Viral Video: Queen Elizabeth Visits 'Game of Thrones' Set in Belfast
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | June 25, 2014 11:50 PM EST
Queen Elizabeth has met face-to-face the fantasy royal family at the "Game of Thrones" set in Belfast, Northern Ireland. Her visit was captured in a video and uploaded on YouTube.
Britain's Queen Elizabeth looks at the Iron Throne as she meets members of the cast on the set of the television series Game of Thrones in the Titanic Quarter of Belfast, Northern Ireland, June 24, 2014.
Within a day, the video already generated over 62,000 views and still counting. The 1.02-minute long video showed the Queen and her husband, the Duke of Edinburgh, guided by the "Game of Thrones" show runner David Benioff and writer and producer, Daniel Weiss, around the Paint Hall Studio and the Titanic Quarter.
The 88-year-old monarch met the set designers and makers of the show's props and costumes. She also came in contact with the "Game of Thrones" actors Kit Harrington, who played the role of Jon Snow, Maisie Williams, who played the role of Arya Stark, Conleth Hill, who played the role of Lord Varys, and Sophie Tuner, who played the role of Sansa Stark.
The Queen was also guided through the armory where the various swords were kept and the costume designs and storage used in the HBO show. She was also shown through the expansive set used to shoot for the production interior scenes and dangerous ice-cliff climbs.
At one point in the video, Queen Elizabeth was also seen looking at the Iron Throne, which was supposedly full of counterfeit swords of defeated warriors. But unlike other visitors to the "Game of Thrones" set, the queen chose not to sit on the Iron Throne. Instead, she was presented with a miniature version of the famous seat as a keepsake.
According to Associated Press, Queen Elizabeth's tour at the "Game of Thrones" set was one of the seven events scheduled on the second day of her three-day visit to Northern Ireland. UK's ceremonial head of state now travel with greater openness after two decades of relative peace in the region.
The queen complimented the leaders of the Irish Catholics and the British Protestants who have previously been rivals for initiating the a government unity in 2007.
"We have learned a lot in those years about ourselves, each other, and how societies can only grow and flourish if they are built on trust, respect, justice and interdependence," Queen Elizabeth said.
Meanwhile, HBO's "Game of Thrones," which was known for its violent scenes and frequent nudity had been filmed in Northern Ireland since 2009 and has largely contributed to the country's economy for the last half decade. The set had created thousands of jobs for the local residents and have forge tourism in the region.
The critically-acclaimed fantasy drama, "Game of Thrones," already concluded the fourth season while the fifth and sixth seasons are on its way.
Watch Queen Elizabeth's Visit to the "Game of Thrones" set in Belfast from YouTube.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen