Michael Bay on Transformers: Age of Extinction: ''I Don't Think I'm Going to Make It'
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | June 26, 2014 9:02 AM EST
While Transformers fans are eagerly waiting for the "Transformers: Age of Extinction" to hit the silver screen, its director Michael Bay revealed that the much-anticipated trilogy almost did not materialise at all.
U.S. director Michael Bay takes pictures with his camera on the red carpet as he arrives for the world premiere of the film "Transformers: Age of Extinction" in Hong Kong June 19, 2014.
"I don't think I'm going to make it. It was tough," Director Bay revealed at MTV during the Transformers premiere in Hong Kong.
The film's fourth time director stated that he nearly passed on the project. After the third installment of the Transformers series, he worked with a much smaller film "Pain and Gain" which also starred Mark Wahlberg, the lead star for "Transformers: Age of Extinction." The director deliberately moved away from the world of Optimus Prime but the "Pain and Gain" film turned out to lead him right back to the robots in disguise.
With Mark Wahlberg explicitly expressing his desire to work on a Transformers movie with the director, Bay pondered on and realised that it made sense to return to the Transformers set for at least one more film.
"I figured that some director is going to have to come in and redesign the entire franchise, recast it, and it would be a nightmare for someone who doesn't know it like the back of their hand. That's so much work. Two years to redesign every character and come up with new characters, a brand new cast... it's daunting," director Bay stated.
And a daunting process indeed to come up with "Transformers: Age of Extinction." The director stated that the production team barely made it to the release date. The task proved to be even more daunting when at the eleventh hour Chinese firm Beijing Pangu Investment has pulled out the sponsorship contract with Paramount Pictures on grounds of breach of contract.
The investment company which provided the financial resources for the movie production filed a lawsuit in court pertaining to the breach of contract, damage to reputation and financial loss. It accused Paramount Pictures for failing to give full value of their buildings in the much-awaited "Transformers: Age of Extinction" film. Pangu then requested to the Chinese authorities for the postponement of the movie release in China.
To show the Chinese sponsors how willing they are to go the distance just to keep their partnership, Paramount Pictures sprang into action in a whirlwind of activity. LA Times mentioned that that the giant replica of the Bumblebee Transformer was relocated from another part of Beijing to the entrance of Pangu Plaza Hotel, the investment company's flagship building. Then Paramount Vice-Chairman Rob Moore, director Michael Bay, producer Lorenzo Di Bonaventura, and star Jack Reynor were jetted from Shanghai to Beijing for the celebration prior to the China premiere.
"Transformers: Age of Extinction" will be out in cinemas on Friday, June 27, 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Fast & Furious 7': New Brian O' Connor And Dominic Toretto Scene Surfaces
- Mariah Carey-Nick Cannon Divorce: Mariah Claims Infidelity, Nick's Affair With Amber Rose To Blame -- Report
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- Taylor Swift And Harry Styles Spotted Together Enjoying A Concert; Songstress ‘Still Not Over’ 1D Singer—Reports
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics