DiCaprio Linked to Husband’s Suicide of Suitcase Model Katie Cleary
By Athena Yenko | June 25, 2014 4:49 PM EST
Sources from the law enforcement confirmed that Andre Stern, husband of Deal or No Deal suitcase model Katie Cleary committed suicide by shooting himself to death, TMZ reports.
Leonardo DiCaprio, best actor nominee for his role in the film "The Wolf of Wall Street", arrives at the 86th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California March 2, 2014. REUTERS/Adrees Latif
The suicide happened just weeks following photographs of Cleary and Leonardo DiCaprio partying in Cannes in May. The pictures showed the two being intimate in a manner that more than casual acquaintances should be.
Cleary was also photographed partying with Entourage star Adrian Grenier.
Stern, a 40-year-old businessman, shot himself at a shooting range in the San Fernando Valley, the sources told TMZ.
Investigations found that Stern was already suffering depression over their marital problems, with Cleary already filing for divorce.
It was also found that Stern had suffered depression due to financial problems prior to the incident.
Representatives for Cleary told TMZ that the couple had separated 8 months ago, and it was Stern who had filed for divorce in April. The representative also denied that the photos with Cleary and DiCaprio had triggered the suicide. The representative said that Cleary and DiCaprio had only been talking about animal conservation the night they were photographed partying.
DiCaprio had recently made headlines when he made criticisms about Australia's handling of the Great Barrier Reef.
''Since my very first dive in the Great Barrier Reef in Australia 20 years ago, to the dive I got to do in the very same location just two years ago, I've witnessed environmental devastation firsthand. What once had looked like an endless underwater utopia is now riddled with bleached coral reefs and massive dead zones," DiCaprio said during Our Ocean Conference in Washington DC.
However, friends of Stern were saying that the photos of DiCaprio and Cleary really bothered Stern. Stern still loves Cleary but had only filed for divorce because the latter kept humiliating him with her controversial antics with celebrities.
A family spokesperson for Andre Stern also confirmed the latter's suicide through a statement obtained by People.
A family spokesperson confirmed to PEOPLE in a statement.
"On Sunday, June 22, Andrew Stern, husband of Katie Cleary, committed suicide at a shooting range in the San Fernando Valley. Andrew and Katie have been in the midst of a very amicable separation and had remained on excellent terms. This is devastating news for us but we have been aware of Andrew's longtime struggle with depression," the statement reads.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Woman Accuses Labor Leader of 1986 Rape When She was 16; Shorten Admits Being Probed But Says He Was Cleared
- Sydney Fashion Designer Jodhi Meares’ Driver License Suspended for Drunk-Driving
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao KOs Philippine Taxman as Supreme Court Stops Agency from Requiring P4.2 Billion Surety Bond from Champ
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch