Malaysian Airlines Flight 370: Blog Site Retracts Claim that Pilot Used Photoshop on Image of Jet
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 25, 2014 12:57 PM EST
A blog in Orient Post that originally questioned the authenticity of the image of a jet believed to be that of the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 and discovered by pilot Michael Hoebel has retracted its claim.
A man travelling on a stolen passport on the missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 was a young Iranian who has no links to terrorists.
The retraction was made after Hoebel provided the editor of Orient Post, Mr L'Angelle, links to the original copies of the images on the TomNod Web site, "irrefutably showing that Mr. Hoebel did not in any way alter, doctor, or photoshop these images."
Orient Post's retraction reads:
"Status quo of Orient Post report on Michael Hoebel and his image regarding missing aircraft in Gulf of Thailand. The person in question named above has sent an email regarding his claims as to the location of the aircraft .... The documents relayed in the email will be reviewed; in the meantime, all reference to Mike Hoebel's credibility at Orient Post as being a "fraud" will be removed .... It is believed that Mr. Hoebel probably acted in good faith and his effort was the result of a great deal of research."
International Business Times previously reported both on the discovery of Hoebel and the claim in the Orient Post blog that questioned the authenticity of the image in a news article on May 1, 2014.
IBT has also issued an erratum to reflect the retraction made by Orient Post.
Meanwhile, the aviation industry recently marked the 100th day that the ill-fated plane went missing, and until now authorities are still searching for the aircraft that was bound for Beijing with 239 people on board.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Update: Wreckage Found In Indian Ocean To Be Verified
- Gaza Conflict Turns Showbiz With Lady Gaga and Hollywood Celebrities
- MH370: Kiwi Author Insists On Pilot Suicide Theory
- Facebook Scam Has Qantas Official Logo And Tempting Offer Of $1,500 Free Voucher
- Kiwi Travel Lodge Owner Held For Drugged Sex Abuse And Its Filming: Victims Are Backpackers From All Over The World
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date