5 Reasons Sia Furler Deserves Second APRA Songwriter of the Year Award
June 25, 2014 6:09 PM EST
Sia Furler has recently won her second Songwriter of the Year Award at the Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA) Awards in Brisbane.
Singer Sia performs at the Democratic National Committee's (DNC) annual Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) gala in New York June 17, 2014. U.S. President Barack Obama spoke after Sia performed.
APRA is a group consisting of talented publishers and songwriters who gather to recognize and train talent in the industry. Furler is better known as "Sia" and is the genius behind some of the biggest hits in the music industry, most notably the song "Titanium" with David Guetta. She also won Songwriter of the Year in 2013.
Here's why she absolutely deserves a second recognition:
1. She wrote songs for famous celebrities.
Part of the list of people whom Sia wrote songs were for Beyonce Knowles, Jennifer Lopez, Katy Perry, Kylie Minogue and Rihanna. Other artists that she worked with in the past included Celine Dion, Britney Spears, Flo Rida, David Guetta, Eminem, Christina Aguilera, Shakira and Leona Lewis. Sia is half of the reason why these big female stars won awards.
2. She encompasses different music genres.
Sia is very versatile when it comes to songwriting and does not limit herself to one genre. She has written pop, jazz, downtempo and disco songs, and collaborated with rappers, classical performers and tech artists.
3. She also sings very well.
Sia has a single, "Taken for Granted," which was a top 10 hit in the UK. She areleased an album in 2008 titled, "Some People Have Real Problems," which reached the low 50s in the Billboard 200--but in the list, still.
4. She is into causes that matter.
Furler is a vegetarian and an avid supporter of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). She also joined other celebrities to support "Oscar's Law" campaign. She is also bisexual and was nominated as one of the 25 most influential bisexuals in Australia.
5. Her family is also musically inclined.
Sia's parents, Phil Colson and Loene Furler, were members of The Soda Jerx, a rockabilly band. Her father is a composer and band leader while her mother is a musician and songwriter. She is indeed a woman of many talents having the right background to deserve her second APRA Award in a row. How dorable she really looks.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage