FIFA World Cup 2014 Standings: Group D Results: Costa Rica and Uruguay Through
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 25, 2014 12:49 PM EST
FIFA WORLD CUP 2014 BRAZIL
GROUP D RESULTS
QUALIFIED: COSTA RICA and URUGUAY
South American teams prevail once again as Costa Rica and Uruguay qualify from group D.
The virtual group of death which contained three former World Cup winners were caught by surprise when the team that has never won it ended up qualifying first. Costa Rica went into the last round of matches already guaranteed a place in the top 16 and were only fighting for the top position.
Italy needed only a draw to advance and t looked like they were going to manage it until late in the match when Atletico Madrid's Diego Godin found the back of the net in the 81st minute. The Italians held possession for most of the match but it only took one moment of brilliance and Godin sent Uruguay through making the tally of South American teams go up to five in the last 16. Italy were in control at the beginning of the match but everything started to fall apart when they found themselves down to 10 men when Claudio Marchisio was sent out.
Costa Rica and England ended in a drraw which was enough for Costa Rica to keep the top spot and did not help the England team to save face in rather disappointing campaign.
Full Match Results:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools