iPhone 6 Release Confirmed as Apple Prepares Mass Sapphire Production for 5.5-inch and Corning-Sapphire Mix for 4.7-inch
By Precious Silva | June 26, 2014 9:21 AM EST
Fortunately for those who worry constantly about damaging the display of their iPhones, a super tough iPhone 6 display featuring scratch-free sapphire is well on its way as production starts. According to supply chain sources, Apple has been gearing up for the release super-touch and scratch-resistant displays for the two variants of the iPhone 6. However, the company's focus may be on the larger iPhone as source also claimed that the company may use a mix of sapphire and Corning Gorilla Glass for the 4.7 inch.
A woman holds her new Apple iPhone 5S after buying it at an Apple Store at Tokyo's Ginza shopping district September 20, 2013. REUTERS/Toru Hanai
According to a report by Investors' Business Daily, Cowen analyst Timothy Arcuri said in his note that supply chain sources in Asia hinted that Apple will be producing sapphire-based iPhone 6 but not all variants. The 5.5-inch version will feature sapphire displays while the 4.7-inch version will feature a combination of Corning Gorilla Glass and sapphire according to the company's deal with GT Advanced Technologies. According to the analyst, at least one if not both of the iPhone variants will sport sapphire screens.
The pricing for iPhone 6 remains a mystery although many analysts believe Apple will offer a $100 premium on the larger variant because of additional cost of production and new user experience. Similar to Ming-Chi Kuo's prediction, Arcuri also sets the release date of the iPhone 6 to September.
In support of Arcuri's predictions, Foxconn has also reportedly started mass hiring people requiring around 100,000 new employees to ramp up iPhone 6 production. The company has specifically started hiring 100,000 people in China for the production. According to Bloomberg, Apple will start production in July. The sources refused to publish their identities because the plans divulged are deemed private.
Sonny Dickson has also uploaded photos of the iPhone 6 featuring its display components. The device feature in the photos supports claims of Apple's 5.5-inch variant. More importantly, the leaked photos suggest Apple may go for an LCD display although the company has not confirmed anything.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'