2014 NBA Draft News: Orlando Magic Offering Arron Afflalo, No. 4 and No. 12 Picks for Cleveland Cavaliers’ No. 1 Overall
By James Patrick Quizon | June 25, 2014 9:38 PM EST
The Cleveland Cavaliers are being offered various packages for the overall No. 1 pick in the 2014 NBA Draft set this Thursday. One such offer—from the Orlando Magic—has apparently grabbed their attention.
NBA: Cleveland Cavaliers at New York Knicks
“The Cavs do have some interest in the Magic's offer of Arron Afflalo, the No. 4 pick and the No. 12 pick,” according to a source by Jeff Goodman and Chad Ford of ESPN.COM.
Other offers for the top pick in the draft include the Philadelphia 76ers’ Thaddeus Young plus the No. 3 pick and the Utah Jazz’s Derrick Favors and the No. 5 pick.
Part of the Cavs interest of the Magic offer is drawn from the fact that they want to “win-now” as opposed to restarting a total rebuilding process with young guys.
Bringing in a veteran like Afflalo, a two-way player that can be efficient on both ends of the floor will complete a potent backcourt with star point guard Kyrie Irving. The move can also attract free agents—namely big names like LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony— and convince them that indeed the Cavaliers are serious in being contenders for the 2014-2015 NBA season and beyond.
James and Anthony are expected to opt out of their current contracts with the Miami Heat and New York Knicks, respectively and officially become free agents by July 1.
The Cavaliers also have cap space to work with in this offseason with only $32.04 million committed to seven players. This does not include team options on Anderson Varejao ($9.80M) and Alonso Gee ($3.25M) while Luol Deng will also hit free agency.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air