PS4 Firmware 1.72 Released with Details and a PS Now Beta Pricing Analysis
By Gel Galang | June 25, 2014 1:32 PM EST
PS4 players should get ready to download the 1.72 firmware update for more software stability and improvement.
A crowd of people gather near the Sony Playstation booth at the 2014 Electronic Entertainment Expo, known as E3, in Los Angeles, California June 10, 2014.
System software updates coming soon for PS4 (v1.72) and PS3 (v4.60), both will improve system software stability during use of some features
— PlayStation (@PlayStation) June 24, 2014
VG 24/7 adds some of the PS4 features that have been promised way back in February are not yet included in the latest update, though Sony Worldwide boss Shuhei Yoshida has confirmed Sony is working on these features.
The PS Now's Beta Pricing: Expensive or Overly Expensive?
Recently, the rental prices for the PS Now have been leaked from its beta testing. The community immediately had something to say about the matter.
Considering the lowest price tag was set at $3 for four hours of renting major titles, according to a survey, it's almost no surprise some people are even calling this as Sony's fatal move for its PS4.
Game Informer reports beta participants received an email that seems to serve as the justification for the pricing. In the email, Sony reiterates the pricing for the PS Now beta is set by developers and publishers.
Given the PS Now will follow the rental system for streaming games, the report states the titles will be stored on a server and can be accessed via the PS3 or PS4, with other PlayStation devices like the PS Vita and PlayStation TV to follow suit.
The duration periods seem experimental as it is, as the source claims the shortest period, which is 4 hours, is too brief for a good look into a game, especially when it is priced at $3.
Game Informer has created a chart detailing the PS Now's beta price rentals as well as the price on retail and on the PS4. From the price range alone, buying a game in retail—that is, from online retailers like GameStop and Amazon—would be much cheaper than renting it for 90 days on the PS Now, according to the report.
Then again, the major edge of the PS Now lies in the backwards compatibility of games. This means that if users only have a PS4, they can now play a PS3 or PSOne game on that console.
Of course, much like the beta phase of the PlayStation Now, it's still good to note the pricing is still on beta mode and can change, with a big possibility that feedback may be a major influence on the change.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge: Top Reasons To Upgrade From Galaxy Note 3 Or Galaxy Note 2
- Android 5.0 L November And December Rollout: Android One, Nexus, Google Play, Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 4
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition' Warrior, Rogue, Mage Gameplay And Combat Strategies
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ And ‘Rogue’ Updates: More Revealed For Co-Op, Collector’s Edition And Possible PC Debut
- iOS 8 Bugs: Minor, Moderate And Serious Issues Why Users Should Not Upgrade Immediately
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best