FIFA World Cup 2014 Standings: Group D Results: Costa Rica and Uruguay Through
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 25, 2014 12:49 PM EST
FIFA WORLD CUP 2014 BRAZIL
GROUP D RESULTS
QUALIFIED: COSTA RICA and URUGUAY
South American teams prevail once again as Costa Rica and Uruguay qualify from group D.
The virtual group of death which contained three former World Cup winners were caught by surprise when the team that has never won it ended up qualifying first. Costa Rica went into the last round of matches already guaranteed a place in the top 16 and were only fighting for the top position.
Italy needed only a draw to advance and t looked like they were going to manage it until late in the match when Atletico Madrid's Diego Godin found the back of the net in the 81st minute. The Italians held possession for most of the match but it only took one moment of brilliance and Godin sent Uruguay through making the tally of South American teams go up to five in the last 16. Italy were in control at the beginning of the match but everything started to fall apart when they found themselves down to 10 men when Claudio Marchisio was sent out.
Costa Rica and England ended in a drraw which was enough for Costa Rica to keep the top spot and did not help the England team to save face in rather disappointing campaign.
Full Match Results:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Top 10 WTA Fastest Tennis Serves of All Time
- Without LeBron James, Kevin Durant And Other Stars, Team USA Looks to James Harden As Leader In 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- Amazon Threatened by Google’s Partnership with Barnes and Noble