KFC Says No Proof 3-Year-Old Scarred Girl Was Told to Leave Store, Still Honouring $30K Donation
By Anne Lu | June 25, 2014 4:58 PM EST
KFC has concluded that the story about the little girl who was kicked out of its store for apparently scaring other customers with her scarred face did not happen. However, the fast food joint said that it will still honour the pledge it made to donate U$30,000 towards three-year-old Victoria Wilcher’s medical bills.
Earlier in June, Victoria’s grandmother, Kelly Mullins, claimed that a KFC staff asked them to leave the store because the girl’s face is scaring other customers. Victoria was attacked by her grandfather’s three pit bulls in April, which left her with scarred and partly paralysed face. She also lost her right eye from the attack.
KFC apologised to Victoria and her family, saying its franchise had hired an independent investigator to probe the. It also donated U$30,000 to help with Victoria’s medical bills.
However, sources told Laurel Leader-Call that the investigation found no evidence of the said incident ever occurring. KFC would not comment on the investigation until it was completed, though.
READ: Story of 3-Year-Old Scarred Girl Being Kicked Out of KFC Just A Hoax: Report
Franchise Hannon Food Services said that the investigation has concluded after reviewing hundreds of hours of surveillance videos at the KFC restaurant on Woodrow Wilson Drive in Jackson, Mississippi.
“As of today, neither Hannon Food Services nor the outside firm involved in the consultation has found any evidence to verify that the incident took place at our restaurant on Woodrow Wilson drive. Nevertheless, we’ll continue to exhaust every possible avenue until we’re absolutely sure we have all the facts,” reads a statement issued by the company to 16 WAPT News on Tuesday,
Franchise owner Mitch Hannon added, “We feel terrible for Victoria and pray for her full and complete recovery, but at the same time I am relieved to know that nobody that worked for our company mistreated her in any way or said what was alleged.
“It did not happen and I am relieved to know that it didn’t.”
The company’s headquarters will still honour the U$30,000 donation it made to the family, though.
Over U$135,000 in donation has been sent by people all over the world to Victoria’s family after hearing the story. The family also received offers of free plastic surgery and prosthetic eye from medical professionals.
The Facebook page “Victoria’s Victories,” set up by Victoria’s aunt Teri Rials Bates, has now been taken down.
Before it was dismantled, the family has posted a message denying reports that the incident was a hoax.
Attorney William S. Kellum III, representing Victoria’s family, told 16 WAPT News in an email, “It is unfortunate that Victoria and her family are being vilified on what appears to be the result of an inconclusive investigation conducted by KFC and/or its agents that implies Victoria’s story is a ‘hoax.’
“It is deeply disappointing that other parties have taken opportunity to attack Victoria through social media and news media outlets. Victoria is an innocent child with very real physical and emotional scars. The focus of her family has always been, and will always be on Victoria and making her whole again.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June