British Airways Sued for Airline Booking Mistake, Flies Passenger to Grenada Instead of Granada
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 25, 2014 4:43 PM EST
A dentist from Maryland is fuming mad and will sue British Airways after the airline made an erroneous entry into its airline booking system that flew the passenger and his companion to the southern Caribbean island of Grenada, instead of the ancient city of Granada, Spain.
The body was found on a British Airways flight when it landed at Heathrow (Reuters)
U.S. dentist Edward Gamson booked and bought first-class tickets for the trip. He said he realised something was amiss when he saw that the electronic map on the inflight entertainment system showed their plane was heading due west out of London instead of south.
"Why are we headed west to go to Spain?" the American dentist asked a flight attendant. "His response was: 'Spain?' We're going to West Indies.'"
The tickets were bought via a British Airways booking agent in Florida. The e-tickets didn't have the destination country and flight duration. It only displayed the city name.
"It's just so sad," Gamson told The Independent. "A trip we had been really looking forward to was ruined and ... BA won't do the decent thing."
He said he will lay charges against British Airways because it refused to reimburse his first-class tickets as well as didn't reroute the travelers from Grenada to Granada. He wants reimbursement for the cost of the trip, including planned tours in Spain that he and his partner failed to get, all in the amount of US$34,000.
"I have a lifelong interest in Islamic art. I'm also of Spanish Jewish heritage so it was something I had always wanted to do to visit Granada and the Alhambra. I made it absolutely clear to the booking agent I wanted to go to Granada in Spain. Why on earth would I want to go to Grenada in the Caribbean if I was flying back to America from Lisbon?"
"It's just so sad. A trip we had been really looking forward to was ruined and ... BA won't do the decent thing."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- Canadian Bank Thanks Its Customers Through Surprise Gifts In ATM [VIDEO]
- TEPCO Loses in Fukushima Suicide Case, Ordered to Pay $472,000 to Family
- Canada Fears Ebola: Pulls Out Lab Team from Sierra Leone
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge