2014 Wimbledon: Roger Federer Crushes Italy’s Paolo Lorenzi
By Rachelle Corpuz | June 25, 2014 2:23 PM EST
Roger Federer crushed Italy's Paolo Lorenzi in three straight sets in the first round of the 2014 Wimbledon Championships with the final score of 6-1, 6-2, 6-3.
The Swiss fourth seed looked hardly distressed finishing the match with an ace. It was the 10th time that Federer has won his first match in straight sets in the last 11 years, according to reports.
Roger Federer of Switzerland waves after defeating Paolo Lorenzi of Italy in their men's singles tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014. REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth
Federer was ecstatic about his first victory. "Getting the first one out of the way is always a good feeling," Federer told BBC Sport. "I thought I played well, got a lot of breaks and served well."
Federer said that he still felt some jitters before the match started. He said he felt "relaxed and happy" walking down the hallway but revealed that he still felt "pressured." Federer praised Lorenzi after win and said that the Italian athlete did okay in the match.
"I though he did a good job by trying to serve and volley and make the plays but he maybe doesn't have a strong enough serve to do that."
In a news report by The Guardian, Federer said that winning in Wimbledon is still his main goal. "I'll still have to see how it's going to go from here on because at the end I'd rather not serve and volley and win my matches than go out in style serving and volleying."
"I'm here to win the tournament."
Federer has won the Wimbledon title seven times. He won his first Wimbledon title in 2003 against Mark Philippoussis. In 2012, he defeated Britain's Andy Murray in the finals of the said Grand Slam tournament to win his seventh title.
Federer, who had only won two titles in 2014 including the tournaments in Dubai and Halle, will face Luxembourg's Gilles Muller in the second round.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports