British Airways Sued for Airline Booking Mistake, Flies Passenger to Grenada Instead of Granada
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 25, 2014 4:43 PM EST
A dentist from Maryland is fuming mad and will sue British Airways after the airline made an erroneous entry into its airline booking system that flew the passenger and his companion to the southern Caribbean island of Grenada, instead of the ancient city of Granada, Spain.
The body was found on a British Airways flight when it landed at Heathrow (Reuters)
U.S. dentist Edward Gamson booked and bought first-class tickets for the trip. He said he realised something was amiss when he saw that the electronic map on the inflight entertainment system showed their plane was heading due west out of London instead of south.
"Why are we headed west to go to Spain?" the American dentist asked a flight attendant. "His response was: 'Spain?' We're going to West Indies.'"
The tickets were bought via a British Airways booking agent in Florida. The e-tickets didn't have the destination country and flight duration. It only displayed the city name.
"It's just so sad," Gamson told The Independent. "A trip we had been really looking forward to was ruined and ... BA won't do the decent thing."
He said he will lay charges against British Airways because it refused to reimburse his first-class tickets as well as didn't reroute the travelers from Grenada to Granada. He wants reimbursement for the cost of the trip, including planned tours in Spain that he and his partner failed to get, all in the amount of US$34,000.
"I have a lifelong interest in Islamic art. I'm also of Spanish Jewish heritage so it was something I had always wanted to do to visit Granada and the Alhambra. I made it absolutely clear to the booking agent I wanted to go to Granada in Spain. Why on earth would I want to go to Grenada in the Caribbean if I was flying back to America from Lisbon?"
"It's just so sad. A trip we had been really looking forward to was ruined and ... BA won't do the decent thing."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Global Air Travel Alert: Air France Pilots Stage Labour Strike
- West Africa Ebola Epidemic To Last 12-18 Months More
- Pope Francis Blasted For Defying Catholic Doctrine, Marries 20 Couples Who Have Cohabited And Had Children In No Else But St Peter's Basilica
- Venezuelans Using Made-in-China Silicones Because Of Breast Implant Shortage
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date