Boxing News: Maidana Spends 2 Weeks Vacation in Dominican Republic, Hopes for a September Rematch With Mayweather
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 26, 2014 9:24 AM EST
It was not just American boxer Floyd Mayweather who was enjoying the fruits of his labour in the ring, but also Money May's last opponent. According to Boxingscene, Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana also had some R&R for 2 weeks in Punta Cana, the Dominican Republic.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. (L) of the U.S. and Marcos Maidana of Argentina hold a media conference following their WBC/WBA welterweight unification fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
The Web site quoted Sebastian Contursi, the spokesman of Maidana, as saying that he will talk this week to Al Haymon, the adviser of Mayweather, to find out if Money May would keep his word and give Maidana a rematch. The May 3 bout of the two boxers is considered by many boxing fans as not a convincing victory for Mayweather - who even sustained a cut in the eye - which explains the popular clamour for a rematch.
However, a report on Monday said that Mayweather has limited his choice of his next opponent to British boxer Amir Khan and American boxer Miguel Cotto, leaving out Filipino champion Manny Pacquiao because of the latter's contract with Top Rank Promotions of Bob Arum.
But if the matter were up to Floyd Mayweather Sr, he would rather not have his son meet Maidana in a rematch because he considers the Argentinean pugilist a dirty fighter who hit Money May below the belt and head-butted his opponent in their last bout. There was also an issue over the glove that Maidana was using.
Boxingnews24 said that Mayweather can't afford to repeat his mistake in the May bout in which he took too long to select his opponent, which explains the lower-than-expected result or less than 1 million pay-per-view buys.
"We're waiting for news. Maidana wants the rematch with Mayweather, but all of a sudden Pacquiao's name was thrown in ... Hopefully, next week we'll have something already written," Contursi said.
Read also :
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around