5 Takeaways From Lions Stalwart Jonathan Brown Retirement
June 25, 2014 5:42 PM EST
Jonathan Brown, an Australian football superstar, has announced his retirement from the Australian Football League after his third blow to the head during a recent game against Greater Western Sydney.
Fans of the Brisbane Lions Legend were saddened by this news. According to the 32-year-old Brown, all is well. He has had a pretty good run throughout his career, which has spanned 256 games and quite a feat for someone of his age.
Here are five takeaways from Brown's retirement. This will remind us that while his time on AFL was short, it was very meaningful:
1. He was Pick 30 in the 1999 AFL National Draft.
Brown was drafted by the Lions under the father-son rule, which allows clubs to recruit sons of players who had made significant contributions to the league in the past. Jonathan is the son of Brian Brown, a former player for Fitzroy and Essendon. As soon as he joined the Lions, he was immediately trained to function as a center half forward. He played his first senior game at age 18.
2. His career started to really flourish in the so-called Triple premiership period.
Brown's role was instrumental to the Lions' participation in four consecutive AFL Grand Finals and was part of three premierships in 2001, 2002 and 2003.
3. When he reached his peak, he was unstoppable.
At his peak in 2006, Brown was raking in almost every individual award and recognition possible in the AFL. In 2007, he was awarded the Coleman medal and the Brisbane Lions medal. It was at this year that he joined the All-Australian team. In 2009, he once again made the All-Australian team. He was the team captain of the Brisbane Lions from 2007 to 2013.
4. He values his family.
The June 14 incident was his third concussion in a span of 12 months. During this time, Brown finally decided that it's time to rest and enjoy the fruits of his labor with his loved ones. Speaking to reporters at press conference in Sydney recently, he announced even without the latest injury, 2014 really was his last season because he wanted to take a breather.
"It wasn't worth the risk of going out there and copping another head knock and jeopardising my future with my wife and kids. I've got to keep pretty sharp for the young fella, to chase him around," he was quoted by various media as saying. Brown has a one-year-old son with wife Kylie.
5. He's low-key on the hysterics.
Unlike other sporting superstars who enjoyed being at the center of media attention, Brown is a pretty low-key, laid-back kind of guy. In an article by the Herald Sun, Luke Hodge, the captain of the Hawthorn Football Club, has only the best comments about his colleague.
"He's highly respected among the footy public and players, and as intimidating as he is on the field he's just as good a bloke off the field. What he's done for football in general and also the Brisbane Lions has been enormous," Hodge said.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Brings Danger To Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal at US Open
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- Serena Williams Makes History; Among Most Dominant World's No.1 in History
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]