The Fault in Our Stars Actor Ansel Elgort to Play Role of American Pianist in New Movie, Van Cliburn
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | June 25, 2014 8:43 AM EST
From Broadway, to a brother role in "Divergent" and to a cancer-stricken teenager who falls in love with another terminally ill teen in "The Fault in Our Stars" (TFIOS), Ansel Elgort is becoming a household name, and adding to his credits is a recent report, confirming that the actor landed the title role of an American piano prodigy in the new movie "Van Cliburn."
Actress Shailene Woodley and actor Ansel Elgort arrive at the 2014 MTV Movie Awards in Los Angeles, California April 13, 2014.
Deadline reported that Elgort recently signed to play Van Cliburn, a pianist who was recognised worldwide after winning the International Tchaikovsky Piano Competition in Moscow, Russia during the Cold War at the young age of 23.
The "Van Cliburn" film is said to be based on the 1993 Howard Reich book of the same title, which is described on Amazon as the "only complete biography" of one of the world's most well-known classical pianist, Harvey Lavan "Van" Cliburn Jr., who died on Feb 27, 2013.
The 20-year-old New York City's LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts graduate, Ansel Elgort, is set to put the 23-year-old American pianist, Van Cliburn, back to life on the big screens.
Before "The Fault in Our Stars" actor got his name repeatedly gracing the headlines for his roles in "Divergent" and "The Fault in Our Stars," Elgort, who made his decision not to go to college to pursue his acting career, had been a Broadway actor who apparently knows how to play the piano.
Ansel Elgort started to make a name as he made his professional debut on stage with the Off-Broadway drama "Regrets" at the age of 18 and took on his first big screen role in the movie "Carrie." The new "Van Cliburn" actor rose to fame when he played as Caleb in "Divergent," and recently, as Gus Waters alongside Shailene Woodley in "The Fault in Our Stars."
Head of LaGuardia's drama department, Sandy Faison, talked to New York Daily News in 2012, just when Elgort was starting his professional career, and commended Ansel Elgort for his talents.
"He's a very clear type - a handsome leading man," Faison said. "He goes out of his way not to play that up."
According to the Deadline report, Temple Hill partners Wyck Godfrey and Marty Bowen is set to produce the "Van Cliburn" film with Ari Daniel Pinchot, and with Robert M. Johnson set to executive produce. The producers are set to work along with Crystal City Entertainment in association with The Johnson Group.
Aside from his new movie, "Van Cliburn," Ansel Elgort is also reportedly set to star as Tim Mooney in the Jason Reitman comedy-drama film, "Men, Women & Children," with Adam Sandler, Judy Greer and Jennifer Garner.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 6 Spoilers: Abby Sciuto Talks Of Cote de Pablo's Character, 'I Loved Ziva But She Left Us' (Review)
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight