Doctor Strange Casting Update: Edgar Ramirez 'Talking' With Scott Derrickson
By Tanya Diente | June 26, 2014 9:22 AM EST
Edgar Ramirez is reportedly in talks to star in "Doctor Strange," after he claimed that he and director Scott Derrickson have talked about the movie. This makes him one of the rumoured cast list for the movie along with Jared Leto, Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Hardy.
In an interview with IGN about his new supernatural thriller "Deliver Us From Evil" directed by Scott Derrickson, Edgar Ramirez revealed he and Derrickson had discussed the upcoming movie adaptation of Marvel's "Doctor Strange."
"We're talking. We've been talking," he said. His statement is obviously different from negotiating with the studio, but promising nonetheless.
However, the Venezuelan actor didn't specify which role he is to take part in the movie. He is either going to play Doctor Strange, the nemesis Baron Mordo or another role. It may still be too early to tell since the film is still in its early stages, considering it doesn't even have a release date yet.
"Doctor Strange" certainly piqued the interest of Scott Derrickson who according to cinemablend, is a true Marvel believer. The director has expressed his interest in the character and that universe. He even admitted that Doctor Stephen Strange is his favorite comic book character, at least in the Marvel universe.
"He's probably the only comic character in that mainstream world that I'm suited to. I feel such an affinity for the character and the story and the ambition of those comics, especially the original Stan Lee and Steve Ditko Strange Tales - I think those are my favorite of all of them. The entire history of the comics is extraordinary," he said.
"Doctor Strange" may not be a mainstream character of the Marvel Universe, but he is an important character nevertheless, according to Kevin Feige.
Totalfilm reported that Feige spoke about "Doctor Strange" in a recent CineEurope convention in Barcelona.
"So Strange is very, very important, not just because it's an amazing character study, and a journey of a man who's gone from this very arrogant surgeon to somebody who is quite zen and literally keeps all of reality together on a daily basis, but it also is going to open up a whole other side of storytelling for our movies," he said.
Feige believes that "Doctor Strange" is the entry into the supernatural side of the Marvel Universe which has dozens of characters and storylines all of its own.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination