Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Spoilers: Shredder's Look Sparks Criticisms
By Tanya Diente | June 25, 2014 9:10 AM EST
A single photo of the villain Shredder in the movie adaptation of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" has been leaked revealing his new look, which received plenty of criticisms especially from TMNT fans.
U.S. director Michael Bay takes pictures with his camera on the red carpet as he arrives for the world premiere of the film "Transformers: Age of Extinction" in Hong Kong June 19, 2014.
Leonardo, Michelangelo, Raphael, and Donatello, heroes in a half-shell have been all over the marketing campaign for "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles." But Paramount has been a bit stingier with reveals of the movie's villain Shredder, who will be played by William Fichtner.
Well not until recently when a photo of Shredder was leaked on twitter by TMNT_Fansite revealing the best look of the character so far.
The classic villain Shredder in "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" has naturally been a Japanese guy, and while Fichtner is not Japanese the influence is clear on the picture.
On the picture, Shredder is facing the turtle's master Splinter. Also he seems to be wearing a samurai suit of armour which Slash Film described as a cross between a Transformer and a suit that's been attacked by the knife section of Williams-Sonoma (check photo from TMNT_Fansite).
Examiner also pointed out Shredder's new look which can be taken into two perspectives: one would be the refreshing look of the armour, while the other is that it deviates too much from the original concept. There is too much going on in Shredder's armour itself that some fans have reportedly already mocked it, relating it to "Edward Scissorhands" and "Transformers."
Even the actor portraying Shredder is not Japanese. The role of Oroku Saki, who becomes Shredder, is played by William Fichtner who is born and raised in the US. This choice of actor according to inquisitr also angered traditionalist fans.
Shredder's character in the new movie reportedly also deviates from the classic "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles."
Based on the voiceover from the trailer, it can be deemed that Shredder is responsible for creating the turtles. Shredder and April O'Neil's dad teamed up to try and make the heroes however one thing led to another, and he becomes the villain.
Although the trailer is exciting, there is still a stigma surrounding the movie that traditional fans are disappointed about.
Although Michael Bay is not directing "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles," he has hands on as the producer of the movie. Apparently the look of Shredder has Michael Bay written over it and according to inquisitr, traditionalist fans of the heroes hate how Bay has butchered up their childhood dreams by incorporating "Transformers" into the movie.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens’ Leaked Dialogue Of Han Solo From Upcoming Trailer [Spoilers]
- Beyonce’s ‘Ring Off’ Isn’t About Her Alleged Crumbling Marriage to Jay Z, But About Her Parents [VIDEOS]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced