Samsung Releases Galaxy S5 Sport and Teases Galaxy Wear; Samsung Tizen Phone Gets Leaked
By Gel Galang | June 25, 2014 11:06 AM EST
There have been leaks of the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active spotted not too long ago, but now a surprising new version of the device has also been spotted for Sprint.
A new Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone is displayed at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona February 23, 2014. Samsung Electronics unveiled a new smart watch and fitness band along with the latest version of its flagship Galaxy smartphone on Monday, demonstrating how the battleground for innovation is shifting from the hand to the wrist.Picture taken on February 23. REUTERS/Albert Gea
Touted as the Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport, this supposedly exclusive to Sprint smartphone seems to be another variety of the Samsung Galaxy S5, only this time with a slight flavor taken from the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active that has been recently announced.
According to GSM Arena, the Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport is looking at a more rugged appearance of the Samsung Galaxy S5 minus the military-level certification, as it only has the IP 67 rating for resistance to water and dust.
As far as the specs inside the smartphone are concerned, it features pretty much the same as the Samsung Galaxy S5, with its 5.1-inch 1080p display, 2.5 GHz quad-core with Snapdragon 801 chipset, 2GB of RAM, 16-megapixel rear with LED flash and 2-megapixel front cameras and the heart rate monitor all included.
One difference to Samsung's flagship smartphone is that the phone is relatively bigger and thicker overall. The source states that the Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport will be released this week, with two variations, the Electric Blue and Cherry Red colours, and wil be offered for a limited time. There's also a $50 off discount on the Gear Fit wristband with every purchase of the Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport.
Galaxy Wear May See Light at Google I/O
With all eyes turned to the upcoming Google I/O event, this venue seems to be the likely place where Samsung may debut its wearable device, the Galaxy Wear.
This follows the several reports pointing to the trademark of the Samsung Galaxy Wear name by the South Korean company. Even though this does not immediately mean that the product will see a release or even a reveal, considering that Samsung's other rival brands are also chipping in some of their gear devices, including the LG G Watch and the Moto 360, it may not be far from the case.
Gotta Be Mobile reports that there have even been rumours where Samsung Galaxy Wear may join the prize lists for those who will be attending the event, though for now, these should be treated with a grain of salt.
The Samsung Tizen Phone Pictured
The Samsung ZeQ had been leaked time and again early this year, with it having been seen as possibly Samsung's first Tizen phone. But after a number of delays on the part of Samsung, this NTT DoCoMo-slated device had been scrapped.
As seen in the photos in the link, the outside looks very much like much of Samsung's many smartphones. An NTT DoCoMo branding can be seen at the top of the phone, while the specs were very much the same as Samsung's hardware.
This includes a 4.8-inch display, an LED flash on the rear camera, a Snapdragon 800 processor and a 2600 mAh battery. There are no updates on whether NTT DoCoMo will be resuming its plan to roll out the Samsung ZeQ Tizen phone.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Sims 4' First Expansion Pack To Roll Out Tomorrow With Halloween Theme Via Teaser Images
- The Pirate Bay Contains Malicious Advertisements: Using TPB Can Infect Your Computer With Malware
- Windows Insider Program: How to Get Windows 10 the Next Generation Operating System
- ‘Destiny’ New DLC For PlayStation And Xbox: Future Missions, Strikes And Raids Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3X Expectations: Snapdragon 810 64-Bit Processor, No 4K Overheating And Longer 4K Videos
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money