FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #48 Algeria vs. Russia
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 25, 2014 9:07 AM EST
Belgium's Toby Alderweireld (L) and Russia's Alexander Kokorin fight for the ball during their 2014 World Cup Group H soccer match at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro June 22, 2014.
The forty eighth match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Algeria and Russia. The Group H match should be quite an interesting contest between the two as this will be the last chance for both the teams to try for a berth in the "group of 16."
Algeria: Algeria did not start of the tournament well. It suffered a loss against Belgium. However, there were several things that it did right during the match. Belgium, which had come to the tournament as one of the strongest teams, was the first to concede a goal. Algeria went ahead of the European team after Sofiane Feghouli scored a goal at the 25th minute. However, it failed to maintain the advantage as it conceded 2 goals in the second half and lost the match. It did not make similar mistake against Korea Republic. It scored 3 goals in the first half itself and eventually won it 4-2. Russia and Korea Republic can still be an obstacle on its way to the next round. Even a draw against Russia may be enough. However, if Korea Republic manages to win against Belgium with a big goal difference (unlikely but possible), Algeria will be eliminated. That is why it must win against Russia to confirm its berth in the "group of 16."
Russia: Russia, on the other hand, has to win this match too. Unlike Algeria, a mere draw won't be enough for Russia to proceed to the next round. Russia only has 1 point at the moment. It has to collect 3 more with a win here and hope Korea Republic does not win against with a big margin. Russia failed to secure a win against the Asian team. The result of the match (1-1) will haunt Russia if it fails to qualify for the next round despite starting the tournament as one of the favourites to get past the group stages. It lost against Belgium as well. Divock Origi's goal at the 88th minute was enough for Belgium to win the match. Russia has scored only 1 goal in 2 matches. It must attack more and score as that is the only way it can stay in the tournament.
Head to Head
These two teams played only once against each other before. Both scored 2 goals each as the match ended in a draw.
Algeria: Sofiane Feghouli and Abdelmoumene Djabou
Russia: Andrey Eshchenko and Aleksandr Kokorin
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 5 pm (local time) on June 26, which means it is 6 am on June 27 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Arena da Baixada in Curitiba.
Russia will be able to defend well. It will score at the same time and win the match 2-1.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’