FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #48 Algeria vs. Russia
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 25, 2014 9:07 AM EST
Belgium's Toby Alderweireld (L) and Russia's Alexander Kokorin fight for the ball during their 2014 World Cup Group H soccer match at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro June 22, 2014.
The forty eighth match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Algeria and Russia. The Group H match should be quite an interesting contest between the two as this will be the last chance for both the teams to try for a berth in the "group of 16."
Algeria: Algeria did not start of the tournament well. It suffered a loss against Belgium. However, there were several things that it did right during the match. Belgium, which had come to the tournament as one of the strongest teams, was the first to concede a goal. Algeria went ahead of the European team after Sofiane Feghouli scored a goal at the 25th minute. However, it failed to maintain the advantage as it conceded 2 goals in the second half and lost the match. It did not make similar mistake against Korea Republic. It scored 3 goals in the first half itself and eventually won it 4-2. Russia and Korea Republic can still be an obstacle on its way to the next round. Even a draw against Russia may be enough. However, if Korea Republic manages to win against Belgium with a big goal difference (unlikely but possible), Algeria will be eliminated. That is why it must win against Russia to confirm its berth in the "group of 16."
Russia: Russia, on the other hand, has to win this match too. Unlike Algeria, a mere draw won't be enough for Russia to proceed to the next round. Russia only has 1 point at the moment. It has to collect 3 more with a win here and hope Korea Republic does not win against with a big margin. Russia failed to secure a win against the Asian team. The result of the match (1-1) will haunt Russia if it fails to qualify for the next round despite starting the tournament as one of the favourites to get past the group stages. It lost against Belgium as well. Divock Origi's goal at the 88th minute was enough for Belgium to win the match. Russia has scored only 1 goal in 2 matches. It must attack more and score as that is the only way it can stay in the tournament.
Head to Head
These two teams played only once against each other before. Both scored 2 goals each as the match ended in a draw.
Algeria: Sofiane Feghouli and Abdelmoumene Djabou
Russia: Andrey Eshchenko and Aleksandr Kokorin
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 5 pm (local time) on June 26, which means it is 6 am on June 27 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Arena da Baixada in Curitiba.
Russia will be able to defend well. It will score at the same time and win the match 2-1.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance