7.9 Magnitude Quake Triggers Small Tsunami Near Alaska
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 24, 2014 10:28 PM EST
An earthquake of 7.9 magnitude strength struck about 15 miles from Little Sitkin Island, Alaska, on Monday, triggering small tsunamis with less than seven inches high of waves.
Sparsely populated villages in an area 1,400 miles southwest of Anchorage widely felt the temblor.
REUTERS/Francisco Alcayaga Mot
A general view shows the aftermath of an earthquake and tsunami that hit the northern port of Iquique, April 2, 2014. The earthquake, with a magnitude of 8.2, struck off the coast of northern Chile near the copper exporting port of Iquique on Tuesday evening, killing six and triggering the tsunami that pounded the shore with 2-meter (7-foot) waves. REUTERS/Francisco Alcayaga Motta
No reports of major damages were declared.
"There was no panic," SkyNews quoted Layton Lockett, city manager in the town of Adak. Lockett was the one who sounded the alarms, telling 150 villagers and people to seek higher ground. "We're a rough and tumble kind of group. We're used to certain types of earthquake, some are stronger ... this one was a little bit more," he added.
Two hours after the initial alert was sounded, residents were back down and everything was normal again.
Ian Dickson, Web site manager for the Alaska Earthquake Information Center, likewise said no initial reports of quake damage were received from Shemya Island.
The 7-inch high tsunami occurred at Amchitka Island. It had diminished even before it reached Adak and Shemya.
According to a report by the AP, U.S. military-operated Eareckson Air Station is located in Shemya Island. The station serves as an early warning radar installation. No damage was found to the air station, Air Force officials said.
Amchitka Island, meantime, was where the U.S. government held underground testings of nuclear weapons in the 1960s and 70s.
Dickson said 17 aftershocks occurred in the first two hours after the quake.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Melbourne Man Gives Up Sex For a Year; Donates £50,000 in Charity
- Rapid Rise in Flu; Hospitals in New Zealand Struggle
- Half a Million Years of Life Lost to Opioid Abuse in U.S.
- 12 Year Old Girl Grows a New Ear in Her Arm After Losing it to a Raccoon
- British Couples Parents Travel to the U.S. for Baby Girls
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown