Boxing News: Maidana Spends 2 Weeks Vacation in Dominican Republic, Hopes for a September Rematch With Mayweather
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 26, 2014 9:24 AM EST
It was not just American boxer Floyd Mayweather who was enjoying the fruits of his labour in the ring, but also Money May's last opponent. According to Boxingscene, Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana also had some R&R for 2 weeks in Punta Cana, the Dominican Republic.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. (L) of the U.S. and Marcos Maidana of Argentina hold a media conference following their WBC/WBA welterweight unification fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
The Web site quoted Sebastian Contursi, the spokesman of Maidana, as saying that he will talk this week to Al Haymon, the adviser of Mayweather, to find out if Money May would keep his word and give Maidana a rematch. The May 3 bout of the two boxers is considered by many boxing fans as not a convincing victory for Mayweather - who even sustained a cut in the eye - which explains the popular clamour for a rematch.
However, a report on Monday said that Mayweather has limited his choice of his next opponent to British boxer Amir Khan and American boxer Miguel Cotto, leaving out Filipino champion Manny Pacquiao because of the latter's contract with Top Rank Promotions of Bob Arum.
But if the matter were up to Floyd Mayweather Sr, he would rather not have his son meet Maidana in a rematch because he considers the Argentinean pugilist a dirty fighter who hit Money May below the belt and head-butted his opponent in their last bout. There was also an issue over the glove that Maidana was using.
Boxingnews24 said that Mayweather can't afford to repeat his mistake in the May bout in which he took too long to select his opponent, which explains the lower-than-expected result or less than 1 million pay-per-view buys.
"We're waiting for news. Maidana wants the rematch with Mayweather, but all of a sudden Pacquiao's name was thrown in ... Hopefully, next week we'll have something already written," Contursi said.
Read also :
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon