From London at the Wimbledon Championships 2014, Serena Williams Shows Support for Team USA in World Cup in Brazil
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 26, 2014 12:33 AM EST
All the way from London and in the heat of her own battles at the 2014 Wimbledon Championships, American Serena Williams is showing her support for Team USA in the 2014 World Cup and her love for another sport—soccer.
Serena Williams of the U.S. pumps her fist during her women's singles tennis match against Anna Tatishvili of the U.S. at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014.
“Yeah, you know, we were so close to getting that win. I was really sad. We could have been in first place, which really would have been awesome,” said Williams referring to the Portugal-USA match that ended badly for the latter which settled for a 2-2 draw after giving up a very late goal.
“Could have, should have, would have, doesn't matter. We're still tied for first technically. We're still trying to go on. I think US soccer is coming a long way. I love watching the US men soccer players play. I'm supporting the whole way,” continued Williams in article in The Voice.
The United States needs at least a draw with Germany to advance to the next round while Williams is fresh off her first round victory over compatriot Anna Tatishvili in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2. In the second round, Williams will take on South African Chanelle Scheepers who beat American Christina McHale in her own opening match.
As early as 2004, Williams’ passion for soccer was already reported.
"It's weird. I've become an amazing English fan," said Williams in a People.com article referring to a Croatia-England game in that year’s European Championships. "When England was down 1-Love and they made the goal, I was like, 'Whoa!'"
Ten years later, Williams is now rooting for his own country in the biggest stage in soccer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones