German Media Offered Money for Photos of Unconscious Michael Schumacher Inside the Hospital
By Rachelle Corpuz | June 25, 2014 1:05 PM EST
In light of recent events involving Michael Schumacher's stolen medical records, it has been revealed that several security intrusions and attempted privacy breach were previously discovered whilst the seven-time world champion was being treated in the Grenoble hospital.
Ferrari Formula One driver Michael Schumacher of Germany celebrates after taking the pole position at the end of the qualifying session for the Bahrain Formula One Grand Prix at the Sakhir racetrack in Manama in this March 11, 2006 file picture.
According to an AFP report, a number of German reporters were offered money to take pictures of an unconscious Schumacher inside the hospital. However, the pictures were never made available in the public. Reportedly, a German journalist once disguised as a priest just so he could gain access to Schumacher's room.
Since then, the hospital has laid out "strict measures" to ensure that Schumacher's medical records will not be put accessed by the wrong people. The hospital had prevented Schumacher's staff from retrieving his medical data by means of a computer system. In addition, several aliases were used to protect Schumacher. The 45-year-old Formula One (F1) ace once used the name "Jeremy Martin" in hardcopy versions of his medical records in an attempt to conceal his identity.
Recently, Schumacher's manager Sabine Kehm has announced that the F1 legend's medical records were stolen. French police is now investigating the case, but no significant leads have been discovered yet.
"For now nothing is certain in this case," Grenoble presecutor Jean-Yves Coquillat told AFP via Yahoo. Coquillat said that the "alleged thief was asking for 60,000 Swiss francs in exchange of Schumacher's hospitalisation records which summarise everything that had transpired inside the Grenoble hospital." He further said that the culprit has emailed parts of the documents to prove its authenticity. He said that the emailed documents weren't included in Schumacher's final medical report and believed that those files were merely an initial written report.
A source close to the matter stated that the said documents detail the report made by Schumacher's doctors for his transfer to Lausanne after waking up from coma.
Kehm made the official announcement that Schumacher is no longer in a coma on June 16. He reportedly has been transferred to a medical facility in Lausanne, Switzerland to continue his rehabilitation treatment. German news outlet Bild reported that Schumacher is progressively interacting with the people around him. However, experts say that it is still a long road to recovery for the former race car driver.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?