Doctor Strange Casting Update: Edgar Ramirez 'Talking' With Scott Derrickson
By Tanya Diente | June 26, 2014 9:22 AM EST
Edgar Ramirez is reportedly in talks to star in "Doctor Strange," after he claimed that he and director Scott Derrickson have talked about the movie. This makes him one of the rumoured cast list for the movie along with Jared Leto, Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Hardy.
In an interview with IGN about his new supernatural thriller "Deliver Us From Evil" directed by Scott Derrickson, Edgar Ramirez revealed he and Derrickson had discussed the upcoming movie adaptation of Marvel's "Doctor Strange."
"We're talking. We've been talking," he said. His statement is obviously different from negotiating with the studio, but promising nonetheless.
However, the Venezuelan actor didn't specify which role he is to take part in the movie. He is either going to play Doctor Strange, the nemesis Baron Mordo or another role. It may still be too early to tell since the film is still in its early stages, considering it doesn't even have a release date yet.
"Doctor Strange" certainly piqued the interest of Scott Derrickson who according to cinemablend, is a true Marvel believer. The director has expressed his interest in the character and that universe. He even admitted that Doctor Stephen Strange is his favorite comic book character, at least in the Marvel universe.
"He's probably the only comic character in that mainstream world that I'm suited to. I feel such an affinity for the character and the story and the ambition of those comics, especially the original Stan Lee and Steve Ditko Strange Tales - I think those are my favorite of all of them. The entire history of the comics is extraordinary," he said.
"Doctor Strange" may not be a mainstream character of the Marvel Universe, but he is an important character nevertheless, according to Kevin Feige.
Totalfilm reported that Feige spoke about "Doctor Strange" in a recent CineEurope convention in Barcelona.
"So Strange is very, very important, not just because it's an amazing character study, and a journey of a man who's gone from this very arrogant surgeon to somebody who is quite zen and literally keeps all of reality together on a daily basis, but it also is going to open up a whole other side of storytelling for our movies," he said.
Feige believes that "Doctor Strange" is the entry into the supernatural side of the Marvel Universe which has dozens of characters and storylines all of its own.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’ First Photo Of Lex Luthor Leaked, Jesse Eisenberg On Villain’s Role And Plot Details Revealed
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones