iOS 8 and iPhone 6 Guide: Upgrading to the Next iOS and How to Resell for the Best Price
By Ryan Inoyori | June 26, 2014 8:38 AM EST
Apple's iOS 8 and the next generation iPhone 6 are coming out soon and by now you should starting preparing yourself for the upgrade. Here are some useful tips to prevent data loss and recycle your old iPhone to get the best price.
Compatibility with iOS 8
In case you are going to update other Apple devices, you need to determine first if they are compatible to run iOS 8. As of date, here are the devices compatible for update with iOS 8:
- iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C
- iPod Touch fifth generation
Older models not listed above are not compatible with iOS 8 and you should purchase any models found on the list.
Backup Your Files
Before updating to iOS 8, perform a backup of all data files stored on your devices using any of the two methods.
1. You can use the iCloud backup service using a wireless connection than tethering to save bookmarks, contacts, calendar details, documents from iOS apps and Mac apps, mail messages, notes and shared photo streams. You can use this process to restore data anywhere using broadband Wi-Fi connection.
2. You can iTunes as an alternative to iCloud or if you don't have an iCloud account. It requires your computer, the compatible cable and the device. You may activate Manually Backup and Restore function inside the iTunes program.
Freeing Up Memory
Check the list of apps installed on your device then remove those you don't need any longer. Moreover, make space for the new OS version by deleting unnecessary images and videos stored on the device.
Keeping System Settings
An OS update may remove your personalised settings and even put all changes back to default. It is advisable to take notes of all personalised settings you've configured on your device such as location services.
Prepare Your iTunes
Make sure that the installed iTunes program is updated. It may feature certain iOS 8 compatible apps made by developers which can be added to your device later on.
Recycling Your Old Device
Figuring out the proper ways to sell your old device before the new models are released will give you the best price possible.
1. Backup your device.
2. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Contents and Settings.
3. Contact your carrier for guidance on transferring service to the new owner.
Do not manually delete iCloud data on your account or the content will also be deleted from the servers.
In case you no longer have your iOS device, perform these steps:
1. Ask the new owner to erase all content and settings similar to the steps above.
2. You can use the iCloud or Find My iPhone on the device to erase it remotely. Remove it by signing in to your account - icloud.com/find - then select the device and click Erase. When the device has been erased, click Remove from Account.
3. If you are unable to complete steps 1 and 2, change your Apple ID password. The change will not remove any personal information but will make sure that the new owner can't delete your iCloud information.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Windows Phone 8.1, Nokia Lumia Cyan Update: All Supported Devices In Various Regions As Of August
- 'No Man's Sky' For PlayStation 4: The Sun Will Burn Out But The Game Will Go On (Watch Trailer)
- Sony Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide For Xperia Z Devices As Of August 2014
- Sony Xperia M2 Aqua Buyer's Guide: Reasons Why Upgrade From Xperia V Or Xperia ZR
- ‘GTA 5 Online’ 1.17 Update May Feature Hydra and Army DLC As New Verified Jobs Emerge
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko