FIFA World Cup 2014 Standings: Group D Results: Costa Rica and Uruguay Through
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 25, 2014 12:49 PM EST
FIFA WORLD CUP 2014 BRAZIL
GROUP D RESULTS
QUALIFIED: COSTA RICA and URUGUAY
South American teams prevail once again as Costa Rica and Uruguay qualify from group D.
The virtual group of death which contained three former World Cup winners were caught by surprise when the team that has never won it ended up qualifying first. Costa Rica went into the last round of matches already guaranteed a place in the top 16 and were only fighting for the top position.
Italy needed only a draw to advance and t looked like they were going to manage it until late in the match when Atletico Madrid's Diego Godin found the back of the net in the 81st minute. The Italians held possession for most of the match but it only took one moment of brilliance and Godin sent Uruguay through making the tally of South American teams go up to five in the last 16. Italy were in control at the beginning of the match but everything started to fall apart when they found themselves down to 10 men when Claudio Marchisio was sent out.
Costa Rica and England ended in a drraw which was enough for Costa Rica to keep the top spot and did not help the England team to save face in rather disappointing campaign.
Full Match Results:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks