iOS 8 and iPhone 6 Guide: Upgrading to the Next iOS and How to Resell for the Best Price
By Ryan Inoyori | June 26, 2014 8:38 AM EST
Apple's iOS 8 and the next generation iPhone 6 are coming out soon and by now you should starting preparing yourself for the upgrade. Here are some useful tips to prevent data loss and recycle your old iPhone to get the best price.
Compatibility with iOS 8
In case you are going to update other Apple devices, you need to determine first if they are compatible to run iOS 8. As of date, here are the devices compatible for update with iOS 8:
- iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C
- iPod Touch fifth generation
Older models not listed above are not compatible with iOS 8 and you should purchase any models found on the list.
Backup Your Files
Before updating to iOS 8, perform a backup of all data files stored on your devices using any of the two methods.
1. You can use the iCloud backup service using a wireless connection than tethering to save bookmarks, contacts, calendar details, documents from iOS apps and Mac apps, mail messages, notes and shared photo streams. You can use this process to restore data anywhere using broadband Wi-Fi connection.
2. You can iTunes as an alternative to iCloud or if you don't have an iCloud account. It requires your computer, the compatible cable and the device. You may activate Manually Backup and Restore function inside the iTunes program.
Freeing Up Memory
Check the list of apps installed on your device then remove those you don't need any longer. Moreover, make space for the new OS version by deleting unnecessary images and videos stored on the device.
Keeping System Settings
An OS update may remove your personalised settings and even put all changes back to default. It is advisable to take notes of all personalised settings you've configured on your device such as location services.
Prepare Your iTunes
Make sure that the installed iTunes program is updated. It may feature certain iOS 8 compatible apps made by developers which can be added to your device later on.
Recycling Your Old Device
Figuring out the proper ways to sell your old device before the new models are released will give you the best price possible.
1. Backup your device.
2. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Contents and Settings.
3. Contact your carrier for guidance on transferring service to the new owner.
Do not manually delete iCloud data on your account or the content will also be deleted from the servers.
In case you no longer have your iOS device, perform these steps:
1. Ask the new owner to erase all content and settings similar to the steps above.
2. You can use the iCloud or Find My iPhone on the device to erase it remotely. Remove it by signing in to your account - icloud.com/find - then select the device and click Erase. When the device has been erased, click Remove from Account.
3. If you are unable to complete steps 1 and 2, change your Apple ID password. The change will not remove any personal information but will make sure that the new owner can't delete your iCloud information.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Facebook To Charge Users Of $2.99 Monthly Fee On November 1; Best Free Alternatives For Facebook
- 'World Of Warcraft Warlords Of Draenor' Spoilers: 'WoD' In-Game Cinematics Revealed, Plus There's A Brewfest For The Horde And Alliance Players [WATCH VIDEOS]
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition' What Players Can Expect Before November 18 Release Date
- Microsoft Promises A Better ‘Minecraft,’ Game To Come to Windows Phone
- The Pirate Bay Operations: 21 Virtual Machines Are Used To Run The File-sharing Website
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia