NBA Trade 2014: Sacramento Kings and Detroit Pistons Discuss Josh Smith Swap
By James Patrick Quizon | June 25, 2014 2:19 PM EST
A frontcourt of DeMarcus Cousins, Rudy Gay and Josh Smith could be in the offing for the Sacramento Kings if they finalize a deal with the Detroit Pistons.
NBA: Detroit Pistons at Miami Heat
Marc Stein of ESPN.COM reported the purported deal that will also send Kings’ big men Jason Thompson and Derrick Williams.
Vie Stein’s Twitter:
One source insists nothing imminent, but I'm told Pistons and Kings have discussed a trade that would send Josh Smith to Sacramento
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) June 24, 2014
One potential scenario, I'm told, would send Smith to Kings for Jason Thompson and Derrick Williams. Jason Terry might be another option — Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) June 24, 2014
Sacramento would have a talented but volatile frontcourt if the deal goes down. They will also have the most expensive combination of starting center-forwards in the NBA with Cousins ($13.7M), Gay ($19.3M) and Smith ($14.0M) all earning double-digit max salary for a total of roughly $47M—already 74.6% of the projected salary cap of $63M for the 2014-2015 NBA season.
This will be new president and head coach Stan Van Gundy’s first major move with the Pistons and it appears a complete overhaul of the disappointing Detroit squad is in place.
Actual savings for the team will come after the 2014-2015 season as Smith is set to be paid $42M for the next three years. The cheaper contracts of Williams (potential $6.6M expiring after next season) and Thompson ($18M for the next three years at $6M per year) are also friendlier than Smith’s toxic deal.
Gay, who opted-in for the final year of his deal early in the offseason, averaged 20.1 points, 5.5 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 55 games for the Kings last season after being acquired in a trade with the Toronto Raptors.
Cousins logged in a double-double of 22.7 points and 11.7 rebounds while Smith had low-efficient numbers of 16.4 PPG (41.2 FG%), 6.8 RPG, 3.3 APG with 2.6 turnovers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS