From London at the Wimbledon Championships 2014, Serena Williams Shows Support for Team USA in World Cup in Brazil
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 26, 2014 12:33 AM EST
All the way from London and in the heat of her own battles at the 2014 Wimbledon Championships, American Serena Williams is showing her support for Team USA in the 2014 World Cup and her love for another sport—soccer.
Serena Williams of the U.S. pumps her fist during her women's singles tennis match against Anna Tatishvili of the U.S. at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014.
“Yeah, you know, we were so close to getting that win. I was really sad. We could have been in first place, which really would have been awesome,” said Williams referring to the Portugal-USA match that ended badly for the latter which settled for a 2-2 draw after giving up a very late goal.
“Could have, should have, would have, doesn't matter. We're still tied for first technically. We're still trying to go on. I think US soccer is coming a long way. I love watching the US men soccer players play. I'm supporting the whole way,” continued Williams in article in The Voice.
The United States needs at least a draw with Germany to advance to the next round while Williams is fresh off her first round victory over compatriot Anna Tatishvili in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2. In the second round, Williams will take on South African Chanelle Scheepers who beat American Christina McHale in her own opening match.
As early as 2004, Williams’ passion for soccer was already reported.
"It's weird. I've become an amazing English fan," said Williams in a People.com article referring to a Croatia-England game in that year’s European Championships. "When England was down 1-Love and they made the goal, I was like, 'Whoa!'"
Ten years later, Williams is now rooting for his own country in the biggest stage in soccer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions