mayweather who was enjoying the fruits of his labour in the ring, but also Money May's last opponent. According to Boxingscene, Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana also had some R&R for 2 weeks in Punta Cana, the Dominican Republic.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. (L) of the U.S. and Marcos Maidana of Argentina hold a media conference following their WBC/WBA welterweight unification fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
The Web site quoted Sebastian Contursi, the spokesman of Maidana, as saying that he will talk this week to Al Haymon, the adviser of Mayweather, to find out if Money May would keep his word and give Maidana a rematch. The May 3 bout of the two boxers is considered by many boxing fans as not a convincing victory for Mayweather - who even sustained a cut in the eye - which explains the popular clamour for a rematch.
However, a report on Monday said that Mayweather has limited his choice of his next opponent to British boxer Amir Khan and American boxer Miguel Cotto, leaving out Filipino champion Manny Pacquiao because of the latter's contract with Top Rank Promotions of Bob Arum.
But if the matter were up to Floyd Mayweather Sr, he would rather not have his son meet Maidana in a rematch because he considers the Argentinean pugilist a dirty fighter who hit Money May below the belt and head-butted his opponent in their last bout. There was also an issue over the glove that Maidana was using.
Boxingnews24 said that Mayweather can't afford to repeat his mistake in the May bout in which he took too long to select his opponent, which explains the lower-than-expected result or less than 1 million pay-per-view buys.
"We're waiting for news. Maidana wants the rematch with Mayweather, but all of a sudden Pacquiao's name was thrown in ... Hopefully, next week we'll have something already written," Contursi said.
Read also :
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People