2014 NBA Draft News: Orlando Magic Offering Arron Afflalo, No. 4 and No. 12 Picks for Cleveland Cavaliers’ No. 1 Overall
By James Patrick Quizon | June 25, 2014 9:38 PM EST
The Cleveland Cavaliers are being offered various packages for the overall No. 1 pick in the 2014 NBA Draft set this Thursday. One such offer—from the Orlando Magic—has apparently grabbed their attention.
NBA: Cleveland Cavaliers at New York Knicks
“The Cavs do have some interest in the Magic's offer of Arron Afflalo, the No. 4 pick and the No. 12 pick,” according to a source by Jeff Goodman and Chad Ford of ESPN.COM.
Other offers for the top pick in the draft include the Philadelphia 76ers’ Thaddeus Young plus the No. 3 pick and the Utah Jazz’s Derrick Favors and the No. 5 pick.
Part of the Cavs interest of the Magic offer is drawn from the fact that they want to “win-now” as opposed to restarting a total rebuilding process with young guys.
Bringing in a veteran like Afflalo, a two-way player that can be efficient on both ends of the floor will complete a potent backcourt with star point guard Kyrie Irving. The move can also attract free agents—namely big names like LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony— and convince them that indeed the Cavaliers are serious in being contenders for the 2014-2015 NBA season and beyond.
James and Anthony are expected to opt out of their current contracts with the Miami Heat and New York Knicks, respectively and officially become free agents by July 1.
The Cavaliers also have cap space to work with in this offseason with only $32.04 million committed to seven players. This does not include team options on Anderson Varejao ($9.80M) and Alonso Gee ($3.25M) while Luol Deng will also hit free agency.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports