NBA Trade 2014: Sacramento Kings and Detroit Pistons Discuss Josh Smith Swap
By James Patrick Quizon | June 25, 2014 2:19 PM EST
A frontcourt of DeMarcus Cousins, Rudy Gay and Josh Smith could be in the offing for the Sacramento Kings if they finalize a deal with the Detroit Pistons.
NBA: Detroit Pistons at Miami Heat
Marc Stein of ESPN.COM reported the purported deal that will also send Kings’ big men Jason Thompson and Derrick Williams.
Vie Stein’s Twitter:
One source insists nothing imminent, but I'm told Pistons and Kings have discussed a trade that would send Josh Smith to Sacramento
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) June 24, 2014
One potential scenario, I'm told, would send Smith to Kings for Jason Thompson and Derrick Williams. Jason Terry might be another option — Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) June 24, 2014
Sacramento would have a talented but volatile frontcourt if the deal goes down. They will also have the most expensive combination of starting center-forwards in the NBA with Cousins ($13.7M), Gay ($19.3M) and Smith ($14.0M) all earning double-digit max salary for a total of roughly $47M—already 74.6% of the projected salary cap of $63M for the 2014-2015 NBA season.
This will be new president and head coach Stan Van Gundy’s first major move with the Pistons and it appears a complete overhaul of the disappointing Detroit squad is in place.
Actual savings for the team will come after the 2014-2015 season as Smith is set to be paid $42M for the next three years. The cheaper contracts of Williams (potential $6.6M expiring after next season) and Thompson ($18M for the next three years at $6M per year) are also friendlier than Smith’s toxic deal.
Gay, who opted-in for the final year of his deal early in the offseason, averaged 20.1 points, 5.5 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 55 games for the Kings last season after being acquired in a trade with the Toronto Raptors.
Cousins logged in a double-double of 22.7 points and 11.7 rebounds while Smith had low-efficient numbers of 16.4 PPG (41.2 FG%), 6.8 RPG, 3.3 APG with 2.6 turnovers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch