Canada Day Weather Advisory: Warm and Humid, Expect Thunderstorms
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 25, 2014 3:14 PM EST
Residents of Canada have been advised to brace for a warm and humid weather, possibly with thunderstorms, as the country celebrates its four-day long weekend, Canada Day from June 28 to July 1.
Glaciers on Canada's Ellesmere Island are seen during a NASA Operation IceBridge survey flight on April 1, 2014.
"Nearly all parts of the country have the threat of thunderstorms at some point during the extended long weekend with the exception of coastal B.C. and Nunavut," said Chris Scott, Chief Meteorologist at The Weather Network. "There will also be plenty of warm weather which will have people enjoying the outdoors, so it's critical to be aware of rapidly changing conditions and head inside at the first rumble of thunder."
The week will have plenty of warm weather, however conditions may change quickly by Tuesday. Temperatures across the country will be changeable, but average out to near seasonal.
During the Canada Day weekend (June 28 - July 1), warm and humid weather will surge into much of Eastern Canada from Ontario to Newfoundland. However, the increase in heat and humidity will also bring the threat for showers and thunderstorms from time to time. The Weather Network is monitoring the timing for a transition to cooler weather in Ontario towards the end of the long weekend as that would bring a more widespread threat for rain and thunderstorms.
Southern British Columbia and the Western Prairies will start the weekend cool and unsettled, but the weather will improve as it gets closer to Canada Day. The Eastern Prairies will see a transition from muggy and unsettled weather during the weekend with cooler and drier weather for Canada Day.
The weather bureau also said the humidex may climb into the 30s.
"Saturday looks like our best day of the weekend," Doug Gillham, a meteorologist with the Weather Netwok, said.
For those planning to spend the long weekend outdoors on picnics or go boating, watch out for developing showers in the afternoon either on Sunday or Monday. "You certainly want to keep an eye to the sky if you're outside or boating," he said.
The weather could also affect whatever fireworks display planned for the celebration.
"We're going to have fireworks on Canada Day; we're just not sure if they are going to be the natural or the scheduled ones," Gillham said.
Fireworks are scheduled as follows:
- Mel Lastman Square starting at 10:15 p.m.
- Ashbridges Bay starting at 9:30 p.m.
- Canada's Wonderland beginning at 10 p.m.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- U.S. Flights to Israel Now Lifted, Flights To and From Tel Aviv Resume – FAA
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand Raises Interest Rates Due to 'Unsustainable' Kiwi
- Embattled Malaysia Airlines Could Run Out of Cash 2015; Diverts Plane Over Another War Zone After MH17 Crash
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales