Massive Earthquakes in New Zealand and Alaska May be 'Connected'
By Reissa Su | June 25, 2014 7:02 PM EST
A scientist working with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) said the massive quakes that struck Alaska and the New Zealand coast may have a connection. According to David Oppenheimer, there are several times in a year that earthquakes can strike within minutes of each other.
People stand on a street after evacuating a building following an earthquake in Mexico City April 18, 2014. REUTERS/Bernardo Montoya
On June 23, a magnitude 6.9 earthquake occurred off the New Zealand coast a few minutes after noon at Pacific Time. Meanwhile, a magnitude 7.9 quake struck the coast off Aleutian Islands before 2 pm Pacific Time.
The 6.9 earthquake hit near Raoul Island, a remote area in the Kermadec Islands chain of New Zealand. The epicenter is approximately 800 to 1,000 kilometers northeast of New Zealand's North Island. The initial earthquake was followed by another jolt with a 6.3 magnitude. Another quake struck 45 minutes later with a 6.2 magnitude.No damage was reported by New Zealand authorities.
In a CBS report, Oppenheimer suggested it was possible that the quake in New Zealand caused the Alaska earthquake. He said the timing can be attributed to surface waves. He explained these were the waves that travel around the circumference of the earth and arrived at about the time the earthquake struck Alaska.
But Oppenheimer said more studies are needed to validate his theory. He also said the earthquake in Alaska was bound to happen if the quake in New Zealand did not happen. Reports said the Aleutian Islands are prone to seismic activity. Historical records revealed that magnitude 7.7 or higher earthquakes have occurred at least five times since 1906 within 250 miles from the epicenter of the June 23 earthquake.
The possibility of a magnitude 9 earthquake happening in the Pacific Ocean is being studied as GNS Science will begin placing seismometers or quake warning devices on New Zealand's most threatening faults. The new earthquake devices were installed under the ocean on the Hikurangi Subduction Zone. According to GNS Science, seismologists believe the area starting 25 kilometres east of Gisborne is where the Pacific tectonic plate is forced to move below the Australian plate. The activity could be capable of causing a massive magnitude 9 earthquake similar to the one that struck Japan in 2011.
Dr Bill Fry, a GNS seismologist, said a powerful earthquake in GIsborne would be felt by much of New Zealand, including Wellington. A magnitude 9 earthquake would cause a tsunami that would reach most of the country.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Ice Bucket Challenge Toddler Scarlett-Rose Davis Who Uses F-Word Apologises - Watch Original Video
- Papua New Guinea’s Mount Tavurvur Erupts, Qantas Reroutes Flights
- Tiny Beads Found In Shampoo And Exfoliants Are A Threat to the Sydney Harbour
- Underground Eruption of A Volcano Noticed As Powerful Earthquakes Rock Iceland
- New Nail Polish Changes Colour When Exposed to Date-Rape Drugs: Helps Women Safety
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0