5 Takeaways From Lions Stalwart Jonathan Brown Retirement
June 25, 2014 5:42 PM EST
Jonathan Brown, an Australian football superstar, has announced his retirement from the Australian Football League after his third blow to the head during a recent game against Greater Western Sydney.
Fans of the Brisbane Lions Legend were saddened by this news. According to the 32-year-old Brown, all is well. He has had a pretty good run throughout his career, which has spanned 256 games and quite a feat for someone of his age.
Here are five takeaways from Brown's retirement. This will remind us that while his time on AFL was short, it was very meaningful:
1. He was Pick 30 in the 1999 AFL National Draft.
Brown was drafted by the Lions under the father-son rule, which allows clubs to recruit sons of players who had made significant contributions to the league in the past. Jonathan is the son of Brian Brown, a former player for Fitzroy and Essendon. As soon as he joined the Lions, he was immediately trained to function as a center half forward. He played his first senior game at age 18.
2. His career started to really flourish in the so-called Triple premiership period.
Brown's role was instrumental to the Lions' participation in four consecutive AFL Grand Finals and was part of three premierships in 2001, 2002 and 2003.
3. When he reached his peak, he was unstoppable.
At his peak in 2006, Brown was raking in almost every individual award and recognition possible in the AFL. In 2007, he was awarded the Coleman medal and the Brisbane Lions medal. It was at this year that he joined the All-Australian team. In 2009, he once again made the All-Australian team. He was the team captain of the Brisbane Lions from 2007 to 2013.
4. He values his family.
The June 14 incident was his third concussion in a span of 12 months. During this time, Brown finally decided that it's time to rest and enjoy the fruits of his labor with his loved ones. Speaking to reporters at press conference in Sydney recently, he announced even without the latest injury, 2014 really was his last season because he wanted to take a breather.
"It wasn't worth the risk of going out there and copping another head knock and jeopardising my future with my wife and kids. I've got to keep pretty sharp for the young fella, to chase him around," he was quoted by various media as saying. Brown has a one-year-old son with wife Kylie.
5. He's low-key on the hysterics.
Unlike other sporting superstars who enjoyed being at the center of media attention, Brown is a pretty low-key, laid-back kind of guy. In an article by the Herald Sun, Luke Hodge, the captain of the Hawthorn Football Club, has only the best comments about his colleague.
"He's highly respected among the footy public and players, and as intimidating as he is on the field he's just as good a bloke off the field. What he's done for football in general and also the Brisbane Lions has been enormous," Hodge said.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How