DiCaprio Linked to Husband’s Suicide of Suitcase Model Katie Cleary
By Athena Yenko | June 25, 2014 4:49 PM EST
Sources from the law enforcement confirmed that Andre Stern, husband of Deal or No Deal suitcase model Katie Cleary committed suicide by shooting himself to death, TMZ reports.
Leonardo DiCaprio, best actor nominee for his role in the film "The Wolf of Wall Street", arrives at the 86th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California March 2, 2014. REUTERS/Adrees Latif
The suicide happened just weeks following photographs of Cleary and Leonardo DiCaprio partying in Cannes in May. The pictures showed the two being intimate in a manner that more than casual acquaintances should be.
Cleary was also photographed partying with Entourage star Adrian Grenier.
Stern, a 40-year-old businessman, shot himself at a shooting range in the San Fernando Valley, the sources told TMZ.
Investigations found that Stern was already suffering depression over their marital problems, with Cleary already filing for divorce.
It was also found that Stern had suffered depression due to financial problems prior to the incident.
Representatives for Cleary told TMZ that the couple had separated 8 months ago, and it was Stern who had filed for divorce in April. The representative also denied that the photos with Cleary and DiCaprio had triggered the suicide. The representative said that Cleary and DiCaprio had only been talking about animal conservation the night they were photographed partying.
DiCaprio had recently made headlines when he made criticisms about Australia's handling of the Great Barrier Reef.
''Since my very first dive in the Great Barrier Reef in Australia 20 years ago, to the dive I got to do in the very same location just two years ago, I've witnessed environmental devastation firsthand. What once had looked like an endless underwater utopia is now riddled with bleached coral reefs and massive dead zones," DiCaprio said during Our Ocean Conference in Washington DC.
However, friends of Stern were saying that the photos of DiCaprio and Cleary really bothered Stern. Stern still loves Cleary but had only filed for divorce because the latter kept humiliating him with her controversial antics with celebrities.
A family spokesperson for Andre Stern also confirmed the latter's suicide through a statement obtained by People.
A family spokesperson confirmed to PEOPLE in a statement.
"On Sunday, June 22, Andrew Stern, husband of Katie Cleary, committed suicide at a shooting range in the San Fernando Valley. Andrew and Katie have been in the midst of a very amicable separation and had remained on excellent terms. This is devastating news for us but we have been aware of Andrew's longtime struggle with depression," the statement reads.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation