7.9 Magnitude Quake Triggers Small Tsunami Near Alaska
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 24, 2014 10:28 PM EST
An earthquake of 7.9 magnitude strength struck about 15 miles from Little Sitkin Island, Alaska, on Monday, triggering small tsunamis with less than seven inches high of waves.
Sparsely populated villages in an area 1,400 miles southwest of Anchorage widely felt the temblor.
REUTERS/Francisco Alcayaga Mot
A general view shows the aftermath of an earthquake and tsunami that hit the northern port of Iquique, April 2, 2014. The earthquake, with a magnitude of 8.2, struck off the coast of northern Chile near the copper exporting port of Iquique on Tuesday evening, killing six and triggering the tsunami that pounded the shore with 2-meter (7-foot) waves. REUTERS/Francisco Alcayaga Motta
No reports of major damages were declared.
"There was no panic," SkyNews quoted Layton Lockett, city manager in the town of Adak. Lockett was the one who sounded the alarms, telling 150 villagers and people to seek higher ground. "We're a rough and tumble kind of group. We're used to certain types of earthquake, some are stronger ... this one was a little bit more," he added.
Two hours after the initial alert was sounded, residents were back down and everything was normal again.
Ian Dickson, Web site manager for the Alaska Earthquake Information Center, likewise said no initial reports of quake damage were received from Shemya Island.
The 7-inch high tsunami occurred at Amchitka Island. It had diminished even before it reached Adak and Shemya.
According to a report by the AP, U.S. military-operated Eareckson Air Station is located in Shemya Island. The station serves as an early warning radar installation. No damage was found to the air station, Air Force officials said.
Amchitka Island, meantime, was where the U.S. government held underground testings of nuclear weapons in the 1960s and 70s.
Dickson said 17 aftershocks occurred in the first two hours after the quake.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting: Giant 5 Mile Wide UFO Spotted Over the Ocean in NASA Photograph [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting In Portsmouth: Sign Of Alien Life Or Smudge On The Camera [Watch Video]
- Lifestyle Changes Reduces Risk of Dementia, According To World Alzheimer Report 2014
- Death By Ice Bucket Challenge Accident For Kentucky Firefighter
- Mysterious Fireball Spotted Over The Rockies Was A Russian Spy Satellite, Experts Say
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?