2014 Wimbledon: Roger Federer Crushes Italy’s Paolo Lorenzi
By Rachelle Corpuz | June 25, 2014 2:23 PM EST
Roger Federer crushed Italy's Paolo Lorenzi in three straight sets in the first round of the 2014 Wimbledon Championships with the final score of 6-1, 6-2, 6-3.
The Swiss fourth seed looked hardly distressed finishing the match with an ace. It was the 10th time that Federer has won his first match in straight sets in the last 11 years, according to reports.
Roger Federer of Switzerland waves after defeating Paolo Lorenzi of Italy in their men's singles tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014. REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth
Federer was ecstatic about his first victory. "Getting the first one out of the way is always a good feeling," Federer told BBC Sport. "I thought I played well, got a lot of breaks and served well."
Federer said that he still felt some jitters before the match started. He said he felt "relaxed and happy" walking down the hallway but revealed that he still felt "pressured." Federer praised Lorenzi after win and said that the Italian athlete did okay in the match.
"I though he did a good job by trying to serve and volley and make the plays but he maybe doesn't have a strong enough serve to do that."
In a news report by The Guardian, Federer said that winning in Wimbledon is still his main goal. "I'll still have to see how it's going to go from here on because at the end I'd rather not serve and volley and win my matches than go out in style serving and volleying."
"I'm here to win the tournament."
Federer has won the Wimbledon title seven times. He won his first Wimbledon title in 2003 against Mark Philippoussis. In 2012, he defeated Britain's Andy Murray in the finals of the said Grand Slam tournament to win his seventh title.
Federer, who had only won two titles in 2014 including the tournaments in Dubai and Halle, will face Luxembourg's Gilles Muller in the second round.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge