2014 Wimbledon: Roger Federer Crushes Italy’s Paolo Lorenzi
By Rachelle Corpuz | June 25, 2014 2:23 PM EST
Roger Federer crushed Italy's Paolo Lorenzi in three straight sets in the first round of the 2014 Wimbledon Championships with the final score of 6-1, 6-2, 6-3.
The Swiss fourth seed looked hardly distressed finishing the match with an ace. It was the 10th time that Federer has won his first match in straight sets in the last 11 years, according to reports.
Roger Federer of Switzerland waves after defeating Paolo Lorenzi of Italy in their men's singles tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014. REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth
Federer was ecstatic about his first victory. "Getting the first one out of the way is always a good feeling," Federer told BBC Sport. "I thought I played well, got a lot of breaks and served well."
Federer said that he still felt some jitters before the match started. He said he felt "relaxed and happy" walking down the hallway but revealed that he still felt "pressured." Federer praised Lorenzi after win and said that the Italian athlete did okay in the match.
"I though he did a good job by trying to serve and volley and make the plays but he maybe doesn't have a strong enough serve to do that."
In a news report by The Guardian, Federer said that winning in Wimbledon is still his main goal. "I'll still have to see how it's going to go from here on because at the end I'd rather not serve and volley and win my matches than go out in style serving and volleying."
"I'm here to win the tournament."
Federer has won the Wimbledon title seven times. He won his first Wimbledon title in 2003 against Mark Philippoussis. In 2012, he defeated Britain's Andy Murray in the finals of the said Grand Slam tournament to win his seventh title.
Federer, who had only won two titles in 2014 including the tournaments in Dubai and Halle, will face Luxembourg's Gilles Muller in the second round.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast