7.9 Magnitude Quake Triggers Small Tsunami Near Alaska
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 24, 2014 10:28 PM EST
An earthquake of 7.9 magnitude strength struck about 15 miles from Little Sitkin Island, Alaska, on Monday, triggering small tsunamis with less than seven inches high of waves.
Sparsely populated villages in an area 1,400 miles southwest of Anchorage widely felt the temblor.
REUTERS/Francisco Alcayaga Mot
A general view shows the aftermath of an earthquake and tsunami that hit the northern port of Iquique, April 2, 2014. The earthquake, with a magnitude of 8.2, struck off the coast of northern Chile near the copper exporting port of Iquique on Tuesday evening, killing six and triggering the tsunami that pounded the shore with 2-meter (7-foot) waves. REUTERS/Francisco Alcayaga Motta
No reports of major damages were declared.
"There was no panic," SkyNews quoted Layton Lockett, city manager in the town of Adak. Lockett was the one who sounded the alarms, telling 150 villagers and people to seek higher ground. "We're a rough and tumble kind of group. We're used to certain types of earthquake, some are stronger ... this one was a little bit more," he added.
Two hours after the initial alert was sounded, residents were back down and everything was normal again.
Ian Dickson, Web site manager for the Alaska Earthquake Information Center, likewise said no initial reports of quake damage were received from Shemya Island.
The 7-inch high tsunami occurred at Amchitka Island. It had diminished even before it reached Adak and Shemya.
According to a report by the AP, U.S. military-operated Eareckson Air Station is located in Shemya Island. The station serves as an early warning radar installation. No damage was found to the air station, Air Force officials said.
Amchitka Island, meantime, was where the U.S. government held underground testings of nuclear weapons in the 1960s and 70s.
Dickson said 17 aftershocks occurred in the first two hours after the quake.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Zero-Gravity Update: Coffee Machine Brews Fresh ISSpresso For Astronauts
- Stephen Hawking's Facebook Posts Tell You How The Cosmologist Reacts To 'Theory Of Everything' And 'Interstellar'
- Sydney Heatwave Roundup: Mercury Rising To 40 Degrees, Severe Fire Warnings In Place
- Crop Production Amplifies Carbon Dioxide Cycle
- Musical Training Enhances Long-Term Memory
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics