KFC Says No Proof 3-Year-Old Scarred Girl Was Told to Leave Store, Still Honouring $30K Donation
By Anne Lu | June 25, 2014 4:58 PM EST
KFC has concluded that the story about the little girl who was kicked out of its store for apparently scaring other customers with her scarred face did not happen. However, the fast food joint said that it will still honour the pledge it made to donate U$30,000 towards three-year-old Victoria Wilcher’s medical bills.
Earlier in June, Victoria’s grandmother, Kelly Mullins, claimed that a KFC staff asked them to leave the store because the girl’s face is scaring other customers. Victoria was attacked by her grandfather’s three pit bulls in April, which left her with scarred and partly paralysed face. She also lost her right eye from the attack.
KFC apologised to Victoria and her family, saying its franchise had hired an independent investigator to probe the. It also donated U$30,000 to help with Victoria’s medical bills.
However, sources told Laurel Leader-Call that the investigation found no evidence of the said incident ever occurring. KFC would not comment on the investigation until it was completed, though.
READ: Story of 3-Year-Old Scarred Girl Being Kicked Out of KFC Just A Hoax: Report
Franchise Hannon Food Services said that the investigation has concluded after reviewing hundreds of hours of surveillance videos at the KFC restaurant on Woodrow Wilson Drive in Jackson, Mississippi.
“As of today, neither Hannon Food Services nor the outside firm involved in the consultation has found any evidence to verify that the incident took place at our restaurant on Woodrow Wilson drive. Nevertheless, we’ll continue to exhaust every possible avenue until we’re absolutely sure we have all the facts,” reads a statement issued by the company to 16 WAPT News on Tuesday,
Franchise owner Mitch Hannon added, “We feel terrible for Victoria and pray for her full and complete recovery, but at the same time I am relieved to know that nobody that worked for our company mistreated her in any way or said what was alleged.
“It did not happen and I am relieved to know that it didn’t.”
The company’s headquarters will still honour the U$30,000 donation it made to the family, though.
Over U$135,000 in donation has been sent by people all over the world to Victoria’s family after hearing the story. The family also received offers of free plastic surgery and prosthetic eye from medical professionals.
The Facebook page “Victoria’s Victories,” set up by Victoria’s aunt Teri Rials Bates, has now been taken down.
Before it was dismantled, the family has posted a message denying reports that the incident was a hoax.
Attorney William S. Kellum III, representing Victoria’s family, told 16 WAPT News in an email, “It is unfortunate that Victoria and her family are being vilified on what appears to be the result of an inconclusive investigation conducted by KFC and/or its agents that implies Victoria’s story is a ‘hoax.’
“It is deeply disappointing that other parties have taken opportunity to attack Victoria through social media and news media outlets. Victoria is an innocent child with very real physical and emotional scars. The focus of her family has always been, and will always be on Victoria and making her whole again.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Afghan Pizza Man Shot Dead in Canada
- At What Age Do Boys And Girls Look Best To Each Other?
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date