Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Spoilers: Shredder's Look Sparks Criticisms
By Tanya Diente | June 25, 2014 9:10 AM EST
A single photo of the villain Shredder in the movie adaptation of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" has been leaked revealing his new look, which received plenty of criticisms especially from TMNT fans.
U.S. director Michael Bay takes pictures with his camera on the red carpet as he arrives for the world premiere of the film "Transformers: Age of Extinction" in Hong Kong June 19, 2014.
Leonardo, Michelangelo, Raphael, and Donatello, heroes in a half-shell have been all over the marketing campaign for "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles." But Paramount has been a bit stingier with reveals of the movie's villain Shredder, who will be played by William Fichtner.
Well not until recently when a photo of Shredder was leaked on twitter by TMNT_Fansite revealing the best look of the character so far.
The classic villain Shredder in "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" has naturally been a Japanese guy, and while Fichtner is not Japanese the influence is clear on the picture.
On the picture, Shredder is facing the turtle's master Splinter. Also he seems to be wearing a samurai suit of armour which Slash Film described as a cross between a Transformer and a suit that's been attacked by the knife section of Williams-Sonoma (check photo from TMNT_Fansite).
Examiner also pointed out Shredder's new look which can be taken into two perspectives: one would be the refreshing look of the armour, while the other is that it deviates too much from the original concept. There is too much going on in Shredder's armour itself that some fans have reportedly already mocked it, relating it to "Edward Scissorhands" and "Transformers."
Even the actor portraying Shredder is not Japanese. The role of Oroku Saki, who becomes Shredder, is played by William Fichtner who is born and raised in the US. This choice of actor according to inquisitr also angered traditionalist fans.
Shredder's character in the new movie reportedly also deviates from the classic "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles."
Based on the voiceover from the trailer, it can be deemed that Shredder is responsible for creating the turtles. Shredder and April O'Neil's dad teamed up to try and make the heroes however one thing led to another, and he becomes the villain.
Although the trailer is exciting, there is still a stigma surrounding the movie that traditional fans are disappointed about.
Although Michael Bay is not directing "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles," he has hands on as the producer of the movie. Apparently the look of Shredder has Michael Bay written over it and according to inquisitr, traditionalist fans of the heroes hate how Bay has butchered up their childhood dreams by incorporating "Transformers" into the movie.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- Norman Reedus Instagrams ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Poster Featuring Rick Grimes With A Twist
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect