DiCaprio Linked to Husband’s Suicide of Suitcase Model Katie Cleary
By Athena Yenko | June 25, 2014 4:49 PM EST
Sources from the law enforcement confirmed that Andre Stern, husband of Deal or No Deal suitcase model Katie Cleary committed suicide by shooting himself to death, TMZ reports.
Leonardo DiCaprio, best actor nominee for his role in the film "The Wolf of Wall Street", arrives at the 86th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California March 2, 2014. REUTERS/Adrees Latif
The suicide happened just weeks following photographs of Cleary and Leonardo DiCaprio partying in Cannes in May. The pictures showed the two being intimate in a manner that more than casual acquaintances should be.
Cleary was also photographed partying with Entourage star Adrian Grenier.
Stern, a 40-year-old businessman, shot himself at a shooting range in the San Fernando Valley, the sources told TMZ.
Investigations found that Stern was already suffering depression over their marital problems, with Cleary already filing for divorce.
It was also found that Stern had suffered depression due to financial problems prior to the incident.
Representatives for Cleary told TMZ that the couple had separated 8 months ago, and it was Stern who had filed for divorce in April. The representative also denied that the photos with Cleary and DiCaprio had triggered the suicide. The representative said that Cleary and DiCaprio had only been talking about animal conservation the night they were photographed partying.
DiCaprio had recently made headlines when he made criticisms about Australia's handling of the Great Barrier Reef.
''Since my very first dive in the Great Barrier Reef in Australia 20 years ago, to the dive I got to do in the very same location just two years ago, I've witnessed environmental devastation firsthand. What once had looked like an endless underwater utopia is now riddled with bleached coral reefs and massive dead zones," DiCaprio said during Our Ocean Conference in Washington DC.
However, friends of Stern were saying that the photos of DiCaprio and Cleary really bothered Stern. Stern still loves Cleary but had only filed for divorce because the latter kept humiliating him with her controversial antics with celebrities.
A family spokesperson for Andre Stern also confirmed the latter's suicide through a statement obtained by People.
A family spokesperson confirmed to PEOPLE in a statement.
"On Sunday, June 22, Andrew Stern, husband of Katie Cleary, committed suicide at a shooting range in the San Fernando Valley. Andrew and Katie have been in the midst of a very amicable separation and had remained on excellent terms. This is devastating news for us but we have been aware of Andrew's longtime struggle with depression," the statement reads.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Indonesia Uses Russian-Built Fighter Jets In Chasing For Australian Plane
- Move Over, Jeremy Meeks; Brazil Has A Handsome Crook With 39 Murders On Record
- Producers Allowed to Sue ‘Femme Fatales’ Actress Anne Greene For Refusing Nude Scenes
- Islamic State: Aussie Terrorism Suspect Was In Same Video When Runaway Teenager Threatened PM Abbott
- Islamic State: From Beheading Men, IS Moves To Stoning Adulteress To Death
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop