Cristiano Ronaldo Pays Tribute to Cancer-Stricken Child Through His Haircut; Modestly Admits They Have No Chance Winning the World Cup
By Rachelle Corpuz | June 25, 2014 12:14 PM EST
Cristiano Ronaldo's new haircut during the Portugal's match against U.S. has evoked quite an uproar amongst fans who watched the game. Cristiano was seen sporting a haircut with a funky zigzag engraving on the right side. A tweet which circulated on social media suggested that Cristiano's haircut was his way of paying tribute to a cancer-stricken child.
Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo takes part in a training session ahead of the team's 2014 World Cup soccer match against Ghana, in Campinas, June 24, 2014 . REUTERS/Mauro Horita
The tweet said that Cristiano has shaved his head to mirror the scar that the child named Erik Ortiz Cruz had to remove a brain tumour. Erik is a 14-month old child who is suffering from a disease called cortical dysplasia. The child reportedly was suffering from a brain abnormality which causes up to 30 seizures every day.
In March, Metro reported that Cristiano agreed to pay for Erik's medical bills in a generous attempt to help the child's family, who have been frantically trying to raise money to cover Erik's expensive medical treatment. In addition to the money that the 29-year-old Portuguese footballer has pledged, he also reportedly donated signed gears to a charity auction.
The Real Madrid superstar has yet to comment on the unconfirmed story, but according to a report by Dead Spin, the article spreading on social media is not true. "There are no reports sourced to Ronaldo or, for that matter, from anyone who isn't a random jabroni on Twitter, saying that he shaved his head for Erik Ortiz Cruz," wrote Dead Spin.
Meanwhile, Ronaldo has acknowledged the fact that his nation may not just be ready to win a World Cup title. He admitted that Portugal is just an average team. "It would be lie to say that we are a top team," Ronaldo said in a statement after the dramatic draw with the U.S.
"We have many limitations and suffer from injuries such as with Pepe and Coentrao."
"This limits us a lot."
Ronaldo admitted that their team aren't at the "best level," which is a big factor why they find it difficult to beat the other great nations participating in the tournament.
"I'm not a hypocrite, I never thought we could win the tournament."
Portugal will face Ghana on June 26.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks