NBA Trade 2014: Sacramento Kings and Detroit Pistons Discuss Josh Smith Swap
By James Patrick Quizon | June 25, 2014 2:19 PM EST
A frontcourt of DeMarcus Cousins, Rudy Gay and Josh Smith could be in the offing for the Sacramento Kings if they finalize a deal with the Detroit Pistons.
NBA: Detroit Pistons at Miami Heat
Marc Stein of ESPN.COM reported the purported deal that will also send Kings’ big men Jason Thompson and Derrick Williams.
Vie Stein’s Twitter:
One source insists nothing imminent, but I'm told Pistons and Kings have discussed a trade that would send Josh Smith to Sacramento
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) June 24, 2014
One potential scenario, I'm told, would send Smith to Kings for Jason Thompson and Derrick Williams. Jason Terry might be another option — Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) June 24, 2014
Sacramento would have a talented but volatile frontcourt if the deal goes down. They will also have the most expensive combination of starting center-forwards in the NBA with Cousins ($13.7M), Gay ($19.3M) and Smith ($14.0M) all earning double-digit max salary for a total of roughly $47M—already 74.6% of the projected salary cap of $63M for the 2014-2015 NBA season.
This will be new president and head coach Stan Van Gundy’s first major move with the Pistons and it appears a complete overhaul of the disappointing Detroit squad is in place.
Actual savings for the team will come after the 2014-2015 season as Smith is set to be paid $42M for the next three years. The cheaper contracts of Williams (potential $6.6M expiring after next season) and Thompson ($18M for the next three years at $6M per year) are also friendlier than Smith’s toxic deal.
Gay, who opted-in for the final year of his deal early in the offseason, averaged 20.1 points, 5.5 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 55 games for the Kings last season after being acquired in a trade with the Toronto Raptors.
Cousins logged in a double-double of 22.7 points and 11.7 rebounds while Smith had low-efficient numbers of 16.4 PPG (41.2 FG%), 6.8 RPG, 3.3 APG with 2.6 turnovers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Liverpool FC: Brendan Rodgers Accedes That His Days As Reds Boss Could Be Numbered
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James