Doctor Strange Casting Update: Edgar Ramirez 'Talking' With Scott Derrickson
By Tanya Diente | June 26, 2014 9:22 AM EST
Edgar Ramirez is reportedly in talks to star in "Doctor Strange," after he claimed that he and director Scott Derrickson have talked about the movie. This makes him one of the rumoured cast list for the movie along with Jared Leto, Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Hardy.
In an interview with IGN about his new supernatural thriller "Deliver Us From Evil" directed by Scott Derrickson, Edgar Ramirez revealed he and Derrickson had discussed the upcoming movie adaptation of Marvel's "Doctor Strange."
"We're talking. We've been talking," he said. His statement is obviously different from negotiating with the studio, but promising nonetheless.
However, the Venezuelan actor didn't specify which role he is to take part in the movie. He is either going to play Doctor Strange, the nemesis Baron Mordo or another role. It may still be too early to tell since the film is still in its early stages, considering it doesn't even have a release date yet.
"Doctor Strange" certainly piqued the interest of Scott Derrickson who according to cinemablend, is a true Marvel believer. The director has expressed his interest in the character and that universe. He even admitted that Doctor Stephen Strange is his favorite comic book character, at least in the Marvel universe.
"He's probably the only comic character in that mainstream world that I'm suited to. I feel such an affinity for the character and the story and the ambition of those comics, especially the original Stan Lee and Steve Ditko Strange Tales - I think those are my favorite of all of them. The entire history of the comics is extraordinary," he said.
"Doctor Strange" may not be a mainstream character of the Marvel Universe, but he is an important character nevertheless, according to Kevin Feige.
Totalfilm reported that Feige spoke about "Doctor Strange" in a recent CineEurope convention in Barcelona.
"So Strange is very, very important, not just because it's an amazing character study, and a journey of a man who's gone from this very arrogant surgeon to somebody who is quite zen and literally keeps all of reality together on a daily basis, but it also is going to open up a whole other side of storytelling for our movies," he said.
Feige believes that "Doctor Strange" is the entry into the supernatural side of the Marvel Universe which has dozens of characters and storylines all of its own.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate