7.9 Magnitude Quake Triggers Small Tsunami Near Alaska
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 24, 2014 10:28 PM EST
An earthquake of 7.9 magnitude strength struck about 15 miles from Little Sitkin Island, Alaska, on Monday, triggering small tsunamis with less than seven inches high of waves.
Sparsely populated villages in an area 1,400 miles southwest of Anchorage widely felt the temblor.
REUTERS/Francisco Alcayaga Mot
A general view shows the aftermath of an earthquake and tsunami that hit the northern port of Iquique, April 2, 2014. The earthquake, with a magnitude of 8.2, struck off the coast of northern Chile near the copper exporting port of Iquique on Tuesday evening, killing six and triggering the tsunami that pounded the shore with 2-meter (7-foot) waves. REUTERS/Francisco Alcayaga Motta
No reports of major damages were declared.
"There was no panic," SkyNews quoted Layton Lockett, city manager in the town of Adak. Lockett was the one who sounded the alarms, telling 150 villagers and people to seek higher ground. "We're a rough and tumble kind of group. We're used to certain types of earthquake, some are stronger ... this one was a little bit more," he added.
Two hours after the initial alert was sounded, residents were back down and everything was normal again.
Ian Dickson, Web site manager for the Alaska Earthquake Information Center, likewise said no initial reports of quake damage were received from Shemya Island.
The 7-inch high tsunami occurred at Amchitka Island. It had diminished even before it reached Adak and Shemya.
According to a report by the AP, U.S. military-operated Eareckson Air Station is located in Shemya Island. The station serves as an early warning radar installation. No damage was found to the air station, Air Force officials said.
Amchitka Island, meantime, was where the U.S. government held underground testings of nuclear weapons in the 1960s and 70s.
Dickson said 17 aftershocks occurred in the first two hours after the quake.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Ice Bucket Challenge Toddler Scarlett-Rose Davis Who Uses F-Word Apologises - Watch Original Video
- New Nail Polish Changes Colour When Exposed to Date-Rape Drugs: Helps Women Safety
- A Fish That Walks; Scientists Find A Fish That Does Better On Land Than Water[Video]
- Underground Eruption of A Volcano Noticed As Powerful Earthquakes Rock Iceland
- Tiny Beads Found In Shampoo And Exfoliants Are A Threat to the Sydney Harbour
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge