5 Takeaways From Lions Stalwart Jonathan Brown Retirement
June 25, 2014 5:42 PM EST
Jonathan Brown, an Australian football superstar, has announced his retirement from the Australian Football League after his third blow to the head during a recent game against Greater Western Sydney.
Fans of the Brisbane Lions Legend were saddened by this news. According to the 32-year-old Brown, all is well. He has had a pretty good run throughout his career, which has spanned 256 games and quite a feat for someone of his age.
Here are five takeaways from Brown's retirement. This will remind us that while his time on AFL was short, it was very meaningful:
1. He was Pick 30 in the 1999 AFL National Draft.
Brown was drafted by the Lions under the father-son rule, which allows clubs to recruit sons of players who had made significant contributions to the league in the past. Jonathan is the son of Brian Brown, a former player for Fitzroy and Essendon. As soon as he joined the Lions, he was immediately trained to function as a center half forward. He played his first senior game at age 18.
2. His career started to really flourish in the so-called Triple premiership period.
Brown's role was instrumental to the Lions' participation in four consecutive AFL Grand Finals and was part of three premierships in 2001, 2002 and 2003.
3. When he reached his peak, he was unstoppable.
At his peak in 2006, Brown was raking in almost every individual award and recognition possible in the AFL. In 2007, he was awarded the Coleman medal and the Brisbane Lions medal. It was at this year that he joined the All-Australian team. In 2009, he once again made the All-Australian team. He was the team captain of the Brisbane Lions from 2007 to 2013.
4. He values his family.
The June 14 incident was his third concussion in a span of 12 months. During this time, Brown finally decided that it's time to rest and enjoy the fruits of his labor with his loved ones. Speaking to reporters at press conference in Sydney recently, he announced even without the latest injury, 2014 really was his last season because he wanted to take a breather.
"It wasn't worth the risk of going out there and copping another head knock and jeopardising my future with my wife and kids. I've got to keep pretty sharp for the young fella, to chase him around," he was quoted by various media as saying. Brown has a one-year-old son with wife Kylie.
5. He's low-key on the hysterics.
Unlike other sporting superstars who enjoyed being at the center of media attention, Brown is a pretty low-key, laid-back kind of guy. In an article by the Herald Sun, Luke Hodge, the captain of the Hawthorn Football Club, has only the best comments about his colleague.
"He's highly respected among the footy public and players, and as intimidating as he is on the field he's just as good a bloke off the field. What he's done for football in general and also the Brisbane Lions has been enormous," Hodge said.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales