NBA Trade 2014: Sacramento Kings and Detroit Pistons Discuss Josh Smith Swap
By James Patrick Quizon | June 25, 2014 2:19 PM EST
A frontcourt of DeMarcus Cousins, Rudy Gay and Josh Smith could be in the offing for the Sacramento Kings if they finalize a deal with the Detroit Pistons.
NBA: Detroit Pistons at Miami Heat
Marc Stein of ESPN.COM reported the purported deal that will also send Kings’ big men Jason Thompson and Derrick Williams.
Vie Stein’s Twitter:
One source insists nothing imminent, but I'm told Pistons and Kings have discussed a trade that would send Josh Smith to Sacramento
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) June 24, 2014
One potential scenario, I'm told, would send Smith to Kings for Jason Thompson and Derrick Williams. Jason Terry might be another option — Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) June 24, 2014
Sacramento would have a talented but volatile frontcourt if the deal goes down. They will also have the most expensive combination of starting center-forwards in the NBA with Cousins ($13.7M), Gay ($19.3M) and Smith ($14.0M) all earning double-digit max salary for a total of roughly $47M—already 74.6% of the projected salary cap of $63M for the 2014-2015 NBA season.
This will be new president and head coach Stan Van Gundy’s first major move with the Pistons and it appears a complete overhaul of the disappointing Detroit squad is in place.
Actual savings for the team will come after the 2014-2015 season as Smith is set to be paid $42M for the next three years. The cheaper contracts of Williams (potential $6.6M expiring after next season) and Thompson ($18M for the next three years at $6M per year) are also friendlier than Smith’s toxic deal.
Gay, who opted-in for the final year of his deal early in the offseason, averaged 20.1 points, 5.5 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 55 games for the Kings last season after being acquired in a trade with the Toronto Raptors.
Cousins logged in a double-double of 22.7 points and 11.7 rebounds while Smith had low-efficient numbers of 16.4 PPG (41.2 FG%), 6.8 RPG, 3.3 APG with 2.6 turnovers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June