From London at the Wimbledon Championships 2014, Serena Williams Shows Support for Team USA in World Cup in Brazil
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 26, 2014 12:33 AM EST
All the way from London and in the heat of her own battles at the 2014 Wimbledon Championships, American Serena Williams is showing her support for Team USA in the 2014 World Cup and her love for another sport—soccer.
Serena Williams of the U.S. pumps her fist during her women's singles tennis match against Anna Tatishvili of the U.S. at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014.
“Yeah, you know, we were so close to getting that win. I was really sad. We could have been in first place, which really would have been awesome,” said Williams referring to the Portugal-USA match that ended badly for the latter which settled for a 2-2 draw after giving up a very late goal.
“Could have, should have, would have, doesn't matter. We're still tied for first technically. We're still trying to go on. I think US soccer is coming a long way. I love watching the US men soccer players play. I'm supporting the whole way,” continued Williams in article in The Voice.
The United States needs at least a draw with Germany to advance to the next round while Williams is fresh off her first round victory over compatriot Anna Tatishvili in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2. In the second round, Williams will take on South African Chanelle Scheepers who beat American Christina McHale in her own opening match.
As early as 2004, Williams’ passion for soccer was already reported.
"It's weird. I've become an amazing English fan," said Williams in a People.com article referring to a Croatia-England game in that year’s European Championships. "When England was down 1-Love and they made the goal, I was like, 'Whoa!'"
Ten years later, Williams is now rooting for his own country in the biggest stage in soccer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Women’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 - Li Na, Sharapova, Kvitova, And Williams
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR - Preview and Live Streaming Link
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Mayweather To Add $32 Million To Wealth Regardless Of Result Of Maidana Rematch
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- US Government Threatened Yahoo to Provide User Data: If not Pay a Fine of $250,000 per day
- Optus Successfully Launches Optus 10 Satellite That Will Improve TV, Internet, Phone & Data Transmission In Australia
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Moto X Pure Edition is Coming Soon with Wi-Fi Calling – Reports
- 7 Reasons Why Atlassian Topped BRW’s Best Place To Work In Australia 2014 List