FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #48 Algeria vs. Russia
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 25, 2014 9:07 AM EST
Belgium's Toby Alderweireld (L) and Russia's Alexander Kokorin fight for the ball during their 2014 World Cup Group H soccer match at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro June 22, 2014.
The forty eighth match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Algeria and Russia. The Group H match should be quite an interesting contest between the two as this will be the last chance for both the teams to try for a berth in the "group of 16."
Algeria: Algeria did not start of the tournament well. It suffered a loss against Belgium. However, there were several things that it did right during the match. Belgium, which had come to the tournament as one of the strongest teams, was the first to concede a goal. Algeria went ahead of the European team after Sofiane Feghouli scored a goal at the 25th minute. However, it failed to maintain the advantage as it conceded 2 goals in the second half and lost the match. It did not make similar mistake against Korea Republic. It scored 3 goals in the first half itself and eventually won it 4-2. Russia and Korea Republic can still be an obstacle on its way to the next round. Even a draw against Russia may be enough. However, if Korea Republic manages to win against Belgium with a big goal difference (unlikely but possible), Algeria will be eliminated. That is why it must win against Russia to confirm its berth in the "group of 16."
Russia: Russia, on the other hand, has to win this match too. Unlike Algeria, a mere draw won't be enough for Russia to proceed to the next round. Russia only has 1 point at the moment. It has to collect 3 more with a win here and hope Korea Republic does not win against with a big margin. Russia failed to secure a win against the Asian team. The result of the match (1-1) will haunt Russia if it fails to qualify for the next round despite starting the tournament as one of the favourites to get past the group stages. It lost against Belgium as well. Divock Origi's goal at the 88th minute was enough for Belgium to win the match. Russia has scored only 1 goal in 2 matches. It must attack more and score as that is the only way it can stay in the tournament.
Head to Head
These two teams played only once against each other before. Both scored 2 goals each as the match ended in a draw.
Algeria: Sofiane Feghouli and Abdelmoumene Djabou
Russia: Andrey Eshchenko and Aleksandr Kokorin
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 5 pm (local time) on June 26, which means it is 6 am on June 27 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Arena da Baixada in Curitiba.
Russia will be able to defend well. It will score at the same time and win the match 2-1.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation