Steven Soderbergh's The Girlfriend Experience As A TV Series
By Tanya Diente | June 25, 2014 9:21 AM EST
Steven Soderbergh may already be retired but he is still busy coming up with new producing and directorial projects, and this includes a TV series based on his film "The Girlfriend Experience."
According to JoBlo, "The Girlfriend Experience" was originally released back in 2009. It barely broke even on its $1.3 million budget even though it represented porn star Sasha Grey. Now, Starz is taking on the movie to television in the form of a 13 episode anthology series. The TV series will still follow a similar plot to the feature film.
According to Deadline, "The Girlfriend Experience" explores the relationships of the most exclusive courtesans who provide their clients with far more than just sex. These courtesans provide the "girlfriend experience." They share intimacies more common to romantic partners or husbands and wives, becoming quasi-lovers and confidants who are richly paid for their time.
According to executive producer Philip Fleishman, many of these women who provide the "girlfriend experience" are extremely accomplished, ranging from musicians in major orchestras to PhD candidates in the sciences. They often feel empowered by the control and economic freedom their work as GFE's affords them.
While there is still no word whether Soderbergh will direct the TV series, he will however serve as the executive producer with Philip Fleishman. Amy Seimetz will write the series for "The Girlfriend Experience" with filmmaker Lodge Kerrigan.
Deadline quoted Soderbergh on his opinion on a TV series version of his 2009 movie.
"We're in an exciting period of auteur-driven television right now," he said. "When Philip floated the idea of a Girlfriend Experience-inspired television show, I thought: 'let's make it a different woman in a different city, let's pair two independent writer-directors, one male and one female, and let them do the whole thing."
Soderbergh said he had known Lodge for 20 years and is also a fan of Amy Seimetz when he saw her first feature "Sun Don't Shine" last summer.
"The Girlfriend Experience" will reunite Soderbergh with Starz CEO Chris Albrecht after 11 years since the two worked on the improved Washington DC comedy "K Street."
Aside from the "The Girlfriend Experience," Steven Soderbergh is also known for his movies "Oceans 11," "Traffic," "Contagion," "Side Effects" and the upcoming Cinemax series "The Knick." He also won an Emmy last year for directing the HBO movie "Behind the Candelabra."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 22-26, 2014: Consequences Of The Crichton-Clark Blast
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- Ryan Gosling And Eva Mendes Gushes Over Newborn Daughter
- ‘Top Gun 2’ Update: ‘The Jungle Book’ Writer Onboard, Tom Cruise Likely To Reprise His Role
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- New Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Released, Verizon Guide and Installation